The news thread - Page 208 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 minute ago, phart said:

What about any topic which is not true and espousing it causes harm, i.e. false accusations. You said it isn't to do with this, but then make a statement where it is part of the group. It's very unclear what you are trying to say. Can you give an explanation what free speech absolutism actually means in practice.

How about the opinion that someone is a criminal or fraudster when they aren't?

If someone was to accuse me publicly of something absurd or a crime then they should have that right but also I have a right to sue them for slander or defamation or report it as a crime.

Thats alot different from someone expressing an unpopular opinion like the far right do or marching like the orange order do. 

If you make false accusations then expect to have to back that up or face the consequences.

I think most ppl understand the difference between freedom of expression and just going about slandering ppl.

Your confusing two different subjects.

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, phart said:

absolutely not you've not differentiated anything, you just state no opinions or topics should be banned, then folk give opinions and topics as examples and you say they don't count. That's not coherent.

When has anyone given topics or subjects as an example? 

Yes I have said that no topics or subjects should be banned. I am a supporter of freedom of speech.

You have gone on a crazy tangent trying mix libel and slander with freedom of expression.

Like anything in life if you directly accuse someone of something serious then you will have to back that up otherwise you will be open to getting sued and you will look like an idiot. You should still be able to do it but there will be consequences.

There shouldn't be consequences with having an unpopular opinion like being anti abortion or attending orange order marches.

In the UK we take these things for granted.

57 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

There shouldn't be consequences with having an unpopular opinion like being anti abortion or attending orange order marches.

In the UK we take these things for granted.

Part of the problem with those two examples though is that often the reasons given for supporting them aren't the genuine underlying reasons. Freedom of expression or speech is then used as a screen to hide behind. However, more and more they're just coming right out and howling at the moon.

It's too late now really to put proper safeguards in place because everyone can get easy access to giving their opinion on any topic. How can you say one person has more of right/qualification to speak than someone else, even if they are? Any body set up to 'police' what's allowed can be accused of an agenda or even just be financially motivated. 

12 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Just been on bbc scotland!

impossible for me to attain what Patrick wants to mandate without spending over £100k

All I could see in bbc is the want to have an EPC rating of C in every house within ten years

10 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Why is it...

In all my years on this planet, I have never - ever - seen anyone reading a copy of the Daily Express?

Not my family or friends; nobody at work; nobody on a train or stood at a bus stop or sat in a pub. Nobody.

I'm guessing none of your family or friends are far right frothing at the mouth morons

30 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

All I could see in bbc is the want to have an EPC rating of C in every house within ten years

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/millions-scots-could-penalised-having-133302688.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAX2uDeASWx-D8NAe7lhp3az3-NJjFVI78JZBPSFCXTx5w2dGucStjzzlV4-S33nguy6xrNRtsmXdV5_OhNg9YnT-EPLimEIUX87MMdFdcFnG6OjKEzuCne7XuBOxy44tJVxTYWXtmGQ4TQSK6WfXxHEbgduffyWYIkAvC11Yx2N

they want to achieve this by not selling gas boilers and not allowing you to sell your home unless it’s epc C rated. The guys a lunatic with no comprehension of reality in pursuit of his ideology.

if I get a grant of £150k  I would consider it as I would have to replace about 25 windows, three sets of patio doors, strp every room in the house back to have insulation installed and redecorate , replace a section of flat roof to allow insulation to be installed, and of course the cost of the pump and installation to quite a depth. I have looked in to it and that’s the approximate cost.  So if Patrick has deep pockets and wants to write some big cheques crack on.

7 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm guessing none of your family or friends are far right frothing at the mouth morons

the daily express freely available to pick up and read with your breakfast at the old course hotel in St. Andrews.  That’s where I last read it.

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

the daily express freely available to pick up and read with your breakfast at the old course hotel in St. Andrews.  That’s where I last read it.

Not sure why thats relevant. A posh golf club is exactly where i'd expect to see a posh gammon scoffing down their full english with a copy of the daily express in front of them

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/millions-scots-could-penalised-having-133302688.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvLnVrLw&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAAX2uDeASWx-D8NAe7lhp3az3-NJjFVI78JZBPSFCXTx5w2dGucStjzzlV4-S33nguy6xrNRtsmXdV5_OhNg9YnT-EPLimEIUX87MMdFdcFnG6OjKEzuCne7XuBOxy44tJVxTYWXtmGQ4TQSK6WfXxHEbgduffyWYIkAvC11Yx2N

they want to achieve this by not selling gas boilers and not allowing you to sell your home unless it’s epc C rated. The guys a lunatic with no comprehension of reality in pursuit of his ideology.

if I get a grant of £150k  I would consider it as I would have to replace about 25 windows, three sets of patio doors, strp every room in the house back to have insulation installed and redecorate , replace a section of flat roof to allow insulation to be installed, and of course the cost of the pump and installation to quite a depth. I have looked in to it and that’s the approximate cost.  So if Patrick has deep pockets and wants to write some big cheques crack on.

Are you saying it would cost £100K to get your home to an EPC rating of C?

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Are you saying it would cost £100K to get your home to an EPC rating of C?

Sounds like he hasn’t been maintaining his home to an acceptable standard and should he come to sell it will be getting a lot less than he expected.  A strange position for someone who is usually so focused on the money.

12 hours ago, Rich NATA said:

Why is it...

In all my years on this planet, I have never - ever - seen anyone reading a copy of the Daily Express?

Not my family or friends; nobody at work; nobody on a train or stood at a bus stop or sat in a pub. Nobody.

My gran used to read it every day, admittedly that's getting on for half a century ago.

"It's a bloody rag" my faither used to inform me, yet he now spends his days binging on GB News. What is it about folk when they get old?

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

1 hour ago, Toepoke said:

My gran used to read it every day, admittedly that's getting on for half a century ago.

"It's a bloody rag" my faither used to inform me, yet he now spends his days binging on GB News. What is it about folk when they get old?

I've always wondered how it's financially viable (a bit like cricket).

Nobody buys it (or at least very few).

I concluded whichever billionaire owns it is losing money on it, but continues with it cos they have an agenda.

6 hours ago, aaid said:

Sounds like he hasn’t been maintaining his home to an acceptable standard and should he come to sell it will be getting a lot less than he expected.  A strange position for someone who is usually so focused on the money.

I think someone is having a wee laugh and a fishing expedition...There are never any posts about the UK govt and their numerous failings so think it's a bit gammon parody at times. I laughed at "three sets of patio doors" 😄 Either that or we're in "the SNP want to know what colour you're painting your child's bedroom" territory...

9 minutes ago, StirlingEgg said:

I think someone is having a wee laugh and a fishing expedition...There are never any posts about the UK govt and their numerous failings so think it's a bit gammon parody at times. I laughed at "three sets of patio doors" 😄 Either that or we're in "the SNP want to know what colour you're painting your child's bedroom" territory...

Oh, I don’t believe a word of what he says, he’s just a troll. 

Was getting my nails done earlier and the woman had BBC news on TV. It came to the local news and for some reason she was getting BBC North Look. It covers Grimsby Lincoln  etc.

wtf.  There was about 15 mins of the programme allocated to migration and Brexit. It was an utter gammonfest. 
That guy Mike  Hookem from UKIP was given a platform to spout what sounded like a 10 minute BNP broadcast. 

Apparantely Nigel Farage is going to be the saviour of the Tories and become their leader. But Mike thinks they will only entice him if they ‘get him into the HoL’ . 

Then, in a separate story, some local company is making baked beans , the BBC anchor saying it would mean ‘we dont need to bring our baked beans in from China’.  Baked beans FFS. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

Was getting my nails done earlier and the woman had BBC news on TV. It came to the local news and for some reason she was getting BBC North Look. It covers Grimsby Lincoln  etc.

wtf.  There was about 15 mins of the programme allocated to migration and Brexit. It was an utter gammonfest. 
That guy Mike  Hookem from UKIP was given a platform to spout what sounded like a 10 minute BNP broadcast. 

Apparantely Nigel Farage is going to be the saviour of the Tories and become their leader. But Mike thinks they will only entice him if they ‘get him into the HoL’ . 

Then, in a separate story, some local company is making baked beans , the BBC anchor saying it would mean ‘we dont need to bring our baked beans in from China’.  Baked beans FFS. 

Farage will be PM in a few years. Hopefully Scotland can just look on aghast as an independent country next door but I won't hold my breath. 😬

Dean "Jimmy Corkhill" Sullivan passes away aged 68

Survived only 5 years after being diagnosed with Prostate cancer

Shame that his death will be overshadowed by Kissinger