Israel V Scotland - Page 19 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

2 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

The first half was an absolute disgrace. It was the failure to learn anything from previous games and lack of self belief and determination that was astonishing. Yes, we’ve played worse, but this time we were completely to blame for our poor showing. It was a shameful 45 minutes and I’m still furious about it. 

And so say all of us.That first half was an abomination.Learned absolutely zero from our previous meetings.They knew exactly what to expect from Israel,then went out and made the same mistakes again.No ability to impose themselves on Israel in a match we had to win.Israel must rub their hands together with glee when they are drawn against us.

14 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

alot of ppl didnt want the gig. clarke has gotten us to our first tournament in 22 years and for that i am grateful. not saying clarke is brilliant but hes the level of manager we can realistically get.

He certainly had the team well drilled on penalty shoot outs - other than that am not sure

23 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

That's fair enough but I'm going by what I saw two days ago and how Austria played vs us last week.  I honestly can't see them dropping points against Israel as they looked absolutely pish as soon as any concerted pressure was applied.  

The other interesting aspect is Austria play them away the match before we play them in Austria - that 5 days will probably go a long way to determining our fate.  

22 hours ago, scotlad said:

It's amazing how short some people's memories are.  Undoubtedly, last night we turned in a tame, listless performance; we showed Israel far too much respect in the first half and although we improved in the second half our final ball was terrible.

That said, it was nowhere near as bad as - and this is just off the top of my head - Kazakhstan away two years ago; Russia (home and away) two years ago; Belgium at home two years ago; Slovakia away in 2016; Georgia away (2015 and 2007); Macedonia away 2008; Czech Republic away 2010; Norway away 2009; Belarus home 2005; Netherlands away 2003.  Hell, it wasn't even as bad as Israel away in 2018, when Alan McGregor saved us from a real hiding!

You missed out the worst one of all, IMO. There is no doubt in my mind the worst ever Scotland performance was against Wales at Hampden in Strachan's first game. I have never seen a Scotland team play as badly as we did in that first half. How we managed to go it at half time 1-0 up is beyond me. We played a wee bit better in the second half but still lost the game. Wales were a pot 6 team at the time.

On 3/29/2021 at 6:42 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Honestly thought we had lost, don't feel so bad now.

Someone skimming through this thread who didn't know what the final score was on Sunday would probably conclude that's what had happened.  :lol:

2 hours ago, Orraloon said:

You missed out the worst one of all, IMO. There is no doubt in my mind the worst ever Scotland performance was against Wales at Hampden in Strachan's first game. I have never seen a Scotland team play as badly as we did in that first half. How we managed to go it at half time 1-0 up is beyond me. We played a wee bit better in the second half but still lost the game. Wales were a pot 6 team at the time.

Aw fuck, aye, that one was a shocker. Wales were poor too and IIRC Chris Coleman's job was on the line at the time and yet despite that, and even after fud face Bale went off injured at half-time, they still managed to come from behind and win!

Even though we played a bit better in the second half we were still sufficiently dreadful enough to self-destruct (didn't Snodgrass get sent off?) and end up - deservedly - losing the game.

On 3/28/2021 at 8:58 PM, Caledonian Craig said:

Get in there Fraser. Kirk will not be happy.

Came on to look for this haha. 

Took it well but overall he's still pish.

We are shite as a whole though, from watching the last couple of games