Israel V Scotland - Page 16 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel V Scotland

Caledonian Craig

Just now, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

get what you pay for ; a manager whos glass ceiling is achieving 3rd place finishes in tables....

am just waiting for someone to come along with the usual 'dont panic lads ' predictions

denmark away draw , then beat them at home......

Lol you must have missed them. they’re a page or 2 back. 

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Course it's not. Austria could drop points in Israel. Both they and Denmark could drop points to each other. No reason why we couldn't hold Denmark to a draw and beat them in front of a Hampden crowd.

This is the issue and has been for the past 20 odd years.... Austria won’t go and drop points in Israel. They will go there to win and not just avoid defeat.
We have the same conversations at the start of every qualifying campaign, we leave ourselves having to get results away to the top seeds which we invariably never achieve. 

Thought there may have been a shift in our mentality after qualifying for the Euro’s, but that tonight was, as much as I hate to say it, the same old story.

The tactics were dead wrong. Credit where it's due, Clarke changed it at half time. 

But it wasn't just that. Far too many of our big players didn't perform.

McGinn - By far his worst game for us

McTominay - tried hard but so many things didn't come off for him. 

Robertson - what is going on with his crossing?

Marshall - he'd have saved that shot in November

McGregor - I really dont understand why he plays 60 games a year

Tierney and Fraser continued to perform well in a Scotland jersey. Both very rarely let us down when fit and avaliable. I think we should be building a system around them. 

I thought McLean played well when he came on. He seems to be getting a lot of stick but I think that’s based on peoples thoughts on him and not judging him on what he did. Thought he looked good. Doubt anyone agrees though.

1 minute ago, duncan II said:

I thought McLean played well when he came on. He seems to be getting a lot of stick but I think that’s based on peoples thoughts on him and not judging him on what he did. Thought he looked good. Doubt anyone agrees though.

He was tidy but was a strange substitution in terms of trying to push on and win the game. 

If there’s one thing these games have highlighted it’s how out of form some of our players are.

Marshall, Christie, Robertson, McGregor - the list goes on. 

Players in great form aren’t even in the squad & loyalty to players at the moment IMO is killing our chances of winning games. 

We actually played better against them last time when we got beat 1-0. At least we made chances that night.

Give ANY pro fitba player the space our midfield gave the Israelis tonight and you'll lose goals.

Lost count of the times the ball broke to McGregor via an error by them and he just gave them it straight back. McTominay was honkin - that "shot" at the edge of the box FFS - and McGinn was even worse, totally anonymous.  Hoping it was just a bad night.

Folk slagging Robertson's crosses but some fker within a light year of the box for him to aim at might be an idea as well.

8 hours ago, duncan II said:

I agree. He gave us a bit more of a presence when he came on without being brilliant. 

For whatever reason we are incapable of playing a 3-4-3 or  5-3-2 without conceding the midfield to the opposition and inviting pressure. It is also leading to indecision at the back and a complete failure to threaten the opposition goal. Let’s get back to a 4-5-1.

Hanley and McKenna would be solid enough, as long as we produced further up the field. We have good players. 

32 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

For whatever reason we are incapable of playing a 3-4-3 or  5-3-2 without conceding the midfield to the opposition and inviting pressure. It is also leading to indecision at the back and a complete failure to threaten the opposition goal. Let’s get back to a 4-5-1.

Hanley and McKenna would be solid enough, as long as we produced further up the field. We have good players. 

Only if Jack and McGregor were sitting in front of the 4. 

58 minutes ago, EddardStark said:

Terrible first half but better in the second half. 12 points against Moldova and Faroes goes without saying. Minimum of 7/12 from the rest for a play off in my opinion. 

Yes exactly and that was always going to be required. Let's say we win every other game but draw in austria and lose in belgium. That would give us 21 points.  That is achievable definitely. We are still unbeaten. C'mon guys thank fuk our players dont think like most on here. I never wanted clarke but I just hope he sees the need for every camp we need fresh impetus. Gilmour and turnbull would have provided it. Loyalty while needed cant be only reason for inclusion.

10 hours ago, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

get what you pay for ; a manager whos glass ceiling is achieving 3rd place finishes in tables....

am just waiting for someone to come along with the usual 'dont panic lads ' predictions

denmark away draw , then beat them at home......

alot of ppl didnt want the gig. clarke has gotten us to our first tournament in 22 years and for that i am grateful. not saying clarke is brilliant but hes the level of manager we can realistically get.