Ryan Gauld - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ryan Gauld

Taylor1996

As someone who has now seen Gauld play in more than a dozen leagues matches this season, being the best player on the park, more times than not. I'm shocked that he's not in the squad. He must be so disappointed. What more does he have to do?

He's performing each week in the Portugese Premeira Liga. Performance wise, he's one of the best players in the league. He's the club captain. He takes every single set piece.

Yes, his club are bottom, but that's because his team mates aren't as good as him. It's not fair to tag all of their players with the same brush. If he were playing with Lisbon or Benfica or Porto, playing is he has been, he'd be in the Scotland squad.

He should be in over Armstrong, McLean, Fraser or  McBurnie.

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

As someone who has now seen Gauld play in more than a dozen leagues matches this season, being the best player on the park, more times than not. I'm shocked that he's not in the squad. He must be so disappointed. What more does he have to do?

He's performing each week in the Portugese Premeira Liga. Performance wise, he's one of the best players in the league. He's the club captain. He takes every single set piece.

Yes, his club are bottom, but that's because his team mates aren't as good as him. It's not fair to tag all of their players with the same brush. If he were playing with Lisbon or Benfica or Porto, playing is he has been, he'd be in the Scotland squad.

Clarke has said he has a friend who has a place in Portugal and he has been ringing his ear about him so he is well aware. Problem is with a 23 -man squad who makes way for him? All the players who got us here apart from real fringies like Hanlon or Paul McGinn deserve to remain  for the time being. I agree that going forward he could be a more reliable option than Fraser if we are talking like-for-like replacement.

19 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Clarke has said he has a friend who has a place in Portugal and he has been ringing his ear about him so he is well aware. Problem is with a 23 -man squad who makes way for him? All the players who got us here apart from real fringies like Hanlon or Paul McGinn deserve to remain  for the time being. I agree that going forward he could be a more reliable option than Fraser if we are talking like-for-like replacement.

Only if they're playing at the top of their game!  I mentioned something similar on the Che Adams thread, in the National side we need to get away from this mentality that we should be loyal to certain players.  Dylan Dykes is a perfect example, he's been benched by QPR, hasn't scored a goal for months and according to the manager, shot of confidence!  Is that someone who should be leading the line for us in our first crucial qualifying games?  Hell no!

I know our options are sometimes limited but this loyalty thing is something that used to rip my knitting about with Strachan, he was the worst for it!

16 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Dylan Dykes is a perfect example, he's been benched by QPR, hasn't scored a goal for months and according to the manager, shot of confidence!  Is that someone who should be leading the line for us in our first crucial qualifying games?  Hell no!

Dykes got man of the match for QPR last night in their 3-2 win v against Millwall.

15 minutes ago, kwhitelaw said:

Only if they're playing at the top of their game!  I mentioned something similar on the Che Adams thread, in the National side we need to get away from this mentality that we should be loyal to certain players.  Dylan Dykes is a perfect example, he's been benched by QPR, hasn't scored a goal for months and according to the manager, shot of confidence!  Is that someone who should be leading the line for us in our first crucial qualifying games?  Hell no!

I know our options are sometimes limited but this loyalty thing is something that used to rip my knitting about with Strachan, he was the worst for it!

Get what you are saying but we also need to have squad spirit and unity. Whenever we play other nations there are always one of two opponents who have more caps than our entire squad; that's because we chop and change far too much. Robertson and Marshall are the only 2 who have 40 caps. Clarke is trying to build a club mentality and he won't do that by jettisoning players at the first opportunity. Adams is in partly because of Dykes' current fragility and though I think he will start v Austria at least there are bench options now, not just Mcburnie.  

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Get what you are saying but we also need to have squad spirit and unity. Whenever we play other nations there are always one of two opponents who have more caps than our entire squad; that's because we chop and change far too much. Robertson and Marshall are the only 2 who have 40 caps. Clarke is trying to build a club mentality and he won't do that by jettisoning players at the first opportunity. Adams is in partly because of Dykes' current fragility and though I think he will start v Austria at least there are bench options now, not just Mcburnie.  

Fine margins. It was WGS downfall when he was blinded by loyalty until it was too late...

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Yeah, it's the "for time being" that must hurt Gauld. It means, unless there's a massive call off list for the Euros, he wont play a part.

He's had a hell of a bad since since he left Dundee United. Had to start from scratch, and now, he's going head to head against big names and big teams, and he's making a name for himself, In one of the top performers in a league that's miles better than the SPL.

Being ignored for McLean, who is being overshadowed weekly by a 20 year old, and Armstrong who is... Armstrong. 

It's short sighted. Gauld is only 25. He should be in the squad. And why there's 4 strikers is beyond me.

59 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Dykes got man of the match for QPR last night in their 3-2 win v against Millwall.

That's good to hear, especially with our games around the corner but my point is still valid!

59 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Agreed and I think Clarke knows how to strike a good balance between unity and not being loyal to a fault which Strachan was.  Gauld is also unlucky in that he's trying to break into the strongest area of our team.  If he'd been an out and out striker or a right back he'd no doubt be in.

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

I really don't understand why you and others keep bringing Kenny McLean into these sort of arguments, they would never be asked to play the same role. If it's just because you can't see McLean playing so bring in a more impact play surely Greg Taylor is the player to miss out.

You need to get over your feelings about Armstrong.

Like it or not McBurnie can be used  tactically of the bench or even start if we want to keep using our hoof ball tactics.

I'll give you Fraser but that's probably a bias in my opinion of him rather than his actual ability.

To be honest I might have had him in the squad ahead of Nisbet.  He has played in that sort of role.

42 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I really don't understand why you and others keep bringing Kenny McLean into these sort of arguments, they would never be asked to play the same role. If it's just because you can't see McLean playing so bring in a more impact play surely Greg Taylor is the player to miss out.

You need to get over your feelings about Armstrong.

Like it or not McBurnie can be used  tactically of the bench or even start if we want to keep using our hoof ball tactics.

I'll give you Fraser but that's probably a bias in my opinion of him rather than his actual ability.

To be honest I might have had him in the squad ahead of Nisbet.  He has played in that sort of role.

That's the thing, though, McLean shouldnt be asked to play in the double-pivot. If he does play there, he should be allowed to get forward, same goes for Fleck and McGregor and McTominay.

I thought Gauld was a dead cert to get in.

I think managers organise their squads by two year campaigns with tweaking only during that period.  Major overhauls after the tournament at the end of campaigns.  I think the autumn is where you might see gauld.....  if and only if he plays at or beyond his current level.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah, it's the "for time being" that must hurt Gauld. It means, unless there's a massive call off list for the Euros, he wont play a part.

He's had a hell of a bad since since he left Dundee United. Had to start from scratch, and now, he's going head to head against big names and big teams, and he's making a name for himself, In one of the top performers in a league that's miles better than the SPL.

Being ignored for McLean, who is being overshadowed weekly by a 20 year old, and Armstrong who is... Armstrong. 

It's short sighted. Gauld is only 25. He should be in the squad. And why there's 4 strikers is beyond me.

Armstrong and Gauld together at United, along with Andy Robertson - what a team that was, and they were all just bairns.  Gauld’s time will come soon I’m sure.  I really hope so. 

A wee transfer to one of the Big Three over there would do him no harm. 

19 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Armstrong and Gauld together at United, along with Andy Robertson - what a team that was, and they were all just bairns.  Gauld’s time will come soon I’m sure.  I really hope so. 

A wee transfer to one of the Big Three over there would do him no harm. 

It was.

And I hope so. This is a clear sign that, no matter how well he's playing, he won't make the Euro squad.

That would be good. Would be funny if ended up back at Lisbon.

3 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Compare like for like; McLean is a defensive midfield while Armstrong and Gauld are attacking ones.

17 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Compare like for like; McLean is a defensive midfield while Armstrong and Gauld are attacking ones.

Just because he plays as a defensive midfielder for his club doesnt mean that it's his best position.. McGinn and McTominay do the same at their clubs.

Neither of them are "defensive".

And if Gauld did play in a double-pivot, he'd do far better than McLean.

Edited by Taylor1996

2 minutes ago, duncan II said:

Can't believe I'm responding, but to not rate Armstrong says a lot of your understanding of football. You get me, brother?

Brother? Ok, Hulk Hogan.

Watch England's equalizer when we played England in 10th June 2017. Brilliant assist for Kane.

6 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

That was nearly 4 years ago.  Armstrong is in the form of his life at the moment 

Are you sure?

In Southampton's previous 15 EPL matches they've won twice. No one in the Southampton team can claim to be in the form of their life... unless their career has been truly awful.

Edited by Taylor1996

13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Are you sure?

In Southampton's previous 15 EPL matches they've won twice. No one in the Southampton team can claim to be in the form of their life... unless their career has been truly awful.

Not much difference to the form of Farense. Gauld must have been awful  most of his career.

I know that's not correct as both gauld and Armstrong are playing well. 

21 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Are you sure?

Yes I am sure he is playing really well regardless of results and you cant blame Armstrong for Girdon not coming to claim the ball or 2 centre backs leaving Europes top scorer at the time totally unmarked 

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Not much difference to the form of Farense. Gauld must have been awful  most of his career.

I know that's not correct as both gauld and Armstrong are playing well. 

He has been.

The difference being is that Farense had spend 18 seasons in the Portugese 2nd Division, till this season.

Southampton are an established EPL team. They've been there for the past eight years. Qualifying for Europe twice. (Not even going to mention their famous youth sytem: Alan Shearer, Mathew LeTissier, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Adam Lalana, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, James Ward Prowse, Danny Ings, Calum Chambers, Luke Shaw)

If you were going to compare Farense to a current EPL team it would probably be Sheffield United. 

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He has been.

The difference being is that Farense had spend 18 seasons in the Portugese 2nd Division, till this season.

Southampton are an established EPL team. They've been there for the past eight years. Qualifying for Europe twice. (Not even going to mention their famous youth sytem: Alan Shearer, Mathew LeTissier, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott, Adam Lalana, Alex Oxlade Chamberlain, James Ward Prowse, Danny Ings, Calum Chambers, Luke Shaw)

If you were going to compare Farense to a current EPL team it would probably be Sheffield United. 

I know plenty about Southampton, they're my local EPL team, I've been to see them a few times and I know quite a few southampon fans.

I applied your logic, nothing else. 

It's no big deal when you get something wrong. Sometimes it's better to say, ah fuck I made a cunt of it and move on

Edited by vanderark14