Your first XI vs Austria (Assuming there's no call offs) - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Your first XI vs Austria (Assuming there's no call offs)

Taylor1996

Third and final edit:

Gordon

McKenna - Hanley - Tierney

Hendry                              Robertson 

McTominay -  Fleck

McGregor

Dykes - McGinn

Edited by Taylor1996

21 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Third and final edit:

Gordon

McKenna - Hanley - Tierney

Hendry                              Robertson 

McTominay -  Fleck

McGregor

Dykes - McGinn

I'd be surprised if we lost with that team. I'd also be surprised if we scored more than zero goals. McGregor simply isn't as creative as Fraser, Christie or Armstrong. McGinn has it in his locker, but it seems a bit wasteful to play him as the 2nd striker. He should be somewhere in midfield.

Marshall

Hendry McKenna Tierney

O'Donnell                                 Robertson

McTominay McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes     Fraser

Christie only just misses out based on his recent Celtic form. Gallagher, too, since he's not being playing much for Motherwell. I think McGregor will start, but I don't want him to.

Guest Scot1

I know he won’t play this but, my team:

Marshall    

Hendry.   Gallagher. McKenna

Armstrong.                     Tierney

McTominay.      McGinn

Christie.         Fraser

Dykes

2 hours ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well last year I'd say Gallagher was consistently our best player over the year. That is why fans have him in over Hendry who lacks experience in big matches in international football unlike Gallagher.

Gallagher did fine in the last internationals. Wonder how he played in the 4-1 humping by Killie at the weekend 

1 minute ago, ProudScot said:

Gallagher did fine in the last internationals. Wonder how he played in the 4-1 humping by Killie at the weekend 

The point is we know he can handle the big pressure international matches and not let us down. We do not know that with Hendry. If he starts in any on these games it will probably be the Faroe Islands match.

Guest Scot1
15 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

He didn’t play, SOD did though, which is why I’d have had Rooney in the squad and starting ahead of him tonight. And why I have Armstrong playing RWB in my team.  I’d have Gallagher in for his experience and leadership, marshalling of the back 3 unit.

Edited by Scot1

On 3/16/2021 at 1:30 PM, PASTA Mick said:

Likely to change several times before kick-off but this is what I'd be tempted to go with -

Marshall

Hendry     GallagIher     Tierney

Armstrong     McTominay     McGregor     Robertson

McGinn

Adams     Fraser

I think that I'd still be happy with this team. 

2 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

Marshall

Hendry McKenna Tierney

O'Donnell                                 Robertson

McTominay McGinn

Armstrong

Dykes     Fraser

Christie only just misses out based on his recent Celtic form. Gallagher, too, since he's not being playing much for Motherwell. I think McGregor will start, but I don't want him to.

I can't see him dropping Gallagher

32 minutes ago, Bino's said:

I can't see him dropping Gallagher

Me neither, but apparently he's not been fully fit and hasn't started for Motherwell lately, so he might end up on the bench. We'll see. 

I'm actually quite excited to see what team Clarke puts out, because you'd imagine it'll be the strongest team available. With the exception of Jack, this might be 10 or 11 of the likely starters in the Euros.

11 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Me neither, but apparently he's not been fully fit and hasn't started for Motherwell lately, so he might end up on the bench. We'll see. 

I'm actually quite excited to see what team Clarke puts out, because you'd imagine it'll be the strongest team available. With the exception of Jack, this might be 10 or 11 of the likely starters in the Euros.

If mctominay shows his club form in midfield Jack will struggle to get back in

Real dilemma is up front

Dykes and Fraser looked great together

But Adams scored 3 in last 4, and goal ruled out for baw hair offside at weekend

3 hours ago, Tartan blood said:

I'd be surprised if we lost with that team. I'd also be surprised if we scored more than zero goals. McGregor simply isn't as creative as Fraser, Christie or Armstrong. McGinn has it in his locker, but it seems a bit wasteful to play him as the 2nd striker. He should be somewhere in midfield.

lol.

Tell me what you really think. ;)

I don't know. Remember when McGregor was on loan to Notts County and he got double figures from attacking midfielder? Celtic don't utilize him properly, neither do we.

I'll most probably do a fourth and final first XI. Seeing McTominay in attack, or the second striker, would be interesting. Could be our Harry Kane.

9 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Real dilemma is up front

But Adams scored 3 in last 4, and goal ruled out for baw hair offside at weekend

I think he'll go with Dykes because he's played before.  But only Scotland would select a forward that can't score in the Championship over a forward scoring in the EPL.  

10 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

lol.

Tell me what you really think. ;)

I don't know. Remember when McGregor was on loan to Notts County and he got double figures from attacking midfielder? Celtic don't utilize him properly, neither do we.

I'll most probably do a fourth and final first XI. Seeing McTominay in attack, or the second striker, would be interesting. Could be our Harry Kane.

Haha sorry, I read that back and it did sound quite dramatic. That would definitely be a competent team you've put out, I just worry about a lack of creativity.

McGregor is an above average player, and can do a good job in most midfield positions. But he is far from the best player in any of those positions. Fairly sure Notts County were in league 1 at the time, which is beneath him.

CDM: McTominay, Jack, McGinn, Armstrong > McGregor

ACM: McGinn, Armstrong, Christie, Fraser > McGregor

I know the manager doesn't see it that way, so I'm probably wasting my breath/typing, but I think McGregor should be a back up, not a first 11 player.

27 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Real dilemma is up front

Personally, I'd prefer McGinn and McTominay both playing the CDM role, and have Jack and McGregor on the bench, but I don't see it happening.

I can see Adams starting against Israel and maybe making the position his own.

1 minute ago, Tartan blood said:

Haha sorry, I read that back and it did sound quite dramatic. That would definitely be a competent team you've put out, I just worry about a lack of creativity.

McGregor is an above average player, and can do a good job in most midfield positions. But he is far from the best player in any of those positions. Fairly sure Notts County were in league 1 at the time, which is beneath him.

I know the manager doesn't see it that way, so I'm probably wasting my breath/typing, but I think McGregor should be a back up, not a first 11 player.

Yeahhhh... you made it sound like that my team would struggle to survive in Scottish League 1. ;)

Yikes! You really don't rate McGregor. I think he's like our Jesse Lingard. At United, in a deep role he was tidy, he kept the ball, metronomic. Look at him now at West Ham where he's playing more advanced. Back in the England squad, scoring tons, etc.

I also get a weird feeling that McTominay might be in defence.

9 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Personally, I'd prefer McGinn and McTominay both playing the CDM role,

I was thinking that, too.

McTominay Is a bit of a ball watcher at times. McGinn would bring pressing to the midfield, kinda like what Fred brings to Manchester United. 

Think it would be a big call from Clarke to stick Adams in straight from the off, plus he has been loyal to Dykes, so most likely Dykes will get the nod tonight.

More a case of how he goes about it.... straight swap or take McGregor off for Adams, and go Dykes and Adams for a while before bringing on McBurnie for Dykes late in the game.

I suspect there is more chance of Adams starting in Israel.

18 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeahhhh... you made it sound like that my team would struggle to survive in Scottish League 1. ;)

Yikes! You really don't rate McGregor. I think he's like our Jesse Lingard. At United, in a deep role he was tidy, he kept the ball, metronomic. Look at him now at West Ham where he's playing more advanced. Back in the England squad, scoring tons, etc.

I also get a weird feeling that McTominay might be in defence.

I actually do like McGregor, though I probably do give the impression I don't sometimes. He is well worth having in the squad, I just wouldn't put him in my first 11. From now on I'll state why others should be in the team, rather than why he shouldn't. Focus on the positives.

Tonight will possibly be a good opportunity to show our next level of progress. I predict a competitive game but we deservedly win 2-0.

41 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

Disagree. It’s all about opinions. McGregor, for me, should start. Alongside McTominay.

1 minute ago, duncan II said:

Disagree. It’s all about opinions. McGregor, for me, should start. Alongside McTominay.

Fair enough. I know probably half the people on here would disagree, as would the manager, who is the only person that really matters.

However, I would not be disappointed to see him start. It's great that we've got so many high quality midfield options that we can even discuss potentially leaving out a player of McGregor's ability.