Jack Hendry - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Hendry

Taylor1996

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

If I picked a squad 1 year from now, there is a decent chance it would look like that. But this is waaaay too soon for Patterson, and probably Hickey as well.

Griffiths dropped for not doing enough but Forrest goes straight back in with only 15mins of football in 6 months? If Griff gets even just a few starts between now and the Euros, he should be in the squad. He's pretty much our only natural goalscorer (up front).

You can't compare Forrest and LG. 

LG won't start many matches for Celtic. I wish he would but I can't see why anything will change. 

Forrest has been so badly missed this season by Celtic. 

11 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'd include him in the squad. 

If I was Clarke, I'd be looking to name a larger squad than normal and bring in some of the form players like Hendry, Hanley, Gauld and Turnbull.

I think my squad would look something like this - 

1. Gordon (Hearts)
  2. Marshall (Derby)
  3. McLaughlin (Rangers)
  4. McCrorie (Livingston)
  5. Robertson (Liverpool)
  6. Hanley (Norwich)
  7. Tierney (Arsenal)
  8. Gallagher (Motherwell)
  9. Cooper (Leeds)
  10. Taylor (Celtic)
  11. Hendry (Oostende) 
  12. Patterson (Rangers)
  13. Hickey (Bologna)
  14. McGinn (Aston Villa)
  15. McGregor (Celtic)
  16. Armstrong (Southampton)
  17. McTominay (Man Utd)
  18. McLean (Norwich)
  19. Christie (Celtic) 
  20. Jack (Rangers)
  21. Turnbull (Celtic)
  22. Gauld (Farense)
  23. Forrest (Celtic)
  24. Fraser (Newcastle)
  25. Paterson (Sheff Wed)
  26. McBurnie (Sheff Utd)
  27. Dykes (QPR)

I've left McKenna out because he's injured and Griffiths doesn't make it because he's not done enough lately but you could easily swap him and McBurnie.  

That's actually close to my 27.

I do think McKenna will be back for the Euros, though. He'll miss the first batch of WC qualifiers.

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/15901-your-scotland-squad-and-first-xi-for-euro-2020/

12 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

Great? I think you are going over the top there.

I just don't rate him and I never have.  

I was looking up the press ratings for the play-offs to get a broad consensus, the average is 7/10 - some 6's and some 8's.  Regardless you have decided you don't rate him.  I don't share the concern based on his most recent performances for us.  

12 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

That's actually close to my 27.

I do think McKenna will be back for the Euros, though. He'll miss the first batch of WC qualifiers.

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/15901-your-scotland-squad-and-first-xi-for-euro-2020/

The 27 I picked was with the matches this month in mind.  They are quite similar.  Look like 5 different players in our 2 lists.

I'd have -

• McLaughlin (Rangers)
  • Patterson (Rangers)
  • Armstrong (Southampton)
  • Forrest (Celtic)
  • Paterson (Sheff Wed)

and you'd have -

• Porteous (Hibernian)
  • McKenna (Nottingham Forest)
  • Johnston (Celtic)
  • Morgan (Inter Miami)
  • Gilmour (Chelsea)

No chance that Armstrong misses out.  I cant see Forrest missing out either, especially for someone like Morgan.

One thing many of you forgot is that we need to build up the cap totals of many of our players as experience is vital in international football. So SOD and Gallagher  for example are now into double figures of caps. Too often we have faced teams who have one of two players with more caps than our combined totals. Bringing in too many new players too quickly is one cause of our failures in past times. Though I agree you can take loyalty too far, a balance must be struck.

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

The 27 I picked was with the matches this month in mind.  They are quite similar.  Look like 5 different players in our 2 lists.

I'd have -

• McLaughlin (Rangers)
  • Patterson (Rangers)
  • Armstrong (Southampton)
  • Forrest (Celtic)
  • Paterson (Sheff Wed)

and you'd have -

• Porteous (Hibernian)
  • McKenna (Nottingham Forest)
  • Johnston (Celtic)
  • Morgan (Inter Miami)
  • Gilmour (Chelsea)

No chance that Armstrong misses out.  I cant see Forrest missing out either, especially for someone like Morgan.

D'oh! My bad.

I think, either way, it'll be too soon for Forrest, though. Before the Dundee United matches he was out for six months.

If I was Steve Clarke I'd do with Gilmour and Johnston what we did with Darren Fletcher and James McFadden and fast track them, same with Hickey.

I was looking at Morgan's season in the US. He was one of the top performers and he  scored some crackers. I'm sure they're in post season right now, so that would help with the self-isolation thing.

I think what these various squads show us is that we are absolutely desperate for goals.  Griffiths isn't playing enough for Celtic to warrant inclusion (and even if he were he rarely performs for Scotland as he does Celtic), Dykes is on a real dry spell with QPR and McBurnie just isn't international class.  It's amazing over the last 20 or so years that we've produced cracking players like Tierney, Robertson, Fletcher, Ferguson, Mcgregor, Gordon, McFadden and yet we never seem to be able to bring through a proper goal scorer.

2 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

D'oh! My bad.

I think, either way, it'll be too soon for Forrest, though. Before the Dundee United matches he was out for six months.

If I was Steve Clarke I'd do with Gilmour and Johnston what we did with Darren Fletcher and James McFadden and fast track them, same with Hickey.

I was looking at Morgan's season in the US. He was one of the top performers and he  scored some crackers. I'm sure they're in post season right now, so that would help with the self-isolation thing.

In my opinion, Mikey Johnston isn't going to be good enough for international football.

I'd have no problem with Gilmour in the team but if he's included, it's likely to be at the expense of another playing playing regularly and at a good level.  It's a big call to have him ahead of someone like Armstrong, Fleck or McLean.  It would be an easier decision to make if he was playing for Chelsea but the new manager isn't even naming him on the bench on a regular basis.

It's an easier decision to make with Hickey or Patterson because it would be at the expense of some of the weakest players in our squad, and probably the two playing club football at the lowest level and without playing very well.  

I'm just not a fan of Morgan.  I've seen less than a handful of good performances from him and he's almost always underwhelmed me from both Celtic and Scotland u21s.  He has done well in the US but it's a league where Johnny Russell has looked like Messi in the past.  Happy for him to prove me wrong, but I just don't think he's good enough.  

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

In my opinion, Mikey Johnston isn't going to be good enough for international football.

I'd have no problem with Gilmour in the team but if he's included, it's likely to be at the expense of another playing playing regularly and at a good level.  It's a big call to have him ahead of someone like Armstrong, Fleck or McLean.  It would be an easier decision to make if he was playing for Chelsea but the new manager isn't even naming him on the bench on a regular basis.

It's an easier decision to make with Hickey or Patterson because it would be at the expense of some of the weakest players in our squad, and probably the two playing club football at the lowest level and without playing very well.  

I'm just not a fan of Morgan.  I've seen less than a handful of good performances from him and he's almost always underwhelmed me from both Celtic and Scotland u21s.  He has done well in the US but it's a league where Johnny Russell has looked like Messi in the past.  Happy for him to prove me wrong, but I just don't think he's good enough.  

for once, I agree with pasta mick on all of the above... 😂

7 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

I'll defer to your greater knowledge on Johnston. Hope you're wrong, though.

Some of the goals that Morgan has scored in the US have been incredible. The notable one being a ricket from about 30 yards in the top corner. In fairness to the MLS, not many of our players have done well over there. Danny Wilson hasn't, Sam Nicholson didn't. 

I remember one under 21 match we were playing Holland. Morgan spent 90 minutes ripping holes out of Denzel Dumfies (he's got 11 full caps for Holland). Dumfies was most in tears at the end of the match as he was constantly left standing.

6 hours ago, Scot1 said:

If McTominay is moved to midfield who between Hanley and Hendry should take the vacant right-centre halve spot?

honestly don’t know not see enough of them.  Give them a half each or game each in next round of games.

7 hours ago, Scot1 said:

If McTominay is moved to midfield who between Hanley and Hendry should take the vacant right-centre halve spot?

Hendry's better on the ball, so I'd go with him.

He plays in the middle of a three for Oostende, that's where I'd play him, too.

Guest Scot1
3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Hendry's better on the ball, so I'd go with him.

He plays in the middle of a three for Oostende, that's where I'd play him, too.

I’m quite happy with Gallagher in the middle of the 3. I’d put Hendry or Hanley on the right and push McTominay into midfield. I’d try Hendry first, have Hanley as backup. I do realise that Gallagher hasn’t had the best of seasons with Motherwell, but he’s never let Scotland down and seems to rise to the occasion in a Scotland shirt.

Just now, Scot1 said:

I’m quite happy with Gallagher in the middle of the 3. I’d put Hendry or Hanley on the right and push McTominay into midfield. I’d try Hendry first, have Hanley as backup. I do realise that Gallagher hasn’t had the best of seasons with Motherwell, but he’s never let Scotland down and seems to rise to the occasion in a Scotland shirt.

For me it's: Cooper - Hendry - Tiermey

Two EPL center backs and one who has been linked with Aston Villa.

Not bad.

Guest Scot1
6 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

For me it's: Cooper - Hendry - Tiermey

Two EPL center backs and one who has been linked with Aston Villa.

Not bad.

Indeed, but Gallagher has put in some really good performances in the Scotland shirt. I’d also be tempted to push Tierney out to wing/back. He’s looked very good going forward for Arsenal and Robertson hasn’t adapted to the wing-back role as well as I’d hoped. Still early days though and he is getting there. But I do think, going forward, we need more from our wing/backs in an attacking sense. They are an important part of our offence in the system we play.

8 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Indeed, but Gallagher has put in some really good performances in the Scotland shirt. I’d also be tempted to push Tierney out to wing/back. He’s looked very good going forward for Arsenal and Robertson hasn’t adapted to the wing-back role as well as I’d hoped. Still early days though and he is getting there. But I do think, going forward, we need more from our wing/backs in an attacking sense. They are an important part of our offence in the system we play.

Robertson has played as a wingback for Liverpool for about 3 years. Him and TAA have never been traditional full backs under Klopp.

Which is why I was confused when he said that he's uncomfortable in the wingback role.... throwing Alex McLeish under the bus, in the process.

Edited by Taylor1996

Guest Scot1
3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Robertson has played as a wingback for Liverpool for about 3 years. Him and TAA have never been traditional full backs under Klopp.

I would say he’s been playing as an attacking fullback. He’s taken time to adjust to the wing/back role for Scotland. He does seem to be getting there, albeit slower than I’d hoped and Tierney has looked good there for Scotland and good going forward for Arsenal. I’d also hoped that the pair would’ve built up a better relationship/understanding between them offensively, even switching roles at times within games. Again it’s happened occasionally but seems to be taking longer than I’d hoped.

Guest Scot1
4 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Oostende have an option to buy at under 2 million? Is this right? For a player being widely regarded as a 10 million transfer value player now? Comedy gold if true, and typical of the shambles of Celtic's transfer market management. 

Perhaps he’ll return to Celtic, they are short on centre halves. Well just have to wait and see what Celtics new manager thinks about him.

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

I would say he’s been playing as an attacking fullback. He’s taken time to adjust to the wing/back role for Scotland. He does seem to be getting there, albeit slower than I’d hoped and Tierney has looked good there for Scotland and good going forward for Arsenal. I’d also hoped that the pair would’ve built up a better relationship/understanding between them offensively, even switching roles at times within games. Again it’s happened occasionally but seems to be taking longer than I’d hoped.

I wouldn't even say attacking full back.

I've just looked at the heat map for the past couple of years. Robertson is on the left more often than the majority of wingers.

As for his relationship with Tierney, I've been comfortable with it. Both are world class players and we're lucky to have then.

Growing up, we had Hendry, Boyd and Calderwood as the three centre backs. Weirdly enough, there is lots of parallels: two EPL centerbacks. A Celtic full back (or ex) playing as a LCB. A centerback named Hendry. A centerback playing for a London team.

Strange.

7 minutes ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Oostende have an option to buy at under 2 million? Is this right? For a player being widely regarded as a 10 million transfer value player now? Comedy gold if true, and typical of the shambles of Celtic's transfer market management. 

I think so.

Oostende could replicate the John Obi Mikel transfer, where Man United bought him for £4m and immediately sold him for £14m.

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Perhaps he’ll return to Celtic, they are short on centre halves. Well just have to wait and see what Celtics new manager thinks about him.

The question was whether Oostende have an option built into the loan agreement. I've seen it suggested on the interweb so will just assume it's true.

Edited by killiefaetheferry