Jack Hendry - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Jack Hendry

Taylor1996

Guest Scot1
3 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I wouldn't even say attacking full back.

I've just looked at the heat map for the past couple of years. Robertson is on the left more often than the majority of wingers.

As for his relationship with Tierney, I've been comfortable with it. Both are world class players and we're lucky to have then.

Growing up, we had Hendry, Boyd and Calderwood as the three centre backs. Weirdly enough, there is lots of parallels: two EPL centerbacks. A Celtic full back (or ex) playing as a LCB. A centerback named Hendry. A centerback playing for a London team.

Strange.

Indeed, sometimes these things just take time, especially at international level where the team/players are only together sporadically. But I do want to see, and we do need more from our wing/backs offensively if we are to improve going forward. 

Guest Scot1

It’ll be interesting to see where Gallagher goes to in the summer. I’d keep Gallagher in the middle of the 3, he’s been solid. I’d try Hendry on the right and push McTominay into midfield 

2 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

Indeed, sometimes these things just take time, especially at international level where the team/players are only together sporadically. But I do want to see, and we do need more from our wing/backs offensively if we are to improve going forward. 

There's Patterson and Hickey.

But hey, I remember Burley being given the nod when McKimmie retired, so you dont have to be a full back to play  wing back. Thinking about it, we had so many very good right backs, back then. Not sure how many caps David Robertson got, (I think he took the huff with Brown or something) but he'd walk into this team. He was like a replica of Alan Hutton, but better.

Guest Scot1
13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

But hey, I remember Burley being given the nod when McKimmie retired, so you dont have to be a full back to play  wing back. Thinking about it, we had so many very good right backs, back then. Not sure how many caps David Robertson got, (I think he took the huff with Brown or something) but he'd walk into this team. He was like a replica of Alan Hutton, but better.

I like the look of Rooney at St Johnstone. It wouldn’t surprise me if he moved on in the summer. At this moment in time I’d have Paterson and Rooney competing for RWB, and I’d start Rooney there just now. 

Edited by Scot1

9 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I like the look of Rooney at St Johnstone. It wouldn’t surprise me if he moved on in the summer. At this moment in time I’d have Paterson and Rooney competing for RWB, and I’d start Rooney there just now. 

I remember when someone first suggested Rooney. Along came the usual put downs a jokes at the person's expense. But sure,why not.

(Just looked it up out of curiosity. David Robertson had 3 caps! Unbelievable. It seems to be a trend with Rangers players not picking up as many caps as they should. I don't think John Brown got any. If both played today, both would be first picks.)

Guest Scot1
13 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I remember when someone first suggested Rooney. Along came the usual put downs a jokes at the person's expense. But sure,why not.

(Just looked it up out of curiosity. David Robertson had 3 caps! Unbelievable. It seems to be a trend with Rangers players not picking up as many caps as they should. I don't think John Brown got any. If both played today, both would be first picks.)

I’m not a St Johnstone fan, but from what I’ve seen of him, he looks like he would slot into the system/role seamlessly and I think would be better than SOD, although at 24 he’s less experienced, although more experienced than Paterson. He’s 6ft 3, seems like a decent footballer, has good pace, engine, is aggressive. I think he’s worth a try.

i have mentioned in a few of my recent posts that I believe we need more from our wing/backs offensively. I think Rooney could provide this on the right, certainly from set pieces and I believe from open play also.

Edited by Scot1

35 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Thinking about it, we had so many very good right backs, back then. Not sure how many caps David Robertson

D'oh!

I meant left back. Before a smartness corrects me.

It's even more bizarre why he didn't win more caps. Who was he up against? Tosh McKinlay? Tom Boyd?

5 minutes ago, Scot1 said:

I’m not a St Johnstone fan, but from what I’ve seen of him, he looks like he would slot into the system/role seamlessly and I think would be better than SOD, although at 24 he’s less experienced, although more experienced than Paterson. He’s 6ft 3, seems like a decent footballer, has good pace, engine, is aggressive. I think he’s worth a try.

Cool.

If he's that good then I'm sure Clarke will get him watched. The tall thing is also a plus, for long diagonals into the back post, etc.

Guest Scot1
2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Cool.

If he's that good then I'm sure Clarke will get him watched. The tall thing is also a plus, for long diagonals into the back post, etc.

His power and physicality alone will make him hard to play against, he’ll cause problems for the opposition at set pieces and in open play, I’ve no doubt about that, more problems than SOD.

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Ok.

Turns out that it's only an option, so, Celtic could take the option off the table.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/john-kennedy-gives-celtic-update-23620557.amp

They can't. The option means for whether Oostende wish to make the deal permanent or not. This would have been written in the initial loan contract.

Celtic would have no say in the matter and will be contractually obligated to accept the offer should Oostende meet the optional fee.

in fairness to Celtic, I don't think anyone foresaw Jack Hendry having such an upturn. Before the season started Celtic probably couldn't believe their luck that a club, would be willing to potentially give them £1.5-2 million for Jack Hendry. Football is a funny old game.

24 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

They can't. The option means for whether Oostende wish to make the deal permanent or not. This would have been written in the initial loan contract.

Celtic would have no say in the matter and will be contractually obligated to accept the offer should Oostende meet the optional fee.

in fairness to Celtic, I don't think anyone foresaw Jack Hendry having such an upturn. Before the season started Celtic probably couldn't believe their luck that a club, would be willing to potentially give them £1.5-2 million for Jack Hendry. Football is a funny old game.

Apparently John Kennedy didn't know 'the details' of the loan deal when asked about Hendry returning 😂

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Apart from being a left footed left back!!!!

2 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Oh cool? Really?

LOL!

And no, you're right. It would appear that Brendan Rodgers actually did see something in him. Ball playing center backs are worth their weight in gold.

Hopefully Oostende have the money.

4 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. I know. I corrected my error in another post. The comparison Is a good one, though. Very much in the Robertson/Hutton mould and he would've been amazing in the LWB role.

:)

That I can agree with. Was a quality player. Better than Hutton defensively.

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

That I can agree with. Was a quality player. Better than Hutton defensively.

Far better. It's a shame he only had three caps.

I still remember him in that European Cup run when Rangers almost got to the final in 92/93 season.

It's amazing to think that the Rangers team had 8 Scots in it (three foreigner rule) and beat the Champions of England twice (Leeds) in the playoffs and were unbeaten against the eventual champions, Marseille.*

*Later to be stripped of the title, because of match fixing.

Edited by Taylor1996

10 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

D'oh!

I meant left back. Before a smartness corrects me.

It's even more bizarre why he didn't win more caps. Who was he up against? Tosh McKinlay? Tom Boyd?

Aye, it was usually Tom Boyd or Tosh McKinlay at LWB, IIRC, although I remember Christian Dailly playing there in France '98. 

As for David Robertson, it was his attitude that cost him caps rather than any lack of ability.  He upset wee Broon anyway.

38 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Aye, it was usually Tom Boyd or Tosh McKinlay at LWB, IIRC, although I remember Christian Dailly playing there in France '98. 

As for David Robertson, it was his attitude that cost him caps rather than any lack of ability.  He upset wee Broon anyway.

Just think how differently it would've been with Robertson instead.

Yeah. I remember. In those days a fair few Scotland players had falling outs with the nanagent/SFA: Robertson, Gough, Duncan Ferguson. (All for different reasons). If Gough didn't take the huff and played at Euro 96, we probably have qualified out of our group. Him and Hendry would have been a stonewall.

31 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

Just think how differently it would've been with Robertson instead.

Yeah. I remember. In those days a fair few Scotland players had falling outs with the nanagent/SFA: Robertson, Gough, Duncan Ferguson. (All for different reasons). If Gough didn't take the huff and played at Euro 96, we probably have qualified out of our group. Him and Hendry would have been a stonewall.

Gough was probably at the peak of his powers around that time. Had he played in Euro 96 he would have further strengthened an already very sturdy defence. 

It's almost impossible to imagine now but that team only conceded 3 goals throughout an entire qualifying campaign. Kazakhstan recently scored more than that against us over the course of two games!  :lol:

2 hours ago, scotlad said:

Gough was probably at the peak of his powers around that time. Had he played in Euro 96 he would have further strengthened an already very sturdy defence. 

It's almost impossible to imagine now but that team only conceded 3 goals throughout an entire qualifying campaign. Kazakhstan recently scored more than that against us over the course of two games!  :lol:

He was. It's a shame that it happened otherwise we would've went deep. Not saying we would've won it, but why not? Holland couldn't beat us and England shouldn't have beaten us.. Seaman got MOTM.

lol. I know! I'd say about 8 of the team back in Euro 96 would get into the current first XI. (Might seem like a lot, but I looked back on it, I'd say that 9 or maybe 10 of England's Euro 96 team would get into the current line up. The ratings may not reflect it, but when you think about Gascoigne, Shearer, Seaman, Neville, Pierce, Adam's, etc. They've had a bigger decline than us.... slightly.)

Edited by Taylor1996

20 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I think you are right but surely the player can still decide not to sign on a permanent basis? 

I'm not sure it is as simple as Oostende saying, "yeah, we'll take him". 

1 hour ago, PASTA Mick said:

I think you are right but surely the player can still decide not to sign on a permanent basis? 

I'm not sure it is as simple as Oostende saying, "yeah, we'll take him". 

He does, if he rejects the contract then he stays at Celtic. Would he though? He is hated and derided by Celtic fans and played out of position. I'm not sure he'd want to go back to that.