Scott Banks - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott Banks

Taylor1996

4 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Is he actually any good, haven't heard much about him since his move to Dunfermline. Was he even a regular starter?

I saw him on TV a couple of months ago coming on a sub  & he looked different class. He didn't seem to do much after that though we'd be better getting a Dunfermline fans opinion why. 

I just know from glancing at the Crystal Palace forum previously a lot of fans rate him & wanted him given a first team chance.  

I guess this time next year we will know a lot more. 

13 hours ago, theabsentee said:

I saw him on TV a couple of months ago coming on a sub  & he looked different class. He didn't seem to do much after that though we'd be better getting a Dunfermline fans opinion why. 

I just know from glancing at the Crystal Palace forum previously a lot of fans rate him & wanted him given a first team chance.  

and there we have the problem. Remember on the early days of football forums on the internet that Robbie Foy was the next Dalglish or Michael Stewart will go on to achieve great things in the game.

We do live in hope though. 

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

and there we have the problem. Remember on the early days of football forums on the internet that Robbie Foy was the next Dalglish or Michael Stewart will go on to achieve great things in the game.

We do live in hope though. 

That team squad didn’t have stories like Gilmour, McTominay etc though. 

I think there’s more reason to be optimistic about young talents currently 

15 hours ago, theabsentee said:

Since the move it would appear that he hasn't played as many minutes as a decent prospect should. Unless injuries have held him back I doubt if he wiil become a full internationalist 

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

That team squad didn’t have stories like Gilmour, McTominay etc though. 

I think there’s more reason to be optimistic about young talents currently 

etc?

pretty sure gilmour and mctominay are the only guys who have come through at top clubs since fletcher in 2003. Thats not very promising imo.

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Not a fan but I would say Celtic are a top club and he was playing in the champions league at 20.

I am assuming you were being sarcastic when you said "Tierney never came though at Arsenal"

i wouldnt say celtic are/were a top european club when tierney came through.

8 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

etc?

pretty sure gilmour and mctominay are the only guys who have come through at top clubs since fletcher in 2003. Thats not very promising imo.

None for almost 2 years then two at the same time isn’t bad. 

We also have far more young players in the academies of top clubs now which can only be a good thing.

There’s plenty of guys at present who can make the breakthrough at a bigger club & we also have Patterson at Rangers too

I said it at the time, I highly doubt that a player who is sent on loan to a Scottish 1st division side is anywhere near an EPL 1st team.

Generally speaking top EPL clubs send their bright prospects to the top division in places like Holland or Belgium, a lower half EPL side or an established Championship side.

Other players on their books get sent lower down the footballing pecking order to clubs in League 1 (England) or Scottish Prem.

You can never write a young player off but based on his career so far he is way down the list of potential top grade Scottish prospects.

6 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

David Beckham joined 2nd Division Preston when he was 19.

Wonder what became of him.

Lewis Fiorini went to the second tier in Holland. Mason Mount went the Dutch route, too.

Which is why I said generally. 

Mason Mount went to a top division Dutch side which is a million miles away from a scottish championship side.

What would Banks learn at in this loan spell that would come close to preparing him for EPL action?

He is almost certain to go on loan again next season. You would hope that it would be at a higher level. If not then I think that shows what the peoppe at Palace think.

17 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Which is why I said generally. 

Mason Mount went to a top division Dutch side which is a million miles away from a scottish championship side.

What would Banks learn at in this loan spell that would come close to preparing him for EPL action?

He is almost certain to go on loan again next season. You would hope that it would be at a higher level. If not then I think that shows what the peoppe at Palace think.

I wasn't replying to you. Just replying in general about his move.

But I agree. He might learn something from moving to the SPL. Maddison would say that he learned a lot.

5 hours ago, ProudScot said:

This guy has Ruben Sammut written all over him 

Give the kid a chance man, he is only 19 so let's see where the next year takes him. Hopefully there's a successful loan this season to English league 1 or higher. 

He looks looks to have all the attributes to be a very good player, so let's just wait & see. We might even get a hint if what's to come after these under 21 friendlies. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/27/2021 at 3:20 PM, Diamond Scot said:

I said it at the time, I highly doubt that a player who is sent on loan to a Scottish 1st division side is anywhere near an EPL 1st team.

Generally speaking top EPL clubs send their bright prospects to the top division in places like Holland or Belgium, a lower half EPL side or an established Championship side.

Other players on their books get sent lower down the footballing pecking order to clubs in League 1 (England) or Scottish Prem.

You can never write a young player off but based on his career so far he is way down the list of potential top grade Scottish prospects.

Makes bench today for the first time. Apparently impressed Viera in Pre season

5 hours ago, GHfaeGTA said:

Makes bench today for the first time. Apparently impressed Viera in Pre season

Along with 2 other U23 players who didnt get on. 

Palace have lost loads of players and are in the process of builidng a squad. I might be wrong but id be surprised if he makes the bench at the end of the transfer window.