The Great Outdoors... - Page 16 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Great Outdoors...

In my ongoing quest to get fit for the Inca Trail in a few weeks I climbed Schiehallion at the weekend (my first Munro!!0.  Not sure if anyone has done it before but that boulder field over the last third of the climb is an absolute bugger going up and down!!

49 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Congratulations!

I did Schiehallion in '95 and 2018.   That's the last time I've been up a Munro :(

I do remember being very unsteady on the summit boulders as the wind battered us.

Yeah the weather most of the way up was fine but as we got to the boulder field and then at the summit it was very windy and bloody freezing so we didn't hang about too long.  To be honest I'm glad I did it and I "enjoyed" it overall but I'm not sure I'd rush to Schiehallion again as the boulder section was just a slog.  I climbed Ben Vrackie up that way a few weeks ago and it was a much more enjoyable climb and actually a bit tougher overall even though it's a good but smaller.

2 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

In my ongoing quest to get fit for the Inca Trail in a few weeks I climbed Schiehallion at the weekend (my first Munro!!0.  Not sure if anyone has done it before but that boulder field over the last third of the climb is an absolute bugger going up and down!!

That wasn't the best one to pick for your first one. It's enough to put some folk off for life. 🤣 It's a long time since I did it, but I seem to remember it being fairly boring and tedious apart from the "excitement" of scrambling about in all those boulders.

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

That wasn't the best one to pick for your first one. It's enough to put some folk off for life. 🤣 It's a long time since I did it, but I seem to remember it being fairly boring and tedious apart from the "excitement" of scrambling about in all those boulders.

A couple of things I'd read said it was one of the easier ones so that's why we chose it (that and being in Pitlochry for the weekend!).  It wasn't overly difficult, just the boulders required a lot of concentration and seemed a bit never ending at one point.  I'd imagine that section must be responsible for quite a few strains and broken ankles over the years!

I'm hoping to get another Munro in before I head off with Ben Lomond looking the most likely in a couple of weeks time (with Arthur's Seat in as a stop gap next weekend!).

On 7/25/2023 at 11:18 AM, Fairbairn said:

Yeah the weather most of the way up was fine but as we got to the boulder field and then at the summit it was very windy and bloody freezing so we didn't hang about too long.  To be honest I'm glad I did it and I "enjoyed" it overall but I'm not sure I'd rush to Schiehallion again as the boulder section was just a slog.  I climbed Ben Vrackie up that way a few weeks ago and it was a much more enjoyable climb and actually a bit tougher overall even though it's a good but smaller.

We climbed Ben Vrackie during covid at a time when we were able to move out our areas. We went to Pitlochry for 3 days and decided to climb it. I had no idea how challenging it would be for someone with no hill walking experience whatsoever. The information on it suggested it would be not too tough. I went  up it in a pair of old boots with little grip and which were in no way walking boots. It was October and miserable, we couldn’t see more than 10 feet in front of us in some places it was so misty and damp . Plus the normal path was closed and an alternative route was the only way up and a lot of scrambling. My husband kept walking way ahead, i was totally shiteing myself. It was like being in an eerie movie . Got to the top by some miracle and was so happy . I went to take a pic as there was some wee monument thing and my phone had totally run out of battery 😩 So we have absolutely no record of the achievement at all. 
Coming down was worse in parts than going up. 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

We climbed Ben Vrackie during covid at a time when we were able to move out our areas. We went to Pitlochry for 3 days and decided to climb it. I had no idea how challenging it would be for someone with no hill walking experience whatsoever. The information on it suggested it would be not too tough. I went  up it in a pair of old boots with little grip and which were in no way walking boots. It was October and miserable, we couldn’t see more than 10 feet in front of us in some places it was so misty and damp . Plus the normal path was closed and an alternative route was the only way up and a lot of scrambling. My husband kept walking way ahead, i was totally shiteing myself. It was like being in an eerie movie . Got to the top by some miracle and was so happy . I went to take a pic as there was some wee monument thing and my phone had totally run out of battery 😩 So we have absolutely no record of the achievement at all. 

If you ain't got the photo, it didn't happen. 🤣

47 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

If you ain't got the photo, it didn't happen. 🤣

😂 I may not have a photo but the image will forever be ingrained in my head. Apart from the Blackpool Wild Mouse and accessing The Devils Pulpit through a totally unconventional method its the 3rd most scary thing I have ever done 😁

18 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

With all those steps I can't imagine the second half of Ben Vrackie would have been much fun in that kind of weather.  We were lucky in that it was a cracking day.  I said to my other half when we were on Schiehallion when we got to the boulder field that if the weather had been poor we'd probably have turned  back.

I'm going through to Edinburgh for the weekend tomorrow so the plan is to hit Arthur's Seat early on Friday  morning.  Not quite in the same league as some that I've been tackling recently but keeps the legs going!  I'm hoping to fit in Ben Lomond in the  next few weeks too and then that should hopefully be me ready for the Andes! 😬

4 hours ago, Fairbairn said:

With all those steps I can't imagine the second half of Ben Vrackie would have been much fun in that kind of weather.  We were lucky in that it was a cracking day.  I said to my other half when we were on Schiehallion when we got to the boulder field that if the weather had been poor we'd probably have turned  back.

I'm going through to Edinburgh for the weekend tomorrow so the plan is to hit Arthur's Seat early on Friday  morning.  Not quite in the same league as some that I've been tackling recently but keeps the legs going!  I'm hoping to fit in Ben Lomond in the  next few weeks too and then that should hopefully be me ready for the Andes! 😬

Honestly FB it was scary as hell. There was a sort of big pond thing about half way up, it was so misty,  I was half expecting zombies to emerge from the water. My husband had moved ahead at that point so i was on my own, I am shouting on him and no reply. I was nearly greetin. I finally caught up with him then we encountered the steps. A bit further on a couple were coming the opposite way, they were on their way back down. I was saying how bad it was and they said that it got worse. At that point though I thought ‘fuck it, how much worse can it get ‘. Errm a fair bit unfortunately. 
I am sure on a nice day it would be less dangerous,  but on the other hand at least the mist helped disguise what lay ahead ! 

Went up Arthurs seat a few years ago. In January, blowing a gale, and once again Mr Tidy decides to take the unconventional path up. I was clinging on for dear life . Under normal circumstances it should be fairly easy walk but not in the middle of winter, strong winds and some random ascent to the top. I am sure he is trying to kill me off. There were folk just wandering up the path and we were hugging boulders trying to not fall off.  Between these 2 experiences and the descent he took to the Devils Pulpit , which was easily the worst experience of my life , it is all a bit too convenient. 

Good luck  with Ben Lomond ! 😁

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Maybe if we all post our 1st Munro pics we can cheer Tidy up?

I've redacted mine from sheer embarrassment.

TomnaGruagaich.thumb.jpg.ea4c2c8ea3e40c6c3c3ff5cdd73441bf.jpg

😂 nice shorts . How  about a ‘then’ and ‘now’ screenshot ? 

Though i am very impressed with the climb 💪

9 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Maybe if we all post our 1st Munro pics we can cheer Tidy up?

I've redacted mine from sheer embarrassment.

TomnaGruagaich.thumb.jpg.ea4c2c8ea3e40c6c3c3ff5cdd73441bf.jpg

Of all the things that you could have redacted in that picture you chose the face?! 🤣

57 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Of all the things that you could have redacted in that picture you chose the face?! 🤣

🙈😄

@TDYER63  30 years on, my last hill (only 743m or something).   Pre-COVID though, so probably put more weight on in last 3 years than in previous 30.

BenMrCoigach.thumb.jpg.5bd8b293254c3e9936621687327d0674.jpg

1 hour ago, Grim Jim said:

🙈😄

@TDYER63  30 years on, my last hill (only 743m or something).   Pre-COVID though, so probably put more weight on in last 3 years than in previous 30.

BenMrCoigach.thumb.jpg.5bd8b293254c3e9936621687327d0674.jpg

Still looks more impressive than my pathetic effort. This was Ben ann a few years ago , it was a bit trickier than this picture makes out , it doesn’t look high at all it looks  like I have climbed a wee hill to roll my egg down. The handbag and jewellery probably dont help paint a picture of an exhilarating hill climb either 😁

I have no idea how to put a mask over my face on a photo so just scribbled it out . 

IMG_7505.thumb.jpeg.89b1fdd360c61bf9bcf9138f2e42f7a3.jpeg

On the other hand, this is my brother. Have no idea where it was but looks like a proper mountain ! 

IMG_7506.jpeg.557ad6e815de8af341bef4ee2686de4c.jpeg

I just pished myself at the scribling; an even more satisfying new art form than tumshie hieds? Especially your brother's head exploding just as he gains the ridge of feck knows where ...

Great phoaties though, and Ben A'an is a great wee mountain.   A southern Stac Pollaidh.

It took me a couple of hills to realise that thee were paths up most of them (after getting me and the missus into some stupid situations back in the day), but not this one.

Beinn a'Chrulaiste anyone?   Mushy grass for most of it, unless I missed the path again?   Starting opposite the Devil's Staircase ...

DSCF3280.JPG.5cd81b7b5fcb443318421bff9d2a956c.JPG

...some good views.

DSCF3277.JPG.0674beba9c11082da88464240d7c1689.JPG

DSCF3279.JPG.cc7e59cb1a878efcf3077decfea86b62.JPG

DSCF3276.JPG.285291db33faf1f9d1ac27b157ebfc38.JPG

15 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Still looks more impressive than my pathetic effort. This was Ben ann a few years ago , it was a bit trickier than this picture makes out , it doesn’t look high at all it looks  like I have climbed a wee hill to roll my egg down. The handbag and jewellery probably dont help paint a picture of an exhilarating hill climb either 😁

I have no idea how to put a mask over my face on a photo so just scribbled it out . 

IMG_7505.thumb.jpeg.89b1fdd360c61bf9bcf9138f2e42f7a3.jpeg

On the other hand, this is my brother. Have no idea where it was but looks like a proper mountain ! 

IMG_7506.jpeg.557ad6e815de8af341bef4ee2686de4c.jpeg

We did Ben A'an a few weeks ago.  Definitely tougher than it looks.  Not much bigger (if at all?) than Conic Hill but definitely trickier.  Not helped by us taking the wrong path at one point and faced by something that Edmund Hillary would have balked at (I may be exaggerating for comedic effect.....)