crowd for israel game - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

crowd for israel game

thesaint

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

More ppl die from hunger and other easily treatable diseases but the world doesn't halt and say let's do something about it. If this corona virus just hit africa and it was killing much more ppl then no one would give a shit. Ppl start dying here and suddenly we should halt football but we expect the rest of the population to carry on working. Surely if football has been halted then all non essential industries should of been halted by now as well. 

You appear to be under the impression that the government cancelled football but haven’t bothered cancelling other non essential industries. The SFA/SPFL made the decision themselves. The government did not halt the football season. 

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

There's a particular problem with football though.   In order to have a football match, you need to have two teams.   If anyone from either team tests positive then that means they can't put a team out for at least two weeks.    Matches get postponed all over the place to the point where there's no games on anyway, better just to suspend everything until everything is clearer.

Other industries can cope with people being off sick, that happens all the time.  The impact of this is going to be much higher than normal and some industries will suffer more than others.   Travel, tourism and hospitality are all effectively shut down as well.

Other larger businesses if they have a problem in a single location should be able to cope more adequately.   Any medium to large business should have a business continuity plan in place anyway - although this may well stretch those to the limits.   Small businesses will probably suffer the most and will need help.

Your still making an exception for footballers, if ppl in other industries get sick then the whole workplace doesn't go home and self isolate. It shouldn't be any different for football. Most other industries can't cope with tens of ppl not turning up for work. If one player gets it then quarantine that player and continue on. 

5 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

You appear to be under the impression that the government cancelled football but haven’t bothered cancelling other non essential industries. The SFA/SPFL made the decision themselves. The government did not halt the football season. 

Yeh fair point. 

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Your still making an exception for footballers, if ppl in other industries get sick then the whole workplace doesn't go home and self isolate. It shouldn't be any different for football. Most other industries can't cope with tens of ppl not turning up for work. If one player gets it then quarantine that player and continue on. 

I'm not making an exception for footballers at all.  Read what I actually said rather than what you think I said.  

1 minute ago, aaid said:

I'm not making an exception for footballers at all.  Read what I actually said rather than what you think I said.  

I have read and understood perfectly what you have said. Your suggestion that if one player tests positive then they can't field a team is rubbish imho. Your suggesting that footballers can't do their job if one of their fellow colleagues gets infected meanwhile the rest of the country has to work on even if a colleague is infected. Its double standards. 

Sporting contests cease being sporting when you expect teams to carry on that have been affected and infected. Injuries are an accepted hazard of the game whereas coronavirus is not. There are countless cases now of various teams hit by the virus and some more than other placing them at a distinct disadvantage with other teams. Matches should not be won on the basis of who is more handicapped by corona virus than others and football should not be played with an 'I'm alright Jack'- attitude. The sensible decision has been made.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Sporting contests cease being sporting when you expect teams to carry on that have been affected and infected. Injuries are an accepted hazard of the game whereas coronavirus is not. There are countless cases now of various teams hit by the virus and some more than other placing them at a distinct disadvantage with other teams. Matches should not be won on the basis of who is more handicapped by corona virus than others and football should not be played with an 'I'm alright Jack'- attitude. The sensible decision has been made.

Just install a rule that if 4 or more of a clubs squad has the virus then the match gets postponed for a couple of weeks until enough players recover. Its not ideal but allows the league to be finished and ties up loose ends. They reckon the peak of this virus could be in three months time so this would be an ideal time to get it finished before large percentages of the population have the virus. 

Edited by mccaughey85

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I have read and understood perfectly what you have said. Your suggestion that if one player tests positive then they can't field a team is rubbish imho. Your suggesting that footballers can't do their job if one of their fellow colleagues gets infected meanwhile the rest of the country has to work on even if a colleague is infected. Its double standards. 

Then you haven't understood it at all.

A football club is a small to medium sized business.   Most major football clubs will have no more than 200 full-time employees.   That will be a combination of players, playing staff, admin and business management.    A lot of these won't come into contact with each other.

The whole purpose of a football club is to play matches against other clubs, for that they need two things, players and other teams to play against.  Without both of those they can't play matches.

If a member of the playing staff tests positive then the recommendation is that all other players along with the playing staff - or at least those that have come into contact with them self isolate.

You seem to have a problem with why that's the case, I've explained that, I'm not going to do that again.  You also don't seem to understand the reasons for self-isolating, I'm not going through those again either.

That's no different from any other company or organisation, I know people who have no symptoms but are self-isolating because they've come into contact with people who are infected.

Something like football is fundamentally different from say Tescos.   If someone tests positive at Tescos then worst case, they may have to shut the store for cleaning and some staff will have to self-isolate, since they operate shifts, it may be that they can reopen the store or can temporarily get more staff in.  Even if the store has to shut completely, there are still hundreds of other Tescos that will be open.

There are plenty of other companies that will have the same problems with staff having to be off, they just don't get the same level of publicity and nor do they have the added complication of being dependent on their competitors to trade.

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Just install a rule that if 4 or more of a clubs squad has the virus then the match gets postponed for a couple of weeks until enough players recover. Its not ideal but allows the league to be finished and ties up loose ends. They reckon the peak of this virus could be in three months time so this would be an ideal time to get it finished before large percentages of the population have the virus. 

No they say it will be in May (the peak). Besides the Euros will be postponed - no doubt. And so the domestic season can run on into late June if needs be for it to be completed. And the Champions League and Europa League games I cannot see being played so freeing up midweek and weekends for rounds of matches.

1 minute ago, aaid said:

Then you haven't understood it at all.

A football club is a small to medium sized business.   Most major football clubs will have no more than 200 full-time employees.   That will be a combination of players, playing staff, admin and business management.    A lot of these won't come into contact with each other.

The whole purpose of a football club is to play matches against other clubs, for that they need two things, players and other teams to play against.  Without both of those they can't play matches.

If a member of the playing staff tests positive then the recommendation is that all other players along with the playing staff - or at least those that have come into contact with them self isolate.

You seem to have a problem with why that's the case, I've explained that, I'm not going to do that again.  You also don't seem to understand the reasons for self-isolating, I'm not going through those again either.

That's no different from any other company or organisation, I know people who have no symptoms but are self-isolating because they've come into contact with people who are infected.

Something like football is fundamentally different from say Tescos.   If someone tests positive at Tescos then worst case, they may have to shut the store for cleaning and some staff will have to self-isolate, since they operate shifts, it may be that they can reopen the store or can temporarily get more staff in.  Even if the store has to shut completely, there are still hundreds of other Tescos that will be open.

There are plenty of other companies that will have the same problems with staff having to be off, they just don't get the same level of publicity and nor do they have the added complication of being dependent on their competitors to trade.

I understand your point fully, its perhaps you that can't grasp the point I am making. 

Players and staff self isolating because another player has caught it is no different than somebody at tescos getting the virus and then most of tescos self isolates. Your still making an exception for footballers. 

If everyone was to self isolate because one of their Co workers gets the virus then we would basically have to shut down everything. 

11 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Season 19-20 will be completed whenever football is allowed to resume, which right now is clearly unknown.

That may mean that season 20-21 never happens at all and we smoothly move to 21-22.

I saw someone make a good point elsewhere.

The further the gap before any resumption the less it becomes a case of finishing off the existing season and the more it starts to look like its a new mini season but where the starting points are based on where we are now rather than everyone starting from zero.

Teams that are currently on a run of good form and challenging may struggle to recover that form after an extended break, similarly teams in poor form may come out all guns blazing.   Teams who have injuries now will have an advantage as players recover during the lay-off.    That's without starting to consider implications of players who are out of contract in the summer, those that have already signed pre-contracts.

This isn't the winter break of a couple of weeks, its more likely going to be 3-4 months at the minimum.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

I understand your point fully, its perhaps you that can't grasp the point I am making. 

Players and staff self isolating because another player has caught it is no different than somebody at tescos getting the virus and then most of tescos self isolates. Your still making an exception for footballers. 

If everyone was to self isolate because one of their Co workers gets the virus then we would basically have to shut down everything. 

It would only be those people at that store that worked on the same shift - and possibly then only a subset of those - not the whole of Tescos.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No they say it will be in May (the peak). Besides the Euros will be postponed - no doubt. And so the domestic season can run on into late June if needs be for it to be completed. And the Champions League and Europa League games I cannot see being played so freeing up midweek and weekends for rounds of matches.

Well I read that it will be roughly 10 to 14 weeks but even if it is the end of May then this would of been a good time to get the games and season tied up. 22 guys playing behind closed doors for a couple more months would hardly have a massive impact on the total infected numbers imo. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

It would only be those people at that store that worked on the same shift - and possibly then only a subset of those - not the whole of Tescos.

That would still fuck up a business like tescos, they can't afford for 10 or more ppl on the same shift self isolating because of corona virus. It's a fact that all businesses big or small can't cope with 20 percent of their staff having to self isolate. 

8 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well I read that it will be roughly 10 to 14 weeks but even if it is the end of May then this would of been a good time to get the games and season tied up. 22 guys playing behind closed doors for a couple more months would hardly have a massive impact on the total infected numbers imo. 

No Euros mean no football in June so there is no reason the football cannot run into Jun now to be completed. And it is not just 22 guys playing behind closed doors it is all the subs there and coaches and managers and physios plus match officials plus journalists and some stewards. And teams are already infected so like I say it has ceased being a sporting contest when the virus is within teams more than others.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No Euros mean no football in June so there is no reason the football cannot run into Jun now to be completed. And it is not just 22 guys playing behind closed doors it is all the subs there and coaches and managers and physios plus match officials plus journalists and some stewards. And teams are already infected so like I say it has ceased being a sporting contest when the virus is within teams more than others.

But they probably won't start back in June, especially as that will be the worst period in terms of ppl infected.

OK so 50 ppl once or twice a week behind closed doors in the open air is hardly going to have a massive impact on the spreading of the virus. Ppl who work at tescos are literally coming into contact with hundreds of other ppl in a enclosed enviroment every day. Same with many other industries, bus drivers are sitting in a bus with different ppl all day long. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

But they probably won't start back in June, especially as that will be the worst period in terms of ppl infected.

OK so 50 ppl once or twice a week behind closed doors in the open air is hardly going to have a massive impact on the spreading of the virus. Ppl who work at tescos are literally coming into contact with hundreds of other ppl in a enclosed enviroment every day. Same with many other industries, bus drivers are sitting in a bus with different ppl all day long. 

You just aren't getting it.

Driving a bus, working at Tescos etc etc are not sporting contests like football matches. Football like any sport is played on the terms it will be a fair sporting contest. With corona virus already affected many teams and maybe some not at all it means we no longer would have a fair sporting contest and it loses all integrity because of that.

6 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Driving a bus, working at Tescos etc etc are not sporting contests like football matches. Football like any sport is played on the terms it will be a fair sporting contest. With corona virus already affected many teams and maybe some not at all it means we no longer would have a fair sporting contest and it loses all integrity because of that.

Its you that doesn't get it, a rule of 4 or more squad infections could of been brought in with the game being postponed for a couple of weeks. Atm the percentage of ppl who have the virus is extremely small in the UK therefore now would of been an ideal time to get the league finished before the numbers of infected ppl gets huge. Theres no way they will be able to start the league back up in June if 50 percent of the population have the virus. 

Edited by mccaughey85

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

Its you that doesn't get it, a rule of 4 or more squad infections could of been brought in with the game being postponed for a couple of weeks. Atm the percentage of ppl who have the virus is extremely small in the UK therefore now would of been an ideal time to get the league finished before the numbers of infected ppl gets huge. Theres no way they will be able to start the league back up in June is 50 percent of the population have the virus. 

No it is you that doesn't. You are completely ignoring the clubs already affected with players testing positive for the virus and others having to self-isolate. You are wanting teams to still play games even if it means one side fielding virtual reserves against a practical first team. That is when football ceases becoming a sporting contest with integrity and more of a lottery reducing the sport to a farce.

2 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

No it is you that doesn't. You are completely ignoring the clubs already affected with players testing positive for the virus and others having to self-isolate. You are wanting teams to still play games even if it means one side fielding virtual reserves against a practical first team. That is when football ceases becoming a sporting contest with integrity and more of a lottery reducing the sport to a farce.

There's only a few players/staff in the whole UK with the virus, and as I said before expecting the normal workforce to work on while football squads self isolate is double standards and unnecessary especially as infected numbers are so small atm. Theres very few players and playing staff infected right now so it would of been better to just quarantine the ones infected and then play on and reassess the situation in a months time. 

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Surely an important aspect of dealing with a pandemic is to continue as much as possible without disrupting normal day to day activity. Enjoyment of sport is a huge example of this.

I don't see how misfortunes to one team more than another should lead to the event being cancelled, it will still be a contest.. It will still give many of us more to do than watch sky news 24/7.

My daughter is a PE teacher and has not been told to stop teaching because of the risks, so the physical contact aspect looks like baloney to me

There is more than enough money in football to minimise the risks to an acceptable level even if it does lead to games not being as competitive as they might be the benefits for society are far more important.

Slightly of topic but with the likes of tennis and golf also getting postponed it it makes the whole of top level sport look 100% money orientated. We really should all pop ourselves if these sports cant be played with out paying customers.

Society will have to make a lot of sacrifices over the next few months. Looks like our overpaid sportsmen are exempt.

Disclaimer- I couldn't care less who wins or loses gets promoted or relegated

22 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Surely an important aspect of dealing with a pandemic is to continue as much as possible without disrupting normal day to day activity. Enjoyment of sport is a huge example of this.

I don't see how misfortunes to one team more than another should lead to the event being cancelled, it will still be a contest.. It will still give many of us more to do than watch sky news 24/7.

My daughter is a PE teacher and has not been told to stop teaching because of the risks, so the physical contact aspect looks like baloney to me

There is more than enough money in football to minimise the risks to an acceptable level even if it does lead to games not being as competitive as they might be the benefits for society are far more important.

Slightly of topic but with the likes of tennis and golf also getting postponed it it makes the whole of top level sport look 100% money orientated. We really should all pop ourselves if these sports cant be played with out paying customers.

Society will have to make a lot of sacrifices over the next few months. Looks like our overpaid sportsmen are exempt.

Disclaimer- I couldn't care less who wins or loses gets promoted or relegated

Thing is there are many dangerous occupations like fishermen and agriculture workers who have to work in dangerous conditions but footballers who get paid a fortune are getting to self isolate when the rest of the population are out working through this whole pandemic. There's lots of illnesses and cancers that are untreatable but everyone gets on with life as best as we can. 50 or so ppl meeting in a stadium twice a week to play out the remainder of the season is no big deal and I can't imagine it would have had a huge impact on the amount of ppl getting infected. As I said they could of had a rule where if a certain number of players are infected from one teams squad then the game gets postponed for a couple of weeks. The longer they leave it then the more chance they won't be able to start up again for several months as the number of infected will be massive in three months time.