crowd for israel game - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

crowd for israel game

thesaint

3 minutes ago, aaid said:

Ah, misunderstood where you were coming from.  You're right though, even July looks optimistic for a resumption.

It is still possible that they will try and finish this season to be fair. I agree it’s unlikely though. 

They are hoping to restart in England in April which seems ridiculous at the moment. 

I don't understand why they can't just play behind closed doors. Most ppl in the UK are expected to go to work. Why should it be different for footballers. Clubs have doctors and medical teams that can test for the virus and then the player can be kept under quarantine while the rest of the squad play on. There's no doctor at my work testing me and my colleagues so that we can be safe. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It is still possible that they will try and finish this season to be fair. I agree it’s unlikely though. 

They are hoping to restart in England in April which seems ridiculous at the moment. 

I don't think anyone expects a restart in England in April.  The general feeling is that the FA, etc., know there's little chance of that happening and it just buys them three weeks to come up with a plan for what happens next. 

3 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

I don't understand why they can't just play behind closed doors. Most ppl in the UK are expected to go to work. Why should it be different for footballers. Clubs have doctors and medical teams that can test for the virus and then the player can be kept under quarantine while the rest of the squad play on. There's no doctor at my work testing me and my colleagues so that we can be safe. 

Because if a player, or member of staff contracts the virus, then that rules out the whole squad for two weeks as they all have to go into isolation.

Thats why - before the complete suspension on Friday - there were already games postponed.  

Working from home isn't an option if you're a footballer. 

4 minutes ago, aaid said:

Because if a player, or member of staff contracts the virus, then that rules out the whole squad for two weeks as they all have to go into isolation.

Thats why - before the complete suspension on Friday - there were already games postponed.  

Working from home isn't an option if you're a footballer. 

Why do they all have to go into isolation? does all your work colleagues have to go into isolation if you get the virus. Who's talking about working from home. Most ppl in the UK will be going into work and risking themselves, why should it be different for footballers. 

Edited by mccaughey85

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Why do they all have to go into isolation? does all your work colleagues have to go into isolation if you get the virus. Who's talking about working from home. Most ppl in the UK will be going into work and risking themselves, why should it be different for footballers. 

We'll I'm pretty sure that you don't come into regular close physical contact on a daily basis with your co-workers 

2 minutes ago, aaid said:

We'll I'm pretty sure that you don't come into regular close physical contact on a daily basis with your co-workers 

There's plenty of ppl working in industries where they will be breathing in the same air as hundreds of ppl and its worse if you work inside. At least with football they are out in fresh air where its harder to catch it. They could also have strict testing before every match ensuring all participants are virus free. In fact stricter testing everyday before training would insure that as soon as someone has it then they are quarantined. Simples

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

There's plenty of ppl working in industries where they will be breathing in the same air as hundreds of ppl and its worse if you work inside. At least with football they are out in fresh air where its harder to catch it. They could also have strict testing before every match ensuring all participants are virus free. In fact stricter testing everyday before training would insure that as soon as someone has it then they are quarantined. Simples

There isn't a test yet which can detect the virus in someone who is asymptomic, ie, someone who is carrying the virus but doesn't have any symptoms.   When a player - or indeed anyone - tests positive, that's why the rest of the squad self isolates, so that they can't pass it on to anyone else if they're also infected.   

22 minutes ago, aaid said:

I don't think anyone expects a restart in England in April.  The general feeling is that the FA, etc., know there's little chance of that happening and it just buys them three weeks to come up with a plan for what happens next. 

You may well be right but why put a date on it? Even the SFA/SPFL haven’t done that. I think we all know there will be no football for at least a couple of months, probably longer. 

It’s going to be a strange year. 

5 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Football is pretty low priority. Are you aware that they have stopped testing suspected cases? They are only testing folk who need to be hospitalised, those in the severe and critical categories.

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

You may well be right but why put a date on it? Even the SFA/SPFL haven’t done that. I think we all know there will be no football for at least a couple of months, probably longer. 

It’s going to be a strange year. 

That was certainly the view from our CEO, National League club, who I spoke to briefly after our game yesterday.

If the SFA were to put a date on it, that would have to be the date after the FA decide what they're going to do so they can just copy them, which generally seems to be how it goes.  

There isn't a test yet which can detect the virus in someone who is asymptomic, ie, someone who is carrying the virus but doesn't have any symptoms.   When a player - or indeed anyone - tests positive, that's why the rest of the squad self isolates, so that they can't pass it on to anyone else if they're also infected.   

My point still stands about the rest of us shit munchers being expected to work on. Footballers are young guys as well so the chances of them dying is extremely low. Perhaps ppl think footballers are more important than normal folk who are expected to work on. 

4 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Football is pretty low priority. Are you aware that they have stopped testing suspected cases? They are only testing folk who need to be hospitalised, those in the severe and critical categories.

Its low priority but its still an industry that pays thousands of workers who rely on that income to survive. Footballers are well paid enough that they can afford not to work for a few months but normal ppl don't have that luxury. 

2 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

My point still stands about the rest of us shit munchers being expected to work on. Footballers are young guys as well so the chances of them dying is extremely low. Perhaps ppl think footballers are more important than normal folk who are expected to work on. 

It’s important that industry continues, it’s not important for people to kick a leather ball around a park. 

The Celtic and Liverpool fans that are shiting themselves because the season may be declared null and void obviously don’t realise that it’s just not that important. 

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

It's not about the players themselves, they're healthy young men who will probably have nothing worse than feeling unwell for a few days and then recover.   It's about who they might come into contact with and infect and who they might in turn infect.

Its low priority but its still an industry that pays thousands of workers who rely on that income to survive. Footballers are well paid enough that they can afford not to work for a few months but normal ppl don't have that luxury. 

Yeah people that work for football clubs could lose their jobs. That is the big downside to football being called off. 

Lots of people will be in danger of that though when they shut down cinemas and restaurants etc. The whole thing is a disaster. 

3 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

It’s important that industry continues, it’s not important for people to kick a leather ball around a park. 

The Celtic and Liverpool fans that are shiting themselves because the season may be declared null and void obviously don’t realise that it’s just not that important. 

So all non essential industries should be stopped or is it just precious footballers that should be allowed not to have to work. 

1 minute ago, aaid said:

It's not about the players themselves, they're healthy young men who will probably have nothing worse than feeling unwell for a few days and then recover.   It's about who they might come into contact with and infect and who they might in turn infect.

You can say that about any industry. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

So all non essential industries should be stopped or is it just precious footballers that should be allowed not to have to work. 

That’s what has happened in France, Italy and a few other countries so it may well happen here as well.  

6 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Folk are already dying. In a few weeks time those numbers could be in the 100s maybe even thousands and you are worried about the results of a few football matches. It may not have affected you much yet, but this is going to get much, much worse before it gets better. 

Just now, mccaughey85 said:

You can say that about any industry. 

Yes and that's going to be a big big problem.  As has been pointed out by others, some industries are more important than others and football falls into the not important at all category. 

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

Folk are already dying. In a few weeks time those numbers could be in the 100s maybe even thousands and you are worried about the results of a few football matches. It may not have affected you much yet, but this is going to get much, much worse before it gets better. 

TBH I don't really give a shit that it's cancelled but I don't get why there was a need to cancel it when the rest of us are expected to go out and work. Maybe all non essential industries should be halted.

Yes and that's going to be a big big problem.  As has been pointed out by others, some industries are more important than others and football falls into the not important at all category. 

More ppl die from hunger and other easily treatable diseases but the world doesn't halt and say let's do something about it. If this corona virus just hit africa and it was killing much more ppl then no one would give a shit. Ppl start dying here and suddenly we should halt football but we expect the rest of the population to carry on working. Surely if football has been halted then all non essential industries should of been halted by now as well. 

TBH I don't really give a shit that it's cancelled but I don't get why there was a need to cancel it when the rest of us are expected to go out and work. Maybe all non essential industries should be halted.

There's a particular problem with football though.   In order to have a football match, you need to have two teams.   If anyone from either team tests positive then that means they can't put a team out for at least two weeks.    Matches get postponed all over the place to the point where there's no games on anyway, better just to suspend everything until everything is clearer.

Other industries can cope with people being off sick, that happens all the time.  The impact of this is going to be much higher than normal and some industries will suffer more than others.   Travel, tourism and hospitality are all effectively shut down as well.

Other larger businesses if they have a problem in a single location should be able to cope more adequately.   Any medium to large business should have a business continuity plan in place anyway - although this may well stretch those to the limits.   Small businesses will probably suffer the most and will need help.