Scotland’s Goalkeeping Crisis - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scotland’s Goalkeeping Crisis

Guest ElChris04

What keeper do we go with to be our no1 going forward?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one :

• Scott Bain
    • David Marshall
    • John McLaughlin
    • Liam Kelly
    • Craig MacGillvray
    • Craig Gordon
    • Ross Doohan
    • Robbie McCrorie

Guest ElChris04

Will probably come across a negative post but I feel it’s something that needs to be discussed more. We all knew it was going to be a rough ride when Allan McGregor retired, think what you want about the man, but he’s a top class goalkeeper who saved us many a times. His last ditch save against Israel that saved us a win summed him up. there’s no keeper we have currently  even remotely close to how good he is.  
But did I think it would be as bad as we have now? Probably not. 

Scott Bain. He was looked upon as being the “chosen one” going forward. And it was easy to see why giving his club form under Rodgers, But that soon hit the stop when Bain made his start debut in a rock bottom 3-0 thrashing against Kazakhstan. And since Rodgers has left he’s been woeful for Celtic and since his injury hasn’t been near the team with the form of Foster at club level and has no look to get back in. 

David Marshall. A old timer who’s came back into the fold. Looked okay at the beginning. But poor distribution and shot stopping has really shown his decline. His from for Wigan this season has been 14 games played with 19 goals conceded with 4 clean sheets kept. Wigan fans are desperate to bring a keeper in in January to that to me tells me where marshall’s future lies in a Scotland jersey already giving his age and form. 

Jon McLaughlin. Never really had a chance, played against a shite San Marino and of course didn’t get to show what he could do. A 32 year old who like Marshall is in poor decline and has worse stats in a worse league compared to Marshall. 12 games played with 14 goals conceded and 1 clean sheet kept. Like Marshall it’s woeful stats. 

Craig MacGillvray. Hasn’t played but his stats not much better then McLaughlin. Same ratio of 12 games played with 14 goals conceded. But with Slightly better CS with 3 kept.. again though it’s league one and yet more alarming stats. 

Liam Kelly. The name a lot of folk  want in the team currently... however if your wanting him in the team based off his last season’s form... then you won’t like the stats I’m about to share. His from for Livingston last season was quality which in doing so got him a move to QPR, took him a while to get in the team but has started the last 6 games. All 6 games he’s been absolutely dreadful for QPR. Distribution woeful with fans dubbing him the most “right footed keeper in football. 6 games played 14 goals conceded and not a single clean sheet kept. He isn’t Scotland’s saviour nor is he our answer. Based of his current form I wouldn’t even call him up. 

he’s a tweet I got with a direct graph  with the goals he’s conceded in his 6 appearances for QPR. Now fans are wanting him dropped. And rightfully so with how bad he’s been. 

Craig Gordon. 3rd choice Celtic Keeper, 38 and looks to have zero way into the team and was a complete liability for celtic. Hence why he was rightfully dropped under Rodgers for Bain when he was still manager. 

that leads us to the question, what keeper who’s remotely decent in slight form do we have? We could have the best defence in the world let alone the shite one we have but with the keepers we have now McGregor has retired, we’re going nowhere and need to face the reality we’re in a goalkeeping crisis with little solution. The only thing I could think of is trying either Ross Doohan or Robbie McCrorie with there young age and shown to be quality for the U21’s.. but even it’s a tough call. 

Edited by ElChris04

I know it will sound like bias but after calling up the best striker in the championship, we should give the best keeper in the championship a shot. McCrorie has been fantastic this season, is very highly thought of and is only going to get better. He doesn't need to start but we need to be thinking of the future, having a past it 34 year old, a 32 year old (with barely any caps and having an average season in league 1) and a 26 year old who was a number 2 in the lower leagues for most of his career isn't the answer.

Edited by Blantyre_Braveheart

10 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

I know it will sound like bias but after calling up the best striker in the championship, we should give the best keeper in the championship a shot. McCrorie has been fantastic this season, is very highly thought of and is only going to get better. He doesn't need to start but we need to be thinking of the future, having a past it 34 year old, a 32 year old (with barely any caps and having an average season in league 1) and a 26 year old who was a number 2 in the lower leagues for most of his career isn't the answer.

Dear god no. The day the Queen of the South goalkeeper gets picked for Scotland is the day I stop going to Hampden. 

Guest ElChris04
32 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Keeper not the problem with this team. 

Couldn’t disagree more. Marshall has been shocking for majority since he’s came in. Distribution also woeful. Along with the Centre backs it’s a massive problem with little hope of fixing giving our current crop of keepers. And our only international class keeper now being retired. We have no hope of qualifying with keepers that can’t pull off simple to remotely decent saves. 

Guest ElChris04
3 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Let's wait and see how Jordan Archer gets on at Aston Villa before rushing into anything

Ironically was literally wondering about him earlier today giving he’s vanished from football since his contract expired with Milwall. Mental he hasn’t been signed by a club for what? Nearly 5-6 months now. Latest I read was he’s training with villa but don’t think he’ll be offered a contract.

Guest ElChris04
2 minutes ago, Bonny79 said:

Marshall has been fine 

Another counter arguments to this? He’s absolutely rotten and was exposed against Russia. Some of the goals that went in are McGregor style saves. The gulf in class is now there to see. 

10 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Ironically was literally wondering about him earlier today giving he’s vanished from football since his contract expired with Milwall. Mental he hasn’t been signed by a club for what? Nearly 5-6 months now. Latest I read was he’s training with villa but don’t think he’ll be offered a contract.

He's been offered a juicy contract but has rejected it saying he wants guaranteed playing time to push forward with his international career 

14 hours ago, ElChris04 said:

Another counter arguments to this? He’s absolutely rotten and was exposed against Russia. Some of the goals that went in are McGregor style saves. The gulf in class is now there to see. 

Of course he's been "exposed". Have you seen the state of the fukin defence in front of him?

He isn't as good as McGregor but McGregor doesn't want to play so it's kinda pointless comparing them. Marshall is the best we've got at present. It's up to the others to do something to put pressure on him for that place.

First name on the team sheet for me.

Marshall is not convincing, nor is he as good as he once was. 

However, Bain isn't playing and doesn't look likely to be playing any time soon. Ditto Craig Gordon. 

Mclaughlin has lost his place as well and is also not playing. Kelly has gotten into his side but is not doing well, Archer is without a club, Allan Mcgregor retired, Zander Clark lost form and never regained it.

It's pretty much Marshall by default. His experience keeps him above Kelly for me, who is the only rival for the role currently playing football. They are both playing at the same level for teams who concede a lot of goals. It's likely that the defences of those teams are more to blame than the keepers, but that the keepers are also flawed and limited, thus compounding the frailty of the defence. 

It's not something to be pleased about, but Marshall has to be the first choice at the moment. He has done okay, on the whole. 

It is definitely a crisis, given the lack of options. Imagine if Marshall gets injured? Doesn't really bear contemplating. 

Ideally Bain gets his place back and Gordon goes and gets football on loan somewhere, Kelly settles down and someone emerges from somewhere, because going forward we are in real bother between the sticks. 

If Celtic do manage to get Forster on a permanent deal, Bain needs to get out that club as well. He's a young goalie and he was progressing his career, he can't let it stagnate. 

Marshall, while nowhere near his best anymore, was in no way at fault for the goals we conceded in the last 2 games.  He also made some pretty impressive stops as well to help keep those scores down.  Our problems won't be solved until our defense improves.

As Marshall is the only one playing regularly for his club side at the highest level so it has to be him in goal with either (or both) McLaughlin or Kelly as back up

37 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Liam Kelly, for me.

A while ago people were hyping Xander Clark, now he's not even a part of the conversation.

He certainly seems the most likely to take it up after Marshall, taking age into account. 

Here's hoping he continues to develop and improves significantly, or that someone else emerges.

You're right about Clark, he has dropped off significantly. At the time he was being touted I think he was performing very well to be fair to him, but that seems to have been a brief peak.

My hope, likely in vain, is that Craig Gordon gets out of Celtic in January and starts playing, manages to regain his best form and slots right back in come March. 

As I say; likely in vain. 

Barring that, hopefully Marshall stays fit and Forster gets injured or recalled by Southampton (or sold by southampton) so loses his place to Bain.