Team for San Marino - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for San Marino

ICT fan Shaun

2 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Fair enough.

Don’t know how old you are TP but, if I am honest, Scotland have been so frustratingly disappointing for a long, long time. I am 60 and have seen them in 3 WC final Tournies and 2 ECs. 

I remember actually crying in Malaga in 82 at that Russia game. Ofcourse we would all grab that level of achievement with both hands now but we qualified with fewer teams in groups. 

Hampden was much more of a fortress but it is almost like there is something in our DNA. Daft but look at how women went out of World Cup, Rugby WC 4 Years agp and even now we may go out due to weather! 

Looking further ahead, I believe that, if we do qualify for a tournament, I hope squad don’t think, ‚That’ll do then‘  It bothered me when we got to Nations League semi and we all applauded team after we beat Israel. Like we could relax and not give proper qualifiers enough as we had a fall back. 

A lot of it is self belief IMHO and we have very little just now. 

So why am I blaming SFA I ask myself. 

Just so damn frustrating- and always has been. Used to be beat England and all was well. We have continually underachieved. 

2 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

What's the score for ssc members with tickets tomorrow, can you still buy on your own name and get the point/discount at the portacabins? 

You can still buy tickets online or over the phone and pick them up tomorrow. 

2 hours ago, Terry Munro said:

What's the score for ssc members with tickets tomorrow, can you still buy on your own name and get the point/discount at the portacabins? 

Are you any good in central defence? Take yer boots. 

2 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Don’t know how old you are TP but, if I am honest, Scotland have been so frustratingly disappointing for a long, long time. I am 60 and have seen them in 3 WC final Tournies and 2 ECs. 

I remember actually crying in Malaga in 82 at that Russia game. Ofcourse we would all grab that level of achievement with both hands now but we qualified with fewer teams in groups. 

Hampden was much more of a fortress but it is almost like there is something in our DNA. Daft but look at how women went out of World Cup, Rugby WC 4 Years agp and even now we may go out due to weather! 

Looking further ahead, I believe that, if we do qualify for a tournament, I hope squad don’t think, ‚That’ll do then‘  It bothered me when we got to Nations League semi and we all applauded team after we beat Israel. Like we could relax and not give proper qualifiers enough as we had a fall back. 

A lot of it is self belief IMHO and we have very little just now. 

So why am I blaming SFA I ask myself. 

Just so damn frustrating- and always has been. Used to be beat England and all was well. We have continually underachieved. 

Not quite as old as you and that’s all I’m going to say. 😂

The SFA are not fit for purpose. I think most people would agree with that. Most of our success (if you could call it that) in terms of getting to major tournaments happened in spite of the SFA and not because of it.

In terms of coaching and grass roots football we have been caught up and overtaken by countries we used to beat comfortably. 

Having said all of that, the players we have at our disposal should be more than capable of competing with Kazakhstan and not being embarrassed by Russia. 

4 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Not quite as old as you and that’s all I’m going to say. 😂

The SFA are not fit for purpose. I think most people would agree with that. Most of our success (if you could call it that) in terms of getting to major tournaments happened in spite of the SFA and not because of it.

In terms of coaching and grass roots football we have been caught up and overtaken by countries we used to beat comfortably. 

Having said all of that, the players we have at our disposal should be more than capable of competing with Kazakhstan and not being embarrassed by Russia. 

Agree and remain convinced we need to install belief somehow. Perhaps if we win tomorrow by a few goals it will help. Or mental coaching?

I remember when Arnstrong really hit Form with Celtic and WGS played spine of Celtic team who were winning at home and in Europe and therefore with belief and we did pretty well; certainly much better than currently. 

2 minutes ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Agree and remain convinced we need to install belief somehow. Perhaps if we win tomorrow by a few goals it will help. Or mental coaching?

I remember when Arnstrong really hit Form with Celtic and WGS played spine of Celtic team who were winning at home and in Europe and therefore with belief and we did pretty well; certainly much better than currently. 

I think Armstrong leaving Celtic and not being successful at Southampton certainly  hasn’t helped Scotland. Griffiths’ problems have also affected us. 

Didn’t we have 6 or 7 Celtic players starting for us at one point? Armstrong, McGregor, Tierney, Brown, Forrest and Griffiths all linked up well and brought their understanding of playing together at club level to the national team.

Armstrong and Tierney have left Celtic, Brown has retired, Forrest’s form is up and down like a whore’s drawers and Griffiths is obviously missing at the moment. 

Things can change quickly in football though and 2 or 3 wins on the trot could give us the boost we need going into the playoffs.

13 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Things can change quickly in football though and 2 or 3 wins on the trot could give us the boost we need going into the playoffs.

Here’s hoping! Feeling better now! Roll on Nations League semi. 👍🏼

20 hours ago, Texas Pete said:

The U21s have a crucial qualifier on Monday. Why would you think it was a good idea to take away their best players to play in a meaningless match against San Marino?

I was only being half serious (and I didn't know they had a qualifier)

I do think we need to get them in for the next round of games, regardless of how "meaningless" they are. 

The November match should be an audition for the playoffs. I would expect(hope) everyone to be raring to play in those games. 

1 hour ago, Tartan blood said:

I was only being half serious (and I didn't know they had a qualifier)

I do think we need to get them in for the next round of games, regardless of how "meaningless" they are. 

The November match should be an audition for the playoffs. I would expect(hope) everyone to be raring to play in those games. 

They’ve got a qualifier in November as well. If they can still qualify then there’s no way their best players will be drafted in to play for the full team. 

Hopefully Griffiths will be back playing and our first choice central defenders are fit by March. That will make a big difference. 

19 hours ago, Jacques Hunt said:

Having the spine of a winning team sounds good. And players who know and can get the most out of each other, when the going gets tough.