Scottish player transfers - Page 222 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottish player transfers

SkyBlueScot

Archie Mair has had his loan cut short after impressing at Gateshead by Norwich and is moving up a division to Morecombe on loan for the rest of the season. Remembered for his heroics for  Notts County on loan last season in the play off finals.

1 hour ago, syecosse said:

After a long time out injured Lewis Fiorini has joined Charlton on loan from Man .City, was probably the best u21 player not so long ago. 

Bit disappointing to see him going back to league 1. He has looked promising and should be looking to play a higher level this season.

Rumour has it Southampton might come in for Shankland and that Adams might be off to Wolves. I still think Shankland. If Everton are also interested in Shankland we could have two EPL strikers in the squad. Of course, if he's going to spend his time on the bench, then it's not so good from our perspectivez. I'm just hoping he doesn't end up at the old firm.

15 minutes ago, BryanBlessed said:

Rumour has it Southampton might come in for Shankland and that Adams might be off to Wolves. I still think Shankland. If Everton are also interested in Shankland we could have two EPL strikers in the squad. Of course, if he's going to spend his time on the bench, then it's not so good from our perspectivez. I'm just hoping he doesn't end up at the old firm.

From Shankland's point of view, those would be good moves. However, it'll take him some time to settle in England, you'd imagine. Which could disrupt his form.

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd like him still firing on all cylinders for the next 6 months so he is a useful weapon at the Euros. So going to Rangers, or staying at Hearts would be the best option for us. Then he can go wherever he wants after that. 

I don't think Celtic is a good idea. He'll never be chosen ahead of Kyogo.

5 minutes ago, Tartan blood said:

From a purely selfish point of view, I'd like him still firing on all cylinders for the next 6 months so he is a useful weapon at the Euros. So going to Rangers, or staying at Hearts would be the best option for us. Then he can go wherever he wants after that. 

Yes this makes by far the most sense. And if he does force his way into the side for the Euros and does well then there is no better shop window than a major international tournament so more lucrative offers from bigger clubs may come his way.

If a club of suitable stature comes in for him and fee agreed with hearts eg Old Firm or EPL / Big Championship he’ll be off. 

It would be great from a Scotland supporters perspective if he keeps doing what he is at the moment but given he is 28 this is his last chance for a move which will provide life changing money. 

He is probably on 6-8k a week at the moment but moving to Everton, Wolves, Southampton or even Rangers he’ll be on at least £15-20k and on 4 year deal.

48 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Yes this makes by far the most sense. And if he does force his way into the side for the Euros and does well then there is no better shop window than a major international tournament so more lucrative offers from bigger clubs may come his way.

I'd like to hope he has this view on it, but as someone else mentioned, he won't want to miss out on his big chance. 

6 months is a long time in football. He could get a bad injury or lose form. That's something you can take the risk on when you are young, but at 28, he'll know he has to take whatever lucrative opportunity comes his way.

Also, if he goes to Rangers, bangs in another 15+ goals then becomes Scotland's first pick striker at the Euros, he might still end up getting an even bigger move in the summer.

11 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

If a club of suitable stature comes in for him and fee agreed with hearts eg Old Firm or EPL / Big Championship he’ll be off. 

It would be great from a Scotland supporters perspective if he keeps doing what he is at the moment but given he is 28 this is his last chance for a move which will provide life changing money. 

He is probably on 6-8k a week at the moment but moving to Everton, Wolves, Southampton or even Rangers he’ll be on at least £15-20k and on 4 year deal.

I get that but a move to an EPL club could kill his chance of getting into the Euros squad too. Lack of games at those clubs I think rules him out of the Euros. Where he is just now (or perhaps OF) should keep him in first team football and in with a far better chance of making the Euros squad. Once his career is over I think (if he misses the Euros) it will be his biggest regret.

11 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I get that but a move to an EPL club could kill his chance of getting into the Euros squad too. Lack of games at those clubs I think rules him out of the Euros. Where he is just now (or perhaps OF) should keep him in first team football and in with a far better chance of making the Euros squad. Once his career is over I think (if he misses the Euros) it will be his biggest regret.

I think he and most 28year olds with the sort of career he has had will prioritise the money before the Euros. That’s not even the choice for him though as he’ll fully expect to keep doing what he is currently at his new club.

Important to remember he was part time and working as a PT when at Ayr not too long ago.

Edited by gonzohiggy

2 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

I think he and most 28year olds with the sort of career he has had will prioritise the money before the Euros. That’s not even the choice for him though as he’ll fully expect to keep doing what he is currently at his new club.

Important to remember he was part time and working as a PT when at Ayr not too long ago.

Oh I realise just now he'd prioritize a big move for financial reasons in the here and now but if it kills his hopes of playing in the Euros it will be a big regret for him once he has hung up his boots especially if the big move does not work out for him.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Oh I realise just now he'd prioritize a big move for financial reasons in the here and now but if it kills his hopes of playing in the Euros it will be a big regret for him once he has hung up his boots especially if the big move does not work out for him.

Perhaps with hindsight but if he took the view of concentrating on the Euros he could get injured in January, miss the euros and his big money move. 

It’s a tough one but footballers generally follow the money.

7 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Perhaps with hindsight but if he took the view of concentrating on the Euros he could get injured in January, miss the euros and his big money move. 

It’s a tough one but footballers generally follow the money.

Well I'd confidently say at present any move will either be to the OF or a Championship club like Southampton. I cannot see an EPL club wading in for him at this moment in time. A Championship club I feel will play him so his Euros dream may be kept alive.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well I'd confidently say at present any move will either be to the OF or a Championship club like Southampton. I cannot see an EPL club wading in for him at this moment in time. A Championship club I feel will play him so his Euros dream may be kept alive.

Agree that seems most likely.

I do think he’d do well for the right EPL team though. Everton might be a decent fit although he’d likely be an impact player 

26 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Exactly.  I've been half asleep glancing through all these posts comparing Shankland to Dykes & Adams etc. It seems rather impossible to judge unless they play at similar levels & similar roles which they don't so you can't fairly compare them . 

Where's this Everton link came from? When's the last time a EPL club took a punt on a unproven top level 28 year old lower league forward? 

I'd be amazed if that offer came but if it did Shankland would not hesitate in grasping it. Earn life changing money comes first & he like any professional will believe he is good enough to play at that level. He has been scoring for fun at SPL level for quite some time & not guaranteed to be in our squad so why would he worry about switching to a bench/impact player at EPL level.

35 minutes ago, theabsentee said:

Exactly.  I've been half asleep glancing through all these posts comparing Shankland to Dykes & Adams etc. It seems rather impossible to judge unless they play at similar levels & similar roles which they don't so you can't fairly compare them . 

Where's this Everton link came from? When's the last time a EPL club took a punt on a unproven top level 28 year old lower league forward? 

I'd be amazed if that offer came but if it did Shankland would not hesitate in grasping it. Earn life changing money comes first & he like any professional will believe he is good enough to play at that level. He has been scoring for fun at SPL level for quite some time & not guaranteed to be in our squad so why would he worry about switching to a bench/impact player at EPL level.

Good post. We are the ones dwelling on the 'What ifs' of it all. If an EPL club wants Shankland, he'll have no reason to believe he will fail there. Especially with how confident he must be right now. 

If he takes Scotland into consideration at all, he'd most likely think it would enhance his chances of making it to the Euros.

34 minutes ago, The Black Bra said:

McKenna on the bench for Forest today, thought he’d been frozen out completely?

11 minutes ago, bigfingers said:

They do have a new manager now. 

Probably just a negotiation tactic, so they can insist on a higher price when they sell. I.e they can point at today and say "look we still see him as an important part of the squad". Doubt he'll get off the bench.

From what I can tell on limited information or translation but Jordan Holsgrove has Benfica watching him, Joined Olympiakos in the summer on loan at Estoril and has had a successful season and a half in Portugals top flight, Sunderland and Lyons name comes up also over the last few days.

12 hours ago, BryanBlessed said:

Rumour has it Southampton might come in for Shankland and that Adams might be off to Wolves.

Adams to Wolves was the rumour over the summer - probably been resuscitated after Fabio Silva and Sasa Kalajdzic both went out on loan.  Matheus Cunha has just been nominated for EPL Player of the Month, so as long as Cunha stays fit Che would struggle for game time.

Burnleys reporter has posted to twitter saying Michael Mellon will be recalled from his loan at Morecombe and will be sent to a higher club league 1 sides and SPL sides connected. 

Edited by syecosse