Russia 2018 - Page 39 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Just now, Clyde1998 said:

This. Russia knew the only way they could beat Spain was by containing them. If you think to some of our recent games against top nations - we've played in a very similar way to how Russia did today. If we'd gone and attacked those sides, we'd've been destroyed.

Well it is what they did. Parked the bus. The point I am making is not that it was a wrong tactic (it certainly wasn't) but it ain't the type of footballing tactic I enjoy watching and succeeding.

Mind when Squirrelhumper said he hoped this would be a shite WC both on and off the pitch, and that Russia shouldn’t have been awarded it in the first place?

He must be feeling a bit of a tube. 

2 minutes ago, exile said:

My long term take on tournaments is that you have to factor in home advantage not only of the host nation but the rough climatic zone. When do we ever get to play in the rain in tournament football?  Never mind have home advantage. It's only fair that sometimes Spain have to play in the rain! I think it's not a coincidence that Sweden did well when it was in Sweden, England, Russia, etc etc. (Denmark in Sweden euro 92, etc).  

Aye, and even when we got to play at a tournament in England, they decided to have a heatwave. Bawbags.

4 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Well it is what they did. Parked the bus. The point I am making is not that it was a wrong tactic (it certainly wasn't) but it ain't the type of footballing tactic I enjoy watching and succeeding.

It's more exciting than watching Spain playing that tippy tappy shyte and trying to walk the ball into the net. 

1 minute ago, exile said:

My long term take on tournaments is that you have to factor in home advantage not only of the host nation but the rough climatic zone. When do we ever get to play in the rain in tournament football?  Never mind have home advantage. It's only fair that sometimes Spain have to play in the rain! I think it's not a coincidence that Sweden did well when it was in Sweden, England, Russia, etc etc. (Denmark in Sweden euro 92, etc).  

World Cups shouldn't be played in the summer as hardly anyone plays football then normally. Very few qualifying matches are played in the summer too.

Imagine how good Brazil would be if they were playing in Moscow in December while it's snowing, for example. Climate is a huge factor in a team's chances of success.

7 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

World Cups shouldn't be played in the summer as hardly anyone plays football then normally. Very few qualifying matches are played in the summer too.

Imagine how good Brazil would be if they were playing in Moscow in December while it's snowing, for example. Climate is a huge factor in a team's chances of success.

Yes that's what I mean - maybe Brazil can play anywhere but for most teams, they wouldn't fancy playing in a northern winter, any more than we fancy playing in places like Seville.

Of course not the whole story - Denmark did OK in Mexico, etc. - and we have failed to qualify with half our games at home - but on average the warmer countries do have a long term advantage.

But the telling point would be, imagine suggesting hosting a tournament in Scottish winter conditions - they'd say ooooh noooo but we wouldn't be able to play our normal game - that's the point.

1 hour ago, Huddersfield said:

Aye, but the cup's spent enough time there. I reckon it's down to them, France, or Croatia as my dark horse now. I'd love to see Denmark push on though as the last time any Huddersfield player had anything to do with the World Cup was 1962, so be good to see Zanka at least get a bit more game time.

What about ex players? Denis Law played in 74.

5 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

What about ex players? Denis Law played in 74.

Think we’ve had one or two former players there but not many. Ray Wilson in 66, Law in 74 & probably the odd couple besides.  Zanka’s just become the first ever Town player to score in the finals. Ray Wilson was the last to play whilst a Town player in 62. We’ve had 4 there this time although one (Ramadan Sobhi) only just signed for us. 

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

The thing is though England scored at the death against a feeble Tunisia side to win then hammered debutants Panama and lost against the first decent side they faced. Okay they had a weakened side out but so did Belgium. England look sus at the back.

Playing a right back as a centre half who's never played there before is about as suss as you can get

But the draw has gloriously opened up for them

If they can't get to at least the semis this time they never will

Just now, Orraloon said:

Why didn't he get sent off?

They changed the rule a couple of years back that if a penalty is given for denying an obvious goal, then the referee doesn't have to give a red.

Should've been though.

Do these commentators know what they’re talking about?

In the early kick off, going into extra time he said the players are tired and they’ve used all three subs a couple of times

In this game the commentator questioned whether the player was offside from a throw-in

A wee bit of homework on the rules during these long haul flights would do them the world of good