Alexander Elliot Salmond - Page 5 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alexander Elliot Salmond

Yes, a minority. As in "lost a referendum", not as in "ethnic". Nice try at use of emotive language though.

The Scottish symbols on the effigy are to lampoon the shortbread tin nationalism of which Salmond is the hallmark, not Scotland as a nation.

The good townsfolk of Lewes and their merry online followers are more sophisticated than I thought, if they distinguish between Scottish ethnicity, Scotland as a nation and 'shortbread tin nationalism'

But the simple test of whether something is reasonable or 'emotive' - which many others have put on here - is the reaction if it was the other way round.

There was a great example this summer, when the Guardian ran a piece sarcastically mocking Scotland, after which a Scottish journalist reversed it in jest, and his piece was picked up by English commentators thinking it was for real, and labelled it vile and probably racist or xenophobic. Yet it used the same language and tone as the original piece printed 'for a laugh' in the Guardian...

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It all depends on who's taking the pash and what is being mocked as to whether certain folk find it funny though. The Scots rip the pash out of the English and vice versa - long may it continue.

And political figures have long been mocked in this country. Although apparently a GIRUY to Salmond is worth police intervention. So glad

Yes didn't win, for that reason alone. Cliping to the cops - utterly pathetic.

Not sure why Nessie got dragged into it though. The first dinosaur was discovered by Gideon Mantell, a sophisticated man from Lewes. I think you should respond in kind by burning an effigy of an iguanodon.

It all depends on who's taking the pash and what is being mocked as to whether certain folk find it funny though. The Scots rip the pash out of the English and vice versa - long may it continue.

And political figures have long been mocked in this country. Although apparently a GIRUY to Salmond is worth police intervention. So glad

Not sure why Nessie got dragged into it though. The first dinosaur was discovered by Gideon Mantell, a sophisticated man from Lewes. I think you should respond in kind by burning an effigy of an iguanodon.

You really have the cringe bad

I am guessing from his username he is a former pupil of George Watsons College and as such will be your classic edinburgh snob private schoolboy. We all know the type.

Totally

I think we need to organise the burning of The Queen and Princess Di. I wondered that would just be banter?

Thinking about this makes you realise we are not yet masters of our own country. The media, including our own, likes to hype any incidents of anti Englishness (yet is usually quiet on sectarianism). We can imagine the fury that would emanate from the Scottish chattering class were the people of Lewis, rather than Lewes, to burn an effigy of the pope or princess Di.

It has got to the stage that a well known trope in England is the Scots hate the English. Murray Pittock (himself English) did an academic study of English people who had moved to Scotland. They all had a widespread fear of being abused for their nationality (thanks to what they heard in the media) and yet the reality was completely different.

The media tells the English we are racist. The media tells *us* we are racist, for having the temerity to seek self determination, yet is quite happy for instances of racism that don't threaten the establishment to thrive. The media in this country disgusts me.

Plus all the McGlashan stuff Bob... Where is the comedic equivalent of the Kelvin Mackenzies the Simon Heffers and the countless other english racists. Plenty McEnglick's on here too who see nothing but cringe in everything Scottish. And they are the ones who constantly refer to McGlashan this and McGlashan that. Funny that.

The fact we have no voice no respect at all in the media is the clearest indicator you will get of our relationship in this 'Union'. We are property, cattle to be corralled using fear and lies and then to add insult to injury they cast us as the bigots. This is what they do...

English prowlers on here latching onto the faintest hint of anti englishness while down south the comment sections of every major newspaper is full of anti Scottish racism.

It is not us who have the problem with the English it is the English who have the problem with us.

Hmmmm

people like you make me feel slightly queasy.

you know like when you open some food that has gone off or smells bad you get a strange feeling in your stomach and a bit of a shiver down the back of your neck.

people like you make me feel slightly queasy.

you know like when you open some food that has gone off or smells bad you get a strange feeling in your stomach and a bit of a shiver down the back of your neck.

Probably bullied at school (or judging by his posh username, done up the tradesman's at George Watson's).

I am guessing from his username he is a former pupil of George Watsons College and as such will be your classic edinburgh snob private schoolboy. We all know the type.

Watson's is very much a second class private school in Edinburgh. Well behind Fettes, Merchiston, Heriot's, StewMel. It's the folk who want to be posh but are not too smart.

Watson's is very much a second class private school in Edinburgh. Well behind Fettes, Merchiston, Heriot's, StewMel. It's the folk who want to be posh but are not too smart.

But reasonably wealthy. Fees of 10K a year give you an idea of the sort of folk who send their kids there to be indoctrinated and other unmentionable things. Over the years I have met about a dozen ex Watsons chaps. Every single one a total fukin bawbag.

Edit - Oops, just noticed Flora has just mentioned the "unmentionable"

Edited by Orraloon

This is my kind of Burns night. What a Bonniefire. Looks like it's Salmond's feet to the fire. Penny for the guy? Nope, get your own currency.

Amusing, but not as funny as the reaction from humourless Yessers. :-))

A self loather & a cringer !!

Sad really fckn sad.

Strange how nothing has changed in over 400 years, the original mob including Guy Fawkes were anti Scottish then, it was all about blowing James 1st and the Scottish back to there Scottish mountains as quoted by Fawkes.

Poor old Alex only wants home rule for Scotland, so to pick on him and Nessie is a clear sign of how racist the English are.