The Cringe In Reverse - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Used to look at the saltire with pride and hope.

Now? Symbol of defeat.

Kilt? Packed away for good.

Rugger? Used to enjoy. Cannot now as to me represents betrayal and " plastic jocks".

The game is big in Edinburgh and Borders, now what a surprise that is!!!!!!

Having regular arguments with an incredibly disillusioned Yes voter just now who on insists on calling Scotland North Britain, he took the Saltire down and actually binned it, albeit with a wee quiet greet. He's finished with the football and where we agree is FoS being far too embarrassing to sing. He really expected a Yes vote whereas I never did. 300 hundred years was never going to be overcome in 2. We got 45% of the vote with not only no main stream newspaper, TV/radio station behind us but actively fighting against us. So I think 45% is amazing. I can't believe people are surprised at the amount of selfish chunts who live here, they live everywhere. The wealthy Nos are a lost cause but the ones like my neighbours, single parents not doing too badly but not rolling in money are the ones I hope get hammered to hell. When I'm out with the rabbits and I hear my neighbours are also out I love having calls on my phone, talking to no one about how the child benefit is getting cut, mortgages going up, prescription charges being brought back, etc. But then I feel bad as many like them voted Yes and they too will get hammered.

It does feel like a hopeless time and I absolutely understand Flora wanting to leave and go to Italy, (and visit more sex clubs.) Ally not going to football (I was planning on travelling again but haven't even bought any home tickets.) and the others who are so very, very disillusioned. Lick your wounds for a few weeks then we have to get back out there and speak to the ordinary No voters, not the selfish and greedy but the more illiterate, computer and otherwise and the lazy feckers who didn't look further than their own noses. Start now so it seeps into their very pores that we're a great country, so great that every major establishment in Europe and even the USA felt the need to lie in a massive way to keep us.

And if none of that works come and meet my rabbits, they have a very calming effect when you stroke them. (not a euphemism.)

I work with a no voting woman who said her life was good, she and her husband were well off and didnt want that to be changed. When I asked her about the cuts to funding that are coming from Westminster, she replied it won't affect her in any way because she is doing well. When it was pointed out the cuts will have an effect, especially on poorer people, she thought I was talking nonsense and told me the cuts won't affect anyone!!! That is what we are up against.

I work with a no voting woman who said her life was good, she and her husband were well off and didnt want that to be changed. When I asked her about the cuts to funding that are coming from Westminster, she replied it won't affect her in any way because she is doing well. When it was pointed out the cuts will have an effect, especially on poorer people, she thought I was talking nonsense and told me the cuts won't affect anyone!!! That is what we are up against.

Fecking hell, can't really blame her as her life is twice as good as anyone else!

;);)

Everytime I see a Saltire, I am reminded that we are not a country.

I can't help imagining a diminished fragmented saltire, made up of just the bits not overwritten by the union flag.

(see temporary avatar)

From one point of view, it symbolises something incomplete, too wee to be a country in its own right.

From another point of view, it symbolises something incomplete, awaiting restoration...

Edited by exile

I would normally wear my Scotland fleece to go and watch my son play football (In Norwich) - Today I (Couldn't) didn't.

I will get past this but by god it's hard.

I've no idea how I will feel in Warsaw in a little over 3 weeks.

Just my view - Not everyone's I accept.

If you voted yes then hold your head up, I'm Scottish not British never have been and never will be.

Next task eradicating Scottish Labour(redtories ) and getting a majority SNP into westminster declaring independece, getting the ferk out of this god awful union, then voting for whoever the ferk you like in an independent Scotland....it is inevitable.

#45andrising

My absolute favourite the 'lifelong nationalist' devoting his TAMB identity to closing catholic schools in the years preceding the referendum.

Catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, catholic schools, and then pricelessly one day...why does George Galloway think like he does? Hmmmm...it's a mystery isn't it.

I would normally wear my Scotland fleece to go and watch my son play football (In Norwich) - Today I (Couldn't) didn't.

This is exactly how I am feeling.

I went to Arbroath yesterday and seen tons of boats in the harbour with the Saltire and many with Yes flags as well. I just felt a bit deflated, I think I even spoke a loud ''FFS'' every few minutes.

Without sounding like a tool, it's almost like I am and I imagine many of us are in grieving.

Anger, tears, denial, etc, now on to apathy, but joined the SNP so not willing to give it all up at all.

i would pack it, just in case

i believe it can get a bit nippy at night out there

It might make people feel better, and help you understand NO voters, if you defined yourself by something other than your nationality. Slip the metaphorical saltire from your shoulders, at least for a while, and just be yourself.

Here are the words of a very wise man:

'Nationalism is a cheap instinct and a dangerous tool. Take away from any country what it owes to other countries; and then be proud of of it if you can.

In a poor country, patriotism is to believe that one's country would be the best if it were rich and powerful. In a rich one patriotism is to believe one's country is the best because it is rich and powerful. So patriotism becomes the desire to get what others have or to keep others from getting what one has. In short, it is an aspect of conservatism; of animal envy and animal selfishness.'