Frank Koppel - Page 2 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

21 hours ago, faircity said:

My old man has Alzheimers, he is mid 60s now but has been in a home for 8 or 9 years and it truly is a disgusting illness. 

His decline from diagnosis to was outrageosly quick, im talking weeks here. 

I had him out one christmas eve, he knew everybody, cracking away, having a laugh, knew he had Alzheimers at this point  and three days later he was in hospital, never knew who I was when I visited that day and never has since. Heart breaking stuff. The way medication is used on these people is a disgrace and in my opinion those prescribing have a lot to.answer for. 

After attending numerous medication reviews the doctors stubbornly refuse to even consider toying with medication and it is basically a box ticking exercise. I lay the blame for the acceleration firmly at their door. 

He is still alive but doesnt speak, cant walk, shows zero emotion. Its not even an existance. 

He played against Jim Baxter, Alex Ferguson amongst others, not sure if heading a ball is responsible for it in any way but it truly is a horrible condition and any research into it is welcomed as far as im concerned. 

Sorry to hear Faircity. :(

Who did he play for btw?

On 09/03/2017 at 10:02 PM, adamntg said:

You don't use size 5s in Scotland till you're 13 or 14.   And I've seen very little evidence of these dinosaurs you're talking about in my years in kids football. There are many reasons we've fallen behind, but bad coaching at a young age is not a significant one I don't think.  It's all about the ball on the ground on immaculate astro turf pitches these days.

if I had to blame one thing it's a lack of places for kids to play unsupervised, e.g. beautiful million pound school pitches chained up at the weekend, and if I had to blame another it would be FIFA17 on the Xbox.  

Man's then I'd probably just blame our small league, our small population and then Rangers or something. 

The locked up pitches thing does my head in. One of our high schools now has to leave it open as a kid fell and broke an arm or leg (can't remember which) climbing into the pitch, there was lots of complaining etc by parents. The other still locks it but it's occasionally left open/padlock not locked. I've said before community wardens do all, let them open pitches at 9 or 10, go check them throughout the day and lock them like 9pm

Sorry I know that's nothing to do with the topic.

Would be interesting g to see a lot of research into it and agree that it would be worse back in the day with heavier balls etc. It's not ideal to not let kids header at all, but obviously if it's beneficial health wise then it's worth it

• 2 years later...

I've just scanned the BBC article.  Is there any indication to the extent that the weight of the ball makes a difference.  Certainly Jeff Astle would have been heading a very different type of ball to modern players.  Also is there research about what age this is most significant in terms of brain development?

On 3/10/2017 at 1:05 PM, dandydunn said:

I'll have a look into that courses,cheers. 

Im certainly not quibbling about the PVG,just more that I already have one to work in primary schools,but need another and they seem less than keen to let people nominate themselves to apply.  

It is a bit of a hassle. I'm a primary school teacher but my pvg for teaching didn't cover me for coaching youth football. I needed a whole new one that was then club specific. If I was to coach at another club I would need a whole new one! I still don't see why they cant be shared and transferable. You can download the pvg form from sfa or relevant sector and fill it out yourself and send it off.

Edited by iainmac1

46 minutes ago, iainmac1 said:

It is a bit of a hassle. I'm a primary school teacher but my pvg for teaching didn't cover me for coaching youth football. I needed a whole new one that was then club specific. If I was to coach at another club I would need a whole new one! I still don't see why they cant be shared and transferable. You can download the pvg form from sfa or relevant sector and fill it out yourself and send it off.

Funny this should come up again. Just completed my children’s well being course on Sunday as I’ve started helping out at my boys club team. Going well so far and the kids seem to be taking to my complete lack of knowledge on coaching quite well. The bairn is delighted as he thinks he’ll get it easier at training now because I’m there as he gets it right from the other coaches as he’s the captain and should lead by example. He knows nothing about what’s coming next from me once I get onto him 🤣🤣

On 10/22/2019 at 4:39 PM, Hertsscot said:

I've just scanned the BBC article.  Is there any indication to the extent that the weight of the ball makes a difference.  Certainly Jeff Astle would have been heading a very different type of ball to modern players.  Also is there research about what age this is most significant in terms of brain development?

No and no. The study doesn't go into that much detail. I believe the study doesn't even attempt to link dementia in later life with heading the ball. That's just an assumption that has been made. More detailed studies are required.

12 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

No and no. The study doesn't go into that much detail. I believe the study doesn't even attempt to link dementia in later life with heading the ball. That's just an assumption that has been made. More detailed studies are required.

Another study is currently underway, with players who are still alive and over 50, which is specifically trying to assess how much heading of the ball they did in their playing days and what effect it may have had on their cognitive function. 

• 1 year later...