Yer T's oot - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

My only ever one was 98 or 99. Can't remember exactly. Wasn't something I enjoyed to waste another whole weekend on the year after. Rolling around in mud wisnae really my cup o tea. Jaunts abroad from there on in was what I spent my dosh on after. 

Must have been 98, 99 was cracking weather, rained for about 5 mins hard during faithless on the Saturday afternoon, then the sun split the sky after that. 

Reason I mind as me and one of my mates just sat when it came on, as everyone bolted for cover, then we dried off in like 30 mins in the sun after.

28 minutes ago, phart said:

Must have been 98, 99 was cracking weather, rained for about 5 mins hard during faithless on the Saturday afternoon, then the sun split the sky after that. 

Reason I mind as me and one of my mates just sat when it came on, as everyone bolted for cover, then we dried off in like 30 mins in the sun after.

It was the year that, that whank Robbie Williams was there along with acts like Space and Catatonia.

It became a ridiculous self-congratulatory nedfest where people attended for the "event" rather than.the music.  Loads of people acting "mad" to get on social media.  Wait a min this all sounds familiar...

Did my box in how it was marketed as "Scotland's Music Festival" ignoring all the other festivals on the go.  I always wanted to do Wickerman and Belladrum more attractive for families.  The Connect Festivals were far superior and about music. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connect_Music_Festival

19 minutes ago, Alan said:

It became a ridiculous self-congratulatory nedfest where people attended for the "event" rather than.the music.  Loads of people acting "mad" to get on social media. 

Certainly mirrors to an extent some of the 'Tartan Army' over the last 10 years or so. I haven't travelled abroad for the last 6 years but still hope to sometime in the future, but the 'stag trip' brigade was certainly beginning to be more obvious around about that time, including in our own wee group where people had been regailed with weird and wonderful tales of fantastic foreign adventures and escapades. They then started to ask to come on the trips despite not being hugely bothered about football. And it's not the same atmosphere when you are talking to these guys who can barely name their 3 favourite players.

Edit - sorry, meant to say that these types of things - in these cases T in the Park, and Tartan Army trips abroad - tend to become popular for being popular, and folk hear such good things about them that they are desperate to get involved, despite not being huge music/football fans.

Edited by killiefaetheferry

11 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

Why not just regurgitate the TITP thread from the TAMB archive of a few months ago and save everyone the bother of reinventing the moanfest . 

Hate to think what the comments will be like after a 3 day event at Glasgow Green. 

I think some folk forget the states of folk when it was at Strathclyde park.  The music may have changed over the years but always been a bit trashy.  Saying that though, I think that's what made it unique.  The deaths over the last couple of years certainly brought about its end.

1 hour ago, Mindimoo said:

I agree,  and the deaths are a tragedy.  

As you say , TITP was always a little bit rough,  but not particularly unsafe. I accept it has probably got worse as the numbers rose and the chances of something going wrong increased. Not everyone is as negative about it as this board is right enough.  A good friend of mine went 2 years ago for the first time in his 52 yrs. He took his downs syndrome son who is in his early twenties, they both love music. All sorts of music.,They had a ball. This guy is the furthest thing from a ned you could imagine, he would not have stayed for 3 days if he felt uncomfortable. Just depends what you encounter I suppose,  and what your music expectations are. 

7 hours ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Certainly mirrors to an extent some of the 'Tartan Army' over the last 10 years or so. I haven't travelled abroad for the last 6 years but still hope to sometime in the future, but the 'stag trip' brigade was certainly beginning to be more obvious around about that time, including in our own wee group where people had been regailed with weird and wonderful tales of fantastic foreign adventures and escapades. They then started to ask to come on the trips despite not being hugely bothered about football. And it's not the same atmosphere when you are talking to these guys who can barely name their 3 favourite players.

Edit - sorry, meant to say that these types of things - in these cases T in the Park, and Tartan Army trips abroad - tend to become popular for being popular, and folk hear such good things about them that they are desperate to get involved, despite not being huge music/football fans.

I can see myself hunting you out next year with my Mrs. Here was me thinking you were just a West Coast weirdo tae! 

14 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Why not just regurgitate the TITP thread from the TAMB archive of a few months ago and save everyone the bother of reinventing the moanfest . 

Hate to think what the comments will be like after a 3 day event at Glasgow Green. 

If it's anything like Gig on the Green my comments will be positive. 

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

If it's anything like Gig on the Green my comments will be positive. 

Praise indeed. 

According to reports the 3,day event is supposed to be aimed at an older crowd and families and no dance music,  which sounds up your street. However if killiefaetheferry is to be believed, and I think he has a point, it may be the case that the same people go to the GG gig purely by association to TITP and its popularity, regardless of how the organisers try to promote it. 

18 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I don't think GG will suffer as badly as T as it will be non-camping. The general bawbaggedry and neddery takes place in the campsite. Youngsters away from home for 3-4 days, no parental supervision and no one to "report" in to at night so no bother for the state they are in. A daily festival where they have to somehow get to home at the end of the evening will curtail a few of them. Not all but then there is always people pished at gigs, and football, but that thought in the back of the head about having to get home will stop a few of them.

I hope it comes off, have a hotel booked for 3 nights, would like a festival with less dance music/zero EDM pish.

Mrs Fairbairn has been dying to see Coldplay for some time and we missed the Hampden gig earlier this so I've bought her tickets plus flights and digs to go and see them in Dublin next year and there are now strong rumours that they're going to be one of the headlines for this new GG festival the same weekend!! :banghead:

26 minutes ago, Dalgety Bay TA said:

I don't think GG will suffer as badly as T as it will be non-camping. The general bawbaggedry and neddery takes place in the campsite. Youngsters away from home for 3-4 days, no parental supervision and no one to "report" in to at night so no bother for the state they are in. A daily festival where they have to somehow get to home at the end of the evening will curtail a few of them. Not all but then there is always people pished at gigs, and football, but that thought in the back of the head about having to get home will stop a few of them.

I hope it comes off, have a hotel booked for 3 nights, would like a festival with less dance music/zero EDM pish.

Those are fair points , although I am not sure how much the undesirsble element will care about what their parents think. On the other hand I imagine there will be a greater police presence with it being so close to built up areas and that may curtail any trouble. 

Might go along myself, just depends how much I can stretch the 'older crowd' description . My attendance will lift the average age to bowling club proportions. 

Rock on Glasgow Green was pretty good in its day (from what I recall it was effectively TiTP Lite, with effectively the same headlining line up?) just never recovered from when the sponsorship pulled out and when the messed around with the dates to accommodate Metallica (did they not move it to something stupid like 5pm on a Thursday afternoon, because that was the only hour throughout the whole summer they could spare).

Hope this new Glasgow Green festival can be a success.

I'd imagine it'll be a bit more like the British Summer Time "festival" that's been running under different names in Hyde Park for the last dozen years ago.  It's not really a festival as such, more a series of different big outdoor gigs held on consequtive days with different sorts of line ups and very different audiences.   For example, this year's headline acts are Green Day, Kings of Leon and Phil Collins.  I don't see many people who are going on the Friday to see Phil Collins will be hanging around to see Green Day on the Saturday.  If it doesn't start out that way, I can definately see it evolving that way if it becomes a permanent fixture as it makes perfect sense for a city centre event.

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

I'd imagine it'll be a bit more like the British Summer Time "festival" that's been running under different names in Hyde Park for the last dozen years ago.  It's not really a festival as such, more a series of different big outdoor gigs held on consequtive days with different sorts of line ups and very different audiences.   For example, this year's headline acts are Green Day, Kings of Leon and Phil Collins.  I don't see many people who are going on the Friday to see Phil Collins will be hanging around to see Green Day on the Saturday.  If it doesn't start out that way, I can definately see it evolving that way if it becomes a permanent fixture as it makes perfect sense for a city centre event.

Effectively moving the Glasgow Summer Sessions festival from Bellahouston Park to Glasgow Green and adding in more acts?

22 hours ago, aaid said:

Exactly what I'm hoping for. 

On 01/12/2016 at 1:17 PM, Fairbairn said:

Mrs Fairbairn has been dying to see Coldplay for some time and we missed the Hampden gig earlier this so I've bought her tickets plus flights and digs to go and see them in Dublin next year and there are now strong rumours that they're going to be one of the headlines for this new GG festival the same weekend!! :banghead:

Nightmare. 

Imagine having to see that pr1ck twice,when once would've been more than enough to last a lifetime. 

On 01/12/2016 at 1:27 AM, Ormond said:

I can see myself hunting you out next year with my Mrs. Here was me thinking you were just a West Coast weirdo tae! 

:lol: . Hmmmm..........a gentleman fermer in a deerstalker and a yank bird in white sports shoes and a golf visor sneaking up on me..... think I will see yous coming a mile away :P

• 1 month later...

Headliners for this new Glasgow Green version announced last night.

Friday - Radiohead, Belle & Sebastian, Rag N' Boneman

Sat - Kasabian, Catfish and the Bottleman, Kooks

Sunday - Biffy Clyro, Twin Atlantic, Two Door Cinema Club and Blossoms.

Already getting panned by the hardcore TiTP crowd.....

Have to say I really like it, as its a good mixture that will appeal to a different rage of festival go'er (Friday will appeal more to your Wickerman/Electric Fields Style festival go'er who got fed up with TiTP years ago, while Sunday will attract your more hardcore TiTP/Ned/Bam festival go'er).

Really considering about going on the Friday myself.

Edited by wanderer

On 2/1/2017 at 11:19 AM, wanderer said:

Headliners for this new Glasgow Green version announced last night.

Friday - Radiohead, Belle & Sebastian, Rag N' Boneman

Sat - Kasabian, Catfish and the Bottleman, Kooks

Sunday - Biffy Clyro, Twin Atlantic, Two Door Cinema Club and Blossoms.

Already getting panned by the hardcore TiTP crowd.....

Have to say I really like it, as its a good mixture that will appeal to a different rage of festival go'er (Friday will appeal more to your Wickerman/Electric Fields Style festival go'er who got fed up with TiTP years ago, while Sunday will attract your more hardcore TiTP/Ned/Bam festival go'er).

Really considering about going on the Friday myself.

Haven't seen a lot of "panning", most of my crowd, a lot of whom are still TITP goers and have been for years all think its a decent line up/set up. The only criticisms I have seen are its a lot of the same acts who appeared regularly at T.

And would disagree on your analysis of Sunday line up. The 1975, Twin Atlantic, Two Door Cinema Club and Blossoms are hardly the sort of acts to attract bampots. 

PS