England match thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

England match thread

exile

2 minutes ago, buckielugger said:

Apart from minnows Malta & Gibraltar, last win in a competitive game was 2 years ago against Ireland at Celtic Park....dreadful record.

Far too many players selected...little continuity...clueless formations....

Strachan is a nice guy...but he simply doesn't have what it takes. Sorry Gordon, thanks for all your efforts but please hand the baton on to someone better

He's a self-serving, obstinate, contrary little ##### .

Worst manager we've ever had, worse than Vogts.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the last campaign:

- finishing, both foot and head, has gone to crap

- defending simple cross balls and headers has gone to crap

We know we already had limitations in both departments but we weren't as bad as now. Mostly the same players. If you don't take your chances and you leak simple goals, you are going to struggle no matter how well you play in general. For the second game in a row, our opponents didn't really have to work for their victory. England didn't impress me much more than Slovakia in general play. They didn't cut us to shreds with brilliant incisive passing football.

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Poor England team just pumped us. 

One of the most pathetic defeats I've seen.  Central defence was a total joke and our attack was utterly toothless again . 

Not sure Strachan can have any excuse here. 

Only excuse is we haven't got the players up front or at the back.  I can't see we've got obvious replacements for any of them either, Chris and Russell Martin, would they had made a difference tonight?  If we  haven't got the key players in those positions we have to look at how the rest of the team sets up to help out in those areas.

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

ask northern Ireland whether a manager makes any difference

Northern Iteland are pish.  How many actual very good results have they had?  A lucky draw to qualify and one win in four games at the Euros.  

Edited by adamntg

For 50 odd minutes we did quite well. We still look a class behind England though ; everything from first touch to creativity we are miles behind, but we actually played better than we have in a long time for a short period and really were unlucky to be behind at half-time.

Our defence and especially centre halves are utterly honking. You fear anytime a decent side plays us and they whip in a cross or setpiece that it will end up in the back of the net. Grant Hanley is a carthorse and an awful defender, an absolute liability. We are never going to improve if we cannot do basic things like defend or mark players - all three of their goals were unmarked, and it could have been more if not for a bit of luck or England missing a sitter.

The biggest disappointment of tonight is that it flatters England. Whilst no team was brilliant in the first-half we certainly had a good half and created more opportunities, yet when we flap like an accordion under pressure, we are quite rightly going to end up nowhere.

Plus sides - Lee Wallace played alright, and thought Brown did well too. Griffiths worked hard and almost had a few chances although poor decision making to not put Snodgrass through. He deserves another chance up front on his todd.

Hate to say it as I've been a big fan but Darren Fletcher's international career probably should be over or at least nowhere near a XI place. Gave the ball away again too easily like the whole campaign.

As for Strachan. I think he was unlucky tonight, but the past few games have been awful and he should've went for that. Whilst tonight we were nowhere near as bad as the last two matches, I think he's gone as far as he can with us and probably should go. I imagine he will. His reign has been mixed - started off alright, a good run in the middle, but the last 20 months or so have been poor backed up by some odd management decisions.

Same old, same old. And our campaign is over after four games. Rotten stuff, and the whole SFA need to go too!

1 minute ago, Bino's said:

ask northern Ireland whether a manager makes any difference

Exactly.

Our players aren't great, we all know that. All we can hope for is a manager who can make a team greater than the sum of their parts. 

3 minutes ago, adamntg said:

Northern Iteland are pish.  How many actual very good results have they had?  A lucky draw to qualify and one win in four games at the Euros.  

Pretty harsh.

They just beat Azerbaijan, 3-0.  A very good result and one I doubt we'll see Scotland repeating anytime soon.

They also have Czech Republic to come to Belfast and looking in a great position for the Playoffs.

O'Neill has worked wonders with that squad.

2 minutes ago, Bino's said:

Kyle Lafferty 20 northern Ireland goals

I thought it was April 1st.  Norwich and Rangers fans will be amazed.  I don' think N.Ireland are better than us man for man but they're certainly tighter at the back whether thats down to individuals or the way the team sets up or both.