Team for Slovenia - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team for Slovenia

GordyA88

Phillips started well on Thursday, but by about 40 minutes, he looked like he was towing a caravan.

Forrest had one of his best games in a Scotland shirt, and was still an anonymous shitebag.

I doubt Phillips will be fit enough to start, but expect Strachan to persist with Forrest.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Fletcher keeps the ball moving, especially from side to side. He was very effective on Thursday at getting it wide quickly so we could use space to get balls into the box. He's lost a bit of pace and not particularly aggressive but we need that ball retention. How many times are we frustrated at nothing balls getting fired forward for the likes of S Fletcher to challenge for ? I prefer this style of getting the ball wide as much as possible. Plays to our strengths in wide areas and gives time for support to arrive into the box as well. To do this, however, we need a Brown or a Fletcher type to 'recycle' possession until a clear forward pass or cross can be manufactured. It takes patience, from the fans as well as the players. Tonking it long to a big target only works if Joe Jordan is waiting for it.

Yes, agree in theory - that kind of player can be veryĀ useful. Particularly against a team like Slovakia, less so vs Slovenia.Ā 

However,Ā Fletcherā€™sĀ ball retention is in factĀ below average, despite what you might think. The facts, which were posted on here a couple of days agoĀ show that he is poor at retaining possession (vs our other midfielders). You canā€™t really say he is of the same ilk as Brown, who by contrast is one of the top midfielders in Europe when it comes to ball retention.Ā 

Im not saying fletcher isnā€™t a good player, but clearly retention is not his strong suit. Yet you think it is?

So if not retention, not pace, not creativity, what real stuff is he doing well to help us win the game?

Ā 

57 minutes ago, JECK said:

Haha I knew asking about fletcher and bannan would provoke these differing opinions. Especially re fletcher - the guy is pure marmite-Ā folk have totally different perceptions of how he performs in almost all Scotland games he plays. Its like folk are watching different games.

Itā€™s crazy, I donā€™t even know whatā€™s real anymore

1 hour ago, sbcmfc said:

Phillips started well on Thursday, but by about 40 minutes, he looked like he was towing a caravan.

Forrest had one of his best games in a Scotland shirt, and was still an anonymous shitebag.

I doubt Phillips will be fit enough to start, but expect Strachan to persist with Forrest.

Why is he a shitebag?Ā 

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

I just wouldn't pick Forrest. Ā Never done anything of note for Scotland in my view. Still, I bet strachan picks him.

That seems to be the opinion of the overwhelming majority of folk.

including the bit about Strachan picking him regardless.

He'll have more caps than Jimmy Johnstone or Davie Cooper within 6 months and he's done nothing!

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Yes, agree in theory - that kind of player can be veryĀ useful. Particularly against a team like Slovakia, less so vs Slovenia.Ā 

However,Ā Fletcherā€™sĀ ball retention is in factĀ below average, despite what you might think. The facts, which were posted on here a couple of days agoĀ show that he is poor at retaining possession (vs our other midfielders). You canā€™t really say he is of the same ilk as Brown, who by contrast is one of the top midfielders in Europe when it comes to ball retention.Ā 

Im not saying fletcher isnā€™t a good player, but clearly retention is not his strong suit. Yet you think it is?

So if not retention, not pace, not creativity, what real stuff is he doing well to help us win the game?

Ā 

I think where Fletcher suffers with this is that he is more adventurous with his distribution. Can only assume he is encouraged to do this, whereas Brown has matured into a player who totally plays to his strengths and he is safer in possession as he doesn't attempt as many directly forward passes. Overall I think Brown is more effective in that role. As things stand though, I do think Fletcher is the best option for an experienced head in the middle, good awareness and organisational skills.

I should add that I don't think statistics can reveal the true influence of a player on the game.......unless it's like 'scores with every 3rd attempt at goal' and has loads of attempts !

Edited by killiefaetheferry

Hope he drops Phillips and Forrest. Both can beat a man but that is literally it.

For Scotland neither has shown an end product or can defend at all. I'd probably bring in Snodgrass and Anya

Ā 

Oh and I'd swap Bannan and Morrison around.

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I just wouldn't pick Forrest. Ā Never done anything of note for Scotland in my view. Still, I bet strachan picks him.

Forrest will play, as Tierney will play right back but won't overlap

Ā 

there's no other choice in the squad

in the end the balance of the midfield was the holder the ball player the runner

Ā 

which is what you want but Morrison didn't make enough forward runs

Ā 

he got beyond the striker once and denied by a world class save

Ā 

same team but Morrison must make more runs/late runs into the box

Ā 

McGregor will do this but call up too late and game too big I feel

Relying on the old guard to get a result can work at home (just) but not so much on the road

Bannan and Morrison are powder puff and if they both start i fear the worst

On current form Brown is a right sore miss for this game

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Relying on the old guard to get a result can work at home (just) but not so much on the road

Bannan and Morrison are powder puff and if they both start i fear the worst

On current form Brown is a right sore miss for this game

You need to urinate with the willy youā€™ve got as my old granny used to say.Ā 

Brown and Armstrong pulling out wereĀ both huge blows but we need to forget that, move on and get a result with the players we do have.Ā 

Strachan has been getting results with his selections recently so who are we to say he is picking the wrong players?

1 minute ago, Texas Pete said:

You need to urinate with the willy youā€™ve got as my old granny used to say.Ā 

Brown and Armstrong pulling out wereĀ both huge blows but we need to forget that, move on and get a result with the players we do have.Ā 

Strachan has been getting results with his selections recently so who are we to say he is picking the wrong players?

:lol:

Could one of the armchair fans tell me what Barry Bannon actually did well onThursday ?

Watching on in the ground he didn't seem to pass , tackle or head the ball ,nor was he a threat going forward. But I am willing to accept that it may have looked different on the telly .

I really think McGinn or McGregor would Ā do a much better job.Ā 

I also hope that Strachan remembers the lesson ofĀ the Malta game where he started with the same team as Lithuania and the team seemed to run out of gas in the second half . Two or three changes to freshen up the team are required..

1 hour ago, Bino's said:

Forrest will play, as Tierney will play right back but won't overlap

Ā 

there's no other choice in the squad

For all his faults, Steven Whittaker is a natural right full back and is in the squad. Bombs are at times but experience could be useful.Ā 

8 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Could one of the armchair fans tell me what Barry Bannon actually did well onThursday ?

Watching on in the ground he didn't seem to pass , tackle or head the ball ,nor was he a threat going forward. But I am willing to accept that it may have looked different on the telly .

I really think McGinn or McGregor would Ā do a much better job.Ā 

I also hope that Strachan remembers the lesson ofĀ the Malta game where he started with the same team as Lithuania and the team seemed to run out of gas in the second half . Two or three changes to freshen up the team are required..

I was at the game and thought he did OK. Was hardly fantastic but solid enough. If it was up to me,Ā McGinn or McGregor should start tomorrow though as I think weā€™ll need more than an average Bannan to unlock Sloveniaā€™s defence. Strachan will decide though and if we get the win then heā€™ll have made the right choice.

Phillips was the weak link in midfield for me. He was as slow as a week in Low Moss.Ā 

I have a feeling Strachan will drop Phillips but Iā€™m not sure who heā€™ll replace him with if he does.Ā 

Cheers Pete, not sure that "solid " and Bannon go together.

Have to agree with you on Philips, he had a good half hour in Lithuania, although he did miss an open goal when clean through .Since then he has done nothing. Always seems to be taking the ball on his wrong foot.

Morrison also looked like he was running on empty in the second half, is he not just back from injury?

12 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Have to agree with you on Philips, he had a good half hour in Lithuania, although he did miss an open goal when clean through .Since then he has done nothing. Always seems to be taking the ball on his wrong foot.

Morrison also looked like he was running on empty in the second half, is he not just back from injury?

in first half bannan was lost and seemed to be hiding

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

in second half he seemed to have gained confidence and Slovakian tired he was getting a little more space dropping back and was beginning to dictate play with his range of passing

5 minutes ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Solid is maybe the wrong word. Steady any better?

He didnā€™t set the heather alight but didnā€™t make a lot of mistakes either. I donā€™t think heā€™s the type of player we need for tomorrow though.Ā 

I think Morrison missed a couple of West Brom games in August with a knee injury but heā€™s been back for a while I think.Ā 

Iā€™m sure Morrison will be fine for tomorrow. I think we all remember how sluggish we were against Malta though and I think 2-3 changes will definitely help so maybe Morrison will miss out if Strachan feels heā€™s tired.

Weā€™ll find out about 4 oā€™clock tomorrow whoā€™s in the team. To be honest Iā€™m just happy to still be in it with a game to go and that itā€™s in our own hands (2nd place is anyway). Itā€™s been a whileĀ 

8 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Solid is maybe the wrong word. Steady any better?

He didnā€™t set the heather alight but didnā€™t make a lot of mistakes either. I donā€™t think heā€™s the type of player we need for tomorrow though.Ā 

I think Morrison missed a couple of West Brom games in August with a knee injury but heā€™s been back for a while I think.Ā 

Iā€™m sure Morrison will be fine for tomorrow. I think we all remember how sluggish we were against Malta though and I think 2-3 changes will definitely help so maybe Morrison will miss out if Strachan feels heā€™s tired.

Weā€™ll find out about 4 oā€™clock tomorrow whoā€™s in the team. To be honest Iā€™m just happy to still be in it with a game to go and that itā€™s in our own hands (2nd place is anyway). Itā€™s been a whileĀ 

we may well need to freshen but other than McArthur the midfield replacements have never played a big game or never played at all

Ā 

so can't see him starting them