Further Devolved Powers - Issues Already! - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Further Devolved Powers - Issues Already!

Todays Times Headline only one day after the vote.
... powers for Scotland blocked

My prediction :

1) David Cameron will try to offer new powers to Scotland in exchange for Scottish MPs having less Westminster influence ? Labour will try to block them as it will reduce their parties influence ?

2) Scotland will also get some tax raising powers - however Cameron will justify it to his back-benchers by using it as a reason to abolish Barnett formula thus potentially reducing spending in Scotland ?

Call me a cynic ;)
But the devo-max fag packet plan was always questionable.

Bx7MeehIgAAx8bW.jpg

Broon is a Labour man first and foremost and anything else is secondary to him. His passion for the union is simple. With an Independent Scotland Labour would never return to power in Westminster without the many Scottish seats. That is his real passion folks.

Also why was Cameron keen to distance himself from the debate? Well secretly I hazard a guess he doesn't give a toss since the Tory party is virtually extinct in Scotland so with us Independent a Tory government is virtually assured.

If the promised changes are blocked it gives the SNP an opportunity to call for another referendum quickly as the No vote was made on false pretences.

What were these powers as all we saw was on the front of a dailly rag... and from the mouth of a failed prime minister...

Not my view but that is what will be said.... the phrase "sold a pig in a poke" comes to mind.

I think the no voters who voted believing promises made by Westminster are in for a nasty shock.

I don't think many people were swayed by Broon's back of a fag packet idea, to be honest. I do think that a few No voters will one day live to regret their decision, however.

I don't think many people were swayed by Broon's back of a fag packet idea, to be honest. I do think that a few No voters will one day live to regret their decision, however.

Brown's timetable energised the No campaign, gave a new sense of purpose and conviction

I've seen several voters interviewed on TV saying they voted no because the more powers would be enough for them without the risk of independence

Tre it may be a small proporttion but what it if was 5%? 10%?

Brown's timetable energised the No campaign, gave a new sense of purpose and conviction

I've seen several voters interviewed on TV saying they voted no because the more powers would be enough for them without the risk of independence

Tre it may be a small proporttion but what it if was 5%? 10%?

Only needed to be 1 out of every 20 voters that switched...

Agreed. If we had lost 51-49 we could probably blame "the vow", but the margin of defeat suggests Scotland would have voted No even if the last minute offer hadn't been on the table.

The Vow helped give the No side momentum and legitimacy in the last week.

Some say Brown made a pivotal speech in the last day, which would have not carried such (apparent) conviction and authority, if this was not The Man with the Timetable, who triggered The Vow.

My hatred of that man is on a par with my hatred of Thatcher and stretches back to well before this referendum. There are very few people in this world that I genuinely hate.

The way the lying two faced piece of scum used to play on his "honesty, integrity and trustworthiness" as well as the fact has father was a minister was sickening. We all knew he was a disgusting snake who would sell his granny for anything his Westminster chums might chuck his way.

His father would be completely ashamed of him.

One day he will rot in hell.