Squad to play England - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Squad to play England

andyD

Scotland will never qualify for a major tournament until we can get two decent solid centre halfs. You need to have a solid spine to any team to even have a half a chance but as we all know, we just aren't good enough (especially in that position).

If you look at Wales they are a prime example; Williams centre back, Ramsey (even Joe Allen) and then Bale upfront. They 3/4 players right through the middle of the team with 7/8 average players around them who can do a job and they get to the semi finals of the Euros. Scotland are literally like Wales without the 4 good players.. Bang average.

I have no connection to Rangers/Celtic before I get abuse for this but James Forrest should be nowhere near the squad (along with half the others tbh) I'm only pointing him out because he keeps getting game time for Scotland and Celtic and I've watched alot of games this season and he literally does nothing. 

If I was to pick a team for the England game with the players available it would be;

Marshall

Paterson         Martin         Hanley       Kingsley

McArthur   Fletcher   Brown

Ritchie                                                   Burke

Griffiths

Hanley is rotten but so is Berra, Griffiths is half decent but nothing special, we still need a striker. Also assumed Snoddy wont be fit enough to start. Anya won't start as he always plays with Physical players for set pieces plus we have an out ball in Burke and Griffiths(not that we will start cause it will be Fletcher..)

Edited by calmc92

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, calmc92 said:

James Forrest should be nowhere near the squad (along with half the others tbh) I'm only pointing him out because he keeps getting game time for Scotland and Celtic and I've watched alot of games this season and he literally does nothing. 

If I was to pick a team for the England game with the players available it would be

I've said this before Forrest,  Bannan and C.Martin are Strachan favourites and in his "Yes man" club.

14 minutes ago, calmc92 said:

If I was to pick a team for the England game with the players available it would be;

Marshall

Paterson         Martin         Hanley       Kingsley

McArthur   Fletcher   Brown

Ritchie                                                   Burke

Griffiths

Hanley is rotten and not playing football for his club. He looked like he lacked sharpness in the recent games and that makes sense. He'll make more errors than he would normally because he's not playing. Berra is playing every week, so why we would go with Hanley ahead of Berra is beyond me.

Darren Fletcher at the heart of midfield? If you want a reason why our defense looks poor, Fletcher is one of those reasons. He's put in so little effort in the recent games that it's sometimes easy to think he's not even playing. He's offering no protection for the back 4 and nothing going forwards either. When we're in possession he'll roll a few 10 yard passes square to the fullback and that's the sum total of his recent contributions.

Ritchie is one of the slowest wingers on the planet. Playing him inverted can work if you have a lot of possession as he and the overlapping fullback can create angles which are harder for the defenders to deal with. However, we're not going to have that possession, we're not going to be pinning England back for long periods and overloading our fullbacks. So Ritchie will kill moves with his lack of pace and his need to turn back in onto his left foot. He's the wrong player for this game, especially on the right.

McArthur seems to have been moved out defensive midfield for his club. His passing is abysmal and his control is poor, meaning he gives the ball away constantly. He's short, not particularly physical so can't out battle the like of Henderson or Alli, so I have no idea what he will offer that's worth a spot in the team. I suppose he might luck a goal..

Setting up with 3 defensive minded midfielders is the worst thing we can do. We'll never get out and it'll be 90 minutes of us on the back foot trying desperately not to concede while Griffiths and Burke each struggle to retain possession when surrounded by 3 England players, resulting in them being called rubbish on here after the game. If we play with just 2 players with any pace then they'll be easily isolated and we'll lose badly. We need the threat of pace in the side in order to stop England from overloading on us, pushing both fullback on and leaving the centerbacks and 1 defensive mid to deal with Griffiths or Burke.

We either need 4 fast players who can break out at pace, together, and the threat of them will keep England from overloading, or we need 3 and a ball player in the middle and the only one of those in the squad right now is Bannan.

15 minutes ago, AustroSchotte said:

Haha ! It does to me anyway...I'm not the only one to notice the Forrest inability...If he does get a super sub chance then I hope he can score this time ! 

Yep, he missed a shot against Slovakia.. as did a dozen others. String him up.

He's playing well.. there's not really any debate over that..His smart run and first time cross gave Celtic the lead against Man City in the Champions League, and domestically he's scored 5 and assisted 4 in 13 games.

He's got enough pace to cause problems against England, unlike someone like Ritchie, and the only real alternative with pace is Matt Phillips who seems to be playing very averagely in a struggling West Brom side and was utterly terrible the last time he put on the dark blue.

It's easy to just got "aww he's one of Strachan's boys" but there's plenty of evidence that he's there on merit. If you can give any reasons why he shouldnt be included other than "he missed a shot against Solvakia" and "he was rubbish 2 years ago" then that's be great. Offering a deserving alternative who can bring the same attributes would be astonishing. Like I said.. it's easier to just say he's an "undroppable".

21 minutes ago, andyD said:

Hanley is rotten and not playing football for his club. He looked like he lacked sharpness in the recent games and that makes sense. He'll make more errors than he would normally because he's not playing. Berra is playing every week, so why we would go with Hanley ahead of Berra is beyond me.

Darren Fletcher at the heart of midfield? If you want a reason why our defense looks poor, Fletcher is one of those reasons. He's put in so little effort in the recent games that it's sometimes easy to think he's not even playing. He's offering no protection for the back 4 and nothing going forwards either. When we're in possession he'll roll a few 10 yard passes square to the fullback and that's the sum total of his recent contributions.

Ritchie is one of the slowest wingers on the planet. Playing him inverted can work if you have a lot of possession as he and the overlapping fullback can create angles which are harder for the defenders to deal with. However, we're not going to have that possession, we're not going to be pinning England back for long periods and overloading our fullbacks. So Ritchie will kill moves with his lack of pace and his need to turn back in onto his left foot. He's the wrong player for this game, especially on the right.

McArthur seems to have been moved out defensive midfield for his club. His passing is abysmal and his control is poor, meaning he gives the ball away constantly. He's short, not particularly physical so can't out battle the like of Henderson or Alli, so I have no idea what he will offer that's worth a spot in the team. I suppose he might luck a goal..

Setting up with 3 defensive minded midfielders is the worst thing we can do. We'll never get out and it'll be 90 minutes of us on the back foot trying desperately not to concede while Griffiths and Burke each struggle to retain possession when surrounded by 3 England players, resulting in them being called rubbish on here after the game. If we play with just 2 players with any pace then they'll be easily isolated and we'll lose badly. We need the threat of pace in the side in order to stop England from overloading on us, pushing both fullback on and leaving the centerbacks and 1 defensive mid to deal with Griffiths or Burke.

We either need 4 fast players who can break out at pace, together, and the threat of them will keep England from overloading, or we need 3 and a ball player in the middle and the only one of those in the squad right now is Bannan.

Some great points ??

2 minutes ago, andyD said:

Hanley/Berra is a flip of the coin, they are both rotten. I do agree Berra should be a bit sharper in terms of games but I Strachan seems to prefer Hanley that's why I think he will play.

Fletcher's experience in a game like this is vital, he can keep the ball, dropping a little deeper to take it off the centre halfs and playing it to the full backs like you said(which isn't a negative if it's done sharply, it is if he takes 3/4 touches first) and he does it play it forward when it's on. We aren't a great team, we need to keep the ball when we have it and Fletcher can do that. He is a leader/talker and will be solid in a game like this.

Ritchie's game isn't to bomb down the wing, I know that. This isn't Fifa, there's more to it than pace, especially when we aren't a great counter attacking team. Paterson will offer the outball down that side and Ritchie will either get the ball to feet outwide and cut inside or he will drift inside to get the ball. You're saying Ritchie will kill moves with his lack of pace but if we want a result we are only going to get a result is by putting our foot on the ball and using/keeping it when we have it.

Think you're being a bit harsh on McArthur are you not, his passing/control is not abysmal? He works hard, gets stuck in and can always find a bit of space for a goal. He has been great for Palace over the last 4-5 weeks or so.

It isn't 3 defensive midfielders as such, it's just 3 playing in the middle of the park. Fletcher playing more defensive minded though. We won't be constantly on the backfoot, they will have the majority of the ball but with the 3 centre mids I mentioned we are good enough to keep the ball when we have it, it just depends if we can actually create something when we get near the final third. It won't be as desperate of counter attacking as you're making out.

Again, it's a flip of a coin with Bannan/McArthur but McArthur offers the dig that Bannan doesn't but then again, Bannan always wants the ball and always tends to find a pass and finds space.

It will be similar to when they beat us 3-2 in the friendly.

To say Fletcher put in little effort in recent games is very harsh. The guys engine and legs have gone - can't believe anyone would criticise his attitude.

Undecided about playing him. Ironically, I'd probably have him in for the big games, but drop him for the rest. Defensively, he's been very suspect so it's a big call to play him. Brown has taken a lot of flak over the last year or two but I think we've missed him in the last couple of games - midfield was the worst it's been in years IMO. Im glad he's back in. Would probably partner him with McArthur rather than Fletcher if I was forced to choose.

Absolutely pointless playing Chris Martin up front so it's Griffiths for me. Ritchie Snodgrass and Burke would probably make up my attacking midfielders although Im not hugely convinced this is a great game for Burke to play in - still a bit raw for a game where, if we arent careful, we could get a pumping in.

Centre halves? F*** knows.

Edited by Auld_Reekie

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Yep, he missed a shot against Slovakia.. as did a dozen others. String him up.

He's playing well.. there's not really any debate over that..His smart run and first time cross gave Celtic the lead against Man City in the Champions League, and domestically he's scored 5 and assisted 4 in 13 games.

He's got enough pace to cause problems against England, unlike someone like Ritchie, and the only real alternative with pace is Matt Phillips who seems to be playing very averagely in a struggling West Brom side and was utterly terrible the last time he put on the dark blue.

It's easy to just got "aww he's one of Strachan's boys" but there's plenty of evidence that he's there on merit. If you can give any reasons why he shouldnt be included other than "he missed a shot against Solvakia" and "he was rubbish 2 years ago" then that's be great. Offering a deserving alternative who can bring the same attributes would be astonishing. Like I said.. it's easier to just say he's an "undroppable".

I think it was Lithuania he missed a shot....i've seen enough of Forrest and throughout his career he has got tremendous pace and he's good at taking on a defender maybe winning free kicks. but really what else has he got, he can't tackle, he can shoot sometimes, but above all else he's been rubbish the last few matches fades in and out of games and is not consistent enough. For Celtic maybe his best output this season underRodgers for Scotland no. 

Unfortunately he is not world class he missed that step up that he was supposed to do years ago. Maybe Burke is the player that I wanted Forrest to become.

1 hour ago, calmc92 said:

*some interesting points*

I agree that Hanley will play. It's just beyond me why he will. We've seen his below par (for him) performances in the recent games and they seem to be attributable to him not playing for his club. He's still not playing for his club, so it seems crazy for Strachan to expect anything other than more of the same.

I think we've been watching different Darren Fletchers. 5 years ago he did the sort of thing you've described. I've seen none of that player this year. I don't want to link the video of Slovakia's second goal again, but for me its representative of where Fletcher is now. He watches the play go by him, doesn't anticipate anything, doesn't move to reduce danger and then explains "oh what could we have done" when he could have just tracked back. It's infuriating partly because it's a fundamental lack of workrate (at 1-0 when we still had a chance to get back in) and partly because he used to be a decent player. For me he's become a liability, which is a massive shame.

Ritchie.. you think we're going to break down England, play thru them and find success that way? I'll say you've got a lot more faith in the squad than I do! We only had 3 shots on target despite 60% possession against Lithuania, I can't see us slicing thru England with greater ease. I'll be surprised if England don't have the bulk of the possession, so it's likely our chances will be largely on the break. In those situations pace is our best weapon. Strachan's often talked about wanting players who are willing and able to take players on, so scare them and make something happen. We do have those type of players available in Burke, Anya and Forrest (now he's back in form), so using them for what they're good at seems like an obvious choice. The key part tho is to break in numbers so that the ball carrier can't be easily isolated. That's why I think we need to pack the forward minded midfield positions with pace, so as to give ourselves that support in the moments when we attack, before England can organise and set up their defensive stall. Sure, there's a risk we turn over possession really quickly, but I just don't see us finding much joy once they're all behind the ball.

McArthur.. I'm not sure I am. We can take Saturday's game against Liverpool as an example. He got 2 goals, so people might be forgiven for thinking he played well. I'll say the header for the 2nd was great, he's spotted a chance and gone and taken it. The first was utter fluke, put on a plate by Lovren. But looking at what else went on in the game.. McArthur's pass completion was 72%. Looking at his likely opposite number on the day and for the England match: Henderson was on 85%. McArthur's not alone tho.. Darren Fletcher's pass completion for the season is 74%, pretty terrible. Meanwhile Kevin McDonald, who should be in there along side Brown imo, has a season average of 88%. Sure, football isn't all a numbers game, but to me the amount that our midfield gives the ball away is way too high if we hope to be successful. It's fine giving it away on the wing in the opposition half because a cross-field ball was over hit or taking on a fullback didn't come off, but for the key men in the center of the park are failing 25% of their passes.. well.. we're not even giving ourselves a chance at that point.

I'm fine with 3 in the middle, but I do think we'd need some balance. 2 with good defensive attributes and one able to create. I dont see creativity among Brown, McArthur and Fletcher. McGinn and Bannan are more likely culprits when it comes to making a decent pass that sets someone away.

Cheers for the discussion btw, it's good to have a chat about how it might go without anyone thinking it's an insult to disagree. :)

3 hours ago, andyD said:

Coincidentally Berra has scored 3 times as many goals for Scotland than Forrest...I rest my case.

4 hours ago, calmc92 said:

Scotland will never qualify for a major tournament until we can get two decent solid centre halfs. You need to have a solid spine to any team to even have a half a chance but as we all know, we just aren't good enough (especially in that position).

Agreed you need a solid spine but I think we have the players but we dinny have a defensive coach in the scotland set up to sort the spine out......you look at the some of teams that qualified for the Euros you trying to say they all had better players than us??    It's about management, formation. understanding and getting the best from players, free kick arrangements, systems is it zonal or man marking?, its making sure the spine works that means defenders knowing what foot the goalie kicks with, where the midfield is positioned etc etc.........Don;t just blame our two centre halfs that is just daft....we had three friendlies berra never played one or wallace or anybody else in defence apart from same old same old......your view is simplistic and daft.  As for your line up  why griffiths when injured and not been playing,  why Kingsley when not tried at this level, why Richie out of position. why fletcher when carrying an injury

13 hours ago, bigfathagiz said:

Agreed you need a solid spine but I think we have the players but we dinny have a defensive coach in the scotland set up to sort the spine out......you look at the some of teams that qualified for the Euros you trying to say they all had better players than us??    It's about management, formation. understanding and getting the best from players, free kick arrangements, systems is it zonal or man marking?, its making sure the spine works that means defenders knowing what foot the goalie kicks with, where the midfield is positioned etc etc.........Don;t just blame our two centre halfs that is just daft....we had three friendlies berra never played one or wallace or anybody else in defence apart from same old same old......your view is simplistic and daft.  As for your line up  why griffiths when injured and not been playing,  why Kingsley when not tried at this level, why Richie out of position. why fletcher when carrying an injury

I agree, there is more to it than me just blaming the centre halfs but when you have 2 solid centre halfs you can get away having average players around you. I've experienced it and witnessed it.

We should be qualifying compared to some of the teams, i agree. Formation, tactics play a huge part aswell, i'm only saying you need the players aswell.

Berra and Wallace.. they aren't good enough that's why they weren't getting game time. I think Wallace is a little unlucky that we have Robertson and Tierney because he can be ok.

Griffiths has an illness, should be OK next week even though I think S. Fletcher will start. Kingsley has been playing at a high level for Swansea, even though he has been in and out of the team, I suppose Wallace could play but I think Kingsley will start. Ritchie plays on the right hand side of midfield, that's his position. I didn't know Fletcher was carrying an injury.

11 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Burke absolutely has to play. He will be able to really use his pace on a big pitch like Wembley. He might completely flop but I don't see us getting any sort of result with the one paced approach we had in Slovakia. A flick on and Burke shrugging off defenders to shoot is one of our very few for this game.

You sir - Are correct!

He has no fear at all so let him run about. 

16 hours ago, andyD said:

I agree that Hanley will play. It's just beyond me why he will. We've seen his below par (for him) performances in the recent games and they seem to be attributable to him not playing for his club. He's still not playing for his club, so it seems crazy for Strachan to expect anything other than more of the same.

I think we've been watching different Darren Fletchers. 5 years ago he did the sort of thing you've described. I've seen none of that player this year. I don't want to link the video of Slovakia's second goal again, but for me its representative of where Fletcher is now. He watches the play go by him, doesn't anticipate anything, doesn't move to reduce danger and then explains "oh what could we have done" when he could have just tracked back. It's infuriating partly because it's a fundamental lack of workrate (at 1-0 when we still had a chance to get back in) and partly because he used to be a decent player. For me he's become a liability, which is a massive shame.

Ritchie.. you think we're going to break down England, play thru them and find success that way? I'll say you've got a lot more faith in the squad than I do! We only had 3 shots on target despite 60% possession against Lithuania, I can't see us slicing thru England with greater ease. I'll be surprised if England don't have the bulk of the possession, so it's likely our chances will be largely on the break. In those situations pace is our best weapon. Strachan's often talked about wanting players who are willing and able to take players on, so scare them and make something happen. We do have those type of players available in Burke, Anya and Forrest (now he's back in form), so using them for what they're good at seems like an obvious choice. The key part tho is to break in numbers so that the ball carrier can't be easily isolated. That's why I think we need to pack the forward minded midfield positions with pace, so as to give ourselves that support in the moments when we attack, before England can organise and set up their defensive stall. Sure, there's a risk we turn over possession really quickly, but I just don't see us finding much joy once they're all behind the ball.

McArthur.. I'm not sure I am. We can take Saturday's game against Liverpool as an example. He got 2 goals, so people might be forgiven for thinking he played well. I'll say the header for the 2nd was great, he's spotted a chance and gone and taken it. The first was utter fluke, put on a plate by Lovren. But looking at what else went on in the game.. McArthur's pass completion was 72%. Looking at his likely opposite number on the day and for the England match: Henderson was on 85%. McArthur's not alone tho.. Darren Fletcher's pass completion for the season is 74%, pretty terrible. Meanwhile Kevin McDonald, who should be in there along side Brown imo, has a season average of 88%. Sure, football isn't all a numbers game, but to me the amount that our midfield gives the ball away is way too high if we hope to be successful. It's fine giving it away on the wing in the opposition half because a cross-field ball was over hit or taking on a fullback didn't come off, but for the key men in the center of the park are failing 25% of their passes.. well.. we're not even giving ourselves a chance at that point.

I'm fine with 3 in the middle, but I do think we'd need some balance. 2 with good defensive attributes and one able to create. I dont see creativity among Brown, McArthur and Fletcher. McGinn and Bannan are more likely culprits when it comes to making a decent pass that sets someone away.

Cheers for the discussion btw, it's good to have a chat about how it might go without anyone thinking it's an insult to disagree. :)

I would only play Fletcher in the middle 3, not a 2, would rather have brown who is a bit more mobile with someone else. I think he can just sit in a 3, never really go beyond the tip of the D over halfway, take the ball off the centre halfs, keep possession, provide cover, sit on the no10 and stop the space between the defence/midfield, with his experience and leadership I think that job is nailed down for him in a game like this.

I don't think we will break England down, i'm just saying we aren't good enough to sit 11 men behind the ball and hope to just counter attack, it's one thing having pace to counter but you need quality aswell. England have very good players all round and have lots of pace all over the pitch. We need to try counter when it's on, that's obvious but I think the majority of the time we will try keep the ball and try create something through playing football. If we keep giving up possession they will eventually score and when we come out they will score again and cause it's us, probably again. Ask anyone about playing against a better team and it's you need to keep the ball when you get it because if you don't then you are going to be chasing the ball about for large amounts of the game. Regardless of who you are, fatigue plays a part eventually. We need to find a balance but it's so much easier said on this than actually doing it, England are a step up in quality so it will be hard.

It's alright stating numbers etc. but there's a gulf in class between Bannan, McGinn, McDonald and McArthur, Brown, Fletcher, Ritchie, Snodgrass and you need your best players out on the park. Bannan could easily come in for McArthur though as he is more creative but I think Strachan will go safe. McGinn's time will come, maybe this is too soon for him? I don't mean too be harsh cause he is a really good young player but he will be a regular soon. McDonald is not bad I suppose, very good player at his level but we have better players available.

People tend to get offended if you don't have the same opinion as them, every person in football has a different view though.

my alternative team to play England not one of them in the current squad.

I canny see how Steven Fletcher, McGinn, Bannan, Morrison or Darren Fletcher are better than the players in similiar position below.....

Bain

Bardsley   Reynolds Wilson Shinnie

Maloney Adam George Boyd Dorrans

Mcormack Rhodes

subs....Gilks, Hutton, Barry McKay Arfield, whittekar mulgrew matt phillips Jonny Russel

Strachan needs to try different players because what we have aint working.

Phillips at West Brom, Arfield and Boyd Burnley, Adam and Bardsley at Stoke Rhodes at Middleburgh ALL at premiership clubs.

3 hours ago, bigfathagiz said:

my alternative team to play England not one of them in the current squad.

I canny see how Steven Fletcher, McGinn, Bannan, Morrison or Darren Fletcher are better than the players in similiar position below.....

Bain

Bardsley   Reynolds Wilson Shinnie

Maloney Adam George Boyd Dorrans

Mcormack Rhodes

subs....Gilks, Hutton, Barry McKay Arfield, whittekar mulgrew matt phillips Jonny Russel

Strachan needs to try different players because what we have aint working.

Phillips at West Brom, Arfield and Boyd Burnley, Adam and Bardsley at Stoke Rhodes at Middleburgh ALL at premiership clubs.

Arfield has been playing for Canada for a year