Media turning on Strachan? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Media turning on Strachan?

Squirrelhumper

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueGaz

Agree with most of that.  I think we have all been quite patient with him to be fair, but, he is now deserving of the criticism coming his way.  I have noticed his "quips" as they call it coming back into his interviews.  He had come a long way since being at Celtic in terms of the way he was with the media.  I assumed it was training, or maybe a bit less pressure, but either way he was better.  I don't think its a coincidence that this is now coming back to him at the same time the criticism of most of what he does is gathering pace.

Bit of a joke article imo.

1) I don't care what Strachan 'quips' about in interviews. It makes zero difference to whether we qualify or not. If he picks rubbish squads, or crazy starting 11s or qualification is out of sight in 3 games time, then those are reasons to complain. "Journo's" complaining about WGS being mean to them in interviews could not matter less.

2) Seems the most obvious thing in the world. In terms of form he's a mile behind Fletcher and Griffiths. But he didnt have much to work with and didnt have his customary glaring miss against Lithuania tho. Hopefully he doesn't start on tuesday, but he has put a shift in for the cause and did battle best he could against 2 big centerbacks, making space for others, especially the Paterson header.

3) "Play 2 strikers".. away from home against the 2nd pot team? Aye, genius idea. The guy suggests playing Naismith and Fletcher. C'mon.. really? Fraser Wilson, you're a Clown.

4) "The pressure might be holding Burke back, so drop him altogether." Or.. give him a free role behind the striker and put Snoddy back out wide to see if that suits them better. He looked dangerous in the last game, dropping him would be bizarre.

5) "Win the game" .. Go home, Fraser. There's no point being a "journo" if you're insight amounts to stating that winning games will help us qualify.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

1) I don't care what Strachan 'quips' about in interviews. It makes zero difference to whether we qualify or not. If he picks rubbish squads, or crazy starting 11s or qualification is out of sight in 3 games time, then those are reasons to complain. "Journo's" complaining about WGS being mean to them in interviews could not matter less.

2) Seems the most obvious thing in the world. In terms of form he's a mile behind Fletcher and Griffiths. But he didnt have much to work with and didnt have his customary glaring miss against Lithuania tho. Hopefully he doesn't start on tuesday, but he has put a shift in for the cause and did battle best he could against 2 big centerbacks, making space for others, especially the Paterson header.

3) "Play 2 strikers".. away from home against the 2nd pot team? Aye, genius idea. The guy suggests playing Naismith and Fletcher. C'mon.. really? Fraser Wilson, you're a Clown.

4) "The pressure might be holding Burke back, so drop him altogether." Or.. give him a free role behind the striker and put Snoddy back out wide to see if that suits them better. He looked dangerous in the last game, dropping him would be bizarre.

5) "Win the game" .. Go home, Fraser. There's no point being a "journo" if you're insight amounts to stating that winning games will help us qualify.

I'd say you're a clown to be honest. Certainly looking for excuses for Strachan. In fact he could have written that post himself. 

10 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/drop-chris-martin-quit-silly-9014598 

Good article (don't agree with playing Tierney in midfield though) but spot on about Strachan.

Isn't he suggesting Tierney coming in at LB with Robertson pushing further on? Or am I reading that wrong? 

9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Chick Young who just kept on repeating he knows Strachan well.

:lol: He repeated that about 3 times in 2 minutes. I actually burst out laughing at him. 

Just now, Parklife said:

Wait until Pressley comes on....

he's on now............................of dear, Kenny Mac asks Pressley if he would play Chris Martin............Pressley returns with "why do you ask the question?"

I could see him touted as a Strachan replacement if/when Strachan goes.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37614196

Sutton ^^

Strachan gets on my nerves with his smart arse quips - its just pantomine - I squirm, its just so arrogant and makes me uncomfortable - he is no charmer, but the guy can't help himself. 

He got it wrong but I disagree with Sutton - I think he had a gameplan, but it was for a modest win. Not enough firepower, and maybe had his eye on Slovakia. 

Slovakia has to be all guns blazing, I don't really care about his persona, as long as he can get the best out of the guys. 3 points - and then lets see what we can do with England.

Its a sair fecht.

8 hours ago, jaggycolin said:

Ridiculous article, journalist most certainly an idiot. Agree with much of andyD. By posting it squirrel shagger has an agenda.

After SaturdayI'm not keen to defend Strachan but this article is mince. 

By posting it i have an agenda? What would that be? To see Scotland be the best they possibly can and not accept the bullsh1t that Strachan continually spouts? Ayr ok, i've an agenda.

If you are happy to accept Strachan's continued stubborn tactics, selections and petty comments when questioned on it then more fool you.

Probably the same kind of clown that wanted to give Avril another campaign.

31 minutes ago, HUNTINGMcGREGOR said:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37614196

Sutton ^^

Strachan gets on my nerves with his smart arse quips - its just pantomine - I squirm, its just so arrogant and makes me uncomfortable - he is no charmer, but the guy can't help himself. 

He got it wrong but I disagree with Sutton - I think he had a gameplan, but it was for a modest win. Not enough firepower, and maybe had his eye on Slovakia. 

Slovakia has to be all guns blazing, I don't really care about his persona, as long as he can get the best out of the guys. 3 points - and then lets see what we can do with England.

Its a sair fecht.

There is absolutely no chance Strachan will set up to go all guns blazing. He'll be happy with a point.

28 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

By posting it i have an agenda? What would that be? To see Scotland be the best they possibly can and not accept the bullsh1t that Strachan continually spouts? Ayr ok, i've an agenda.

If you are happy to accept Strachan's continued stubborn tactics, selections and petty comments when questioned on it then more fool you.

Probably the same kind of clown that wanted to give Avril another campaign.

Agree 100% with this (& I also agree with Chris Sutton :shocked:)

16 hours ago, andyD said:

Agree with all of this.

Sutton makes some more interesting points:

"He has been rude, he's been cantankerous and I just feel he doesn't want to be there any more and he is showing that in every interview," Sutton said of Strachan on BBC 5 live.

"That's his body language and I think he wants out.

Or maybe he's just fed up answering the same daft questions over and over ("is this a must win game Gordon?" before every game)

"He said that Scotland were a nation of scared footballers and I think of the impact that would have had on the players at that time - they would have been totally disgruntled by that.

Possibly.

"I think he's losing credibility with the fans. I don't agree that a lot of fans are still on his side.

Judging by some of the posts on here, he might be right about this.

"Here's the biggest problem - that Gordon Strachan the other night played Chris Martin, a centre forward who hasn't scored in 20 club games," he said.

Nail-on-head.

To be honest, the only time i think of Sutton these day's is "really? he said that? that's ridiculous." What was the last salient point Chris Sutton made on any subject? He's one of those who just spouts off silliness in the hopes of getting a headline.

Strachan's always had his own way of dealing with the media and hasn't suffered silly questions lightly. That's not new. So to try and paint it as him wanting out the job is just stupid. He's also the guy who walked away from Middlesborough because things weren't going well.. tearing up his contract in the process. If he wanted out of Scotland he'd already be out. He's already shown he's not a guy who hangs around waiting to get fired so he can pick up a pay out. Some might not like him, and he might rub some the wrong way, but no one can say he's not an honest and principled guy. When he wants to leave, we'll know and he'll be gone. Sutton's a fool.

Edited by andyD

33 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

The biggest problem is that Strachan played Chris Martin?

I was under the illusion that Scotland hadn't produced a world class player in almost thirty years. 

Northern Ireland haven't in about 40 and they've qualified for two world cups and a Euros in that time... 

19 minutes ago, ProudScot said:

Northern Ireland haven't in about 40 and they've qualified for two world cups and a Euros in that time... 

The example you've chosen is a side who haven't qualified for a World Cup since 1986- this was before the breakup of Eastern Europe.

They haven't really come close to World Cup qualification since then. 

We must be the unluckiest nation in the world. Six poor managerial appointments in eighteen years preventing an able squad of players fulfilling their destiny. 

24 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/oct/12/gordon-strachan-owes-scotland-step-down

At least someone gets it in the medai

Jim white thinks Strachan is doing a good job

Decent read. If Ewan Murray wasn't so obsessed with talking about attendances on Twitter, i'd think he was pretty intelligent.