The 45 - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Any of you guys involved in the 45 Facebook page? It's really gathering steam and has given me a real boost to see so many getting involved. I think many people, like me, were rather passive in the run up to the vote, sharing FB posts, working on our circle of friends etc but not much more. I really regret not getting more involved and the 45 movement looks like it'll offer the opportunity to make amends.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've woken up this morning - still devastated by the return of no, but even more determined to see Independent Scotland in our lifetimes. There can be no better time to move forward when the winning voters are complacent in their win and we are still obviously desiring change. I posted to my Facebook page this morning that no won this time - YES only has to win once. It would be an incredible waste of the effort that so many people put in to walk away now. I did as much as I was able and I'm ready and willing to do more. I don't believe for a minute we are finished - it won't be finished until we win.

Do you know what. We are like the Scots under Wallace. Put up a good fight but the unionists rolled out the heavy armour of big business and international diplomatic opinion along with control of the broadcast media.

So now we need our Bruce, who unlike Wallace was from the ruling class - we need control of the media, we need to get working on the EU members, we need lots of pro indy MPs in Westminster and we need the support of some large international businesses.

Do you know what. We are like the Scots under Wallace. Put up a good fight but the unionists rolled out the heavy armour of big business and international diplomatic opinion along with control of the broadcast media.

So now we need our Bruce, who unlike Wallace was from the ruling class - we need control of the media, we need to get working on the EU members, we need lots of pro indy MPs in Westminster and we need the support of some large international businesses.

Nail on head

100% Armchair, and next time we should be less fixated by bargaining chips. A feasibility study on set up of Scottish pound pegged to Sterling for a start would be good. Business leaders of significant size def need woo-ed, but media is key. Stronger female role models advocating indy, Nicola as FM if she gets the gig will help but we need plenty more - women are the key.

Stronger relations with Nordic countries stopping short of joining, or maybe just associate membership. Some form of sporting bond perhaps.

If we assume that at some point in the next 20 years or so that there will be another referendum (and I can't see how there won't be) then we need to move thousands of those who voted No to the Yes side. To my way of thinking a good starting point in that process might be to stop calling them c***s/traitors/quislings/not Scottish etc.

What is giving me hope, is the reaction of my lassie and all her friends, all in 6th year, all voted Yes. They are raging as they feel cheated by "a bunch of pensioners that might no even be alive in 10 years time" (their words no mine!). What I've been impressed with is the level of engagement they've had in this campaign, and I can this isn't going to go away any time soon.

I could hear a bunch of them in the kitchen last night. A year ago the chat would have all been celebrity gossip and clothes. Last night they were animated about what was happening re extra powers and their disgust with what was going on in Glasgow. They are already talking about not voting for any unionist parties in 2015 and 2016, they badly want this chance again.

While my heart aches that we couldn't give them this change now, I am so proud of them and know we have woken something up in so many of our young Scots that won't go away. :-)

What is giving me hope, is the reaction of my lassie and all her friends, all in 6th year, all voted Yes. They are raging as they feel cheated by "a bunch of pensioners that might no even be alive in 10 years time" (their words no mine!). What I've been impressed with is the level of engagement they've had in this campaign, and I can this isn't going to go away any time soon.

I could hear a bunch of them in the kitchen last night. A year ago the chat would have all been celebrity gossip and clothes. Last night they were animated about what was happening re extra powers and their disgust with what was going on in Glasgow. They are already talking about not voting for any unionist parties in 2015 and 2016, they badly want this chance again.

While my heart aches that we couldn't give them this change now, I am so proud of them and know we have woken something up in so many of our young Scots that won't go away. :-)

Great post and good to hear.

The contempt shown for our youth will come back to bite them in their collective arse. I have met 16 year olds who could present a better reasoned argument than some adults. Time to empower our youngsters. A fresh start. If anything good comes from this it'll be a more politically and socially aware and responsible generation. I had one older guy telling me that 16 year olds were too immature to vote. Ironically he was married young.... nowt as blind.

there seems to be a lot of assumptions made that the youth on mass voted for Yes.

I think that is his post vote poll. I'm sure the overall polling figures I saw somewhere had 16-17 at 71% yes. Let me try dig it out.

Edited to show Ashcrofts table shows 16-17 and 18-24 in one group.

Edited by Mindimoo