Celtic V Rangers - Page 3 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Celtic V Rangers

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Fairbairn said:

Sky employee in talking up product shocker.

this isn't a new thing with Sky, this has gone on since the media started playing a bigger part in football.

PS, its wasn't on sky. Jim White is on talksport now

54 minutes ago, slasher said:

Am tired of the odious build up already and there's still 3 days to go! Personally, I'll be glad when it's all over.

Same here, it's utterly atrocious stuff. I am very confident that Saturdays game will pass without incident just like the last two have, we get three points and then can move on.

14 hours ago, deecie said:

Will the Green Brigade be protesting at the game?

I don't know but somebody should be imo. Collusion between the boards of Celtic and the previous Rangers were a regular occurrence to extract as much money from punters as possible and  the current board seem to be happy to do the same with this new mob as well, it's utterly shameful.

Edited by Mox

21 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

According to Jim White the whole of Scotland comes to a stand still when these two teams met. :lol::lol:

If most of you don't care, then why comment?  First person had to mention Aberdeen. 

Funnily enough, I watched some Sky Sports News last night, and I just found out the Manc Derby is on at the same time.  Be interesting to see the viewing figures for a comparison.

Guest BlueGaz
1 hour ago, vanderark14 said:

those in pubs abroad will be tims and huns sitting in hun or tim bars. Its not the millions they all think it is

I disagree.  Without going into too much detail, how many football fans in lets say, England, will be interested in watching the game on Saturday?  Who maybe wouldn't be interested in watching St J vs Inverness?  I suspect the 'interest' just from one country is a lot more than 500k.  

Guest BlueGaz
6 minutes ago, Debian said:

If most of you don't care, then why comment?  First person had to mention Aberdeen. 

That is very true.  The people who constantly comment they don't care on the TAMB are the same posters that constantly post about Rangers.  Of course they care, they just won't admit it.

Edit:  and Celtic.

Edited by BlueGaz

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

I disagree.  Without going into too much detail, how many football fans in lets say, England, will be interested in watching the game on Saturday?  Who maybe wouldn't be interested in watching St J vs Inverness?  I suspect the 'interest' just from one country is a lot more than 500k.  

I asked you where you get the milions from and you can't show it, because its a myth. 

This has nothing to do with how many would watch St J v ICT. You started this by saying millions watch this fixture, you can;'t back it up.

8 minutes ago, Debian said:

Funnily enough, I watched some Sky Sports News last night, and I just found out the Manc Derby is on at the same time.  Be interesting to see the viewing figures for a comparison.

ah the old, don't comment if you don't care line, very popular among the rangers and celtic support, next you will be telling us we are obsessed 

this isn't about caring or not caring. I am only calling out the shite peddled by OF media and their supporters. "millions watch" " the country comes to a stand still" "greatest derby in the world" all total bull shit. 

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

ah the old, don't comment if you don't care line, very popular among the rangers and celtic support, next you will be telling us we are obsessed 

this isn't about caring or not caring. I am only calling out the shite peddled by OF media and their supporters. "millions watch" " the country comes to a stand still" "greatest derby in the world" all total bull shit. 

That is your issue for reading into the media too much.  The only part of your comments i would agree with is that millions watch.  it is a big game and the biggest export in footballing terms that Scotland has, period.  obviously country coming to a standstill is what you say, total bull shit.  it is also debatable how big a derby it is in world football terms these days.  but its up there.

Guest BlueGaz
9 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I asked you where you get the milions from and you can't show it, because its a myth. 

This has nothing to do with how many would watch St J v ICT. You started this by saying millions watch this fixture, you can;'t back it up.

I accept that - but the same goes back.  You cant show that less than millions watch it.  I am just being realistic and 20 million watching it world wide IMO is a very conservative guess.  Lets agree to disagree on this one, as we cannot settle it !!!!!

That is your issue for reading into the media too much.  The only part of your comments i would agree with is that millions watch.  it is a big game and the biggest export in footballing terms that Scotland has, period.  obviously country coming to a standstill is what you say, total bull shit.  it is also debatable how big a derby it is in world football terms these days.  but its up there.

The media play a massive part in the game here, by hyping up only one match they give greater exposure to these two teams, therefore they will continue to attract even more support. So yes it is my issue but its a bloody valid one. I'm still waiting for evidence of millions watching worldwide. It may be true but nobody has ever provided evidence of it.

I accept that - but the same goes back.  You cant show that less than millions watch it.  I am just being realistic and 20 million watching it world wide IMO is a very conservative guess.  Lets agree to disagree on this one, as we cannot settle it !!!!!

hold on a second here, why should I have to prove anything? I'm not the one claiming that millions watch this game so don't turn this around. If I am wrong I will hold my hand up.

20 million:lol: :lol:

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, vanderark14 said:

The media play a massive part in the game here, by hyping up only one match they give greater exposure to these two teams, therefore they will continue to attract even more support. So yes it is my issue but its a bloody valid one. I'm still waiting for evidence of millions watching worldwide. It may be true but nobody has ever provided evidence of it.

The media hype nothing up for me.  It is your choice to be hyped up by the media, no one elses.

It was estimated and reported that over 100million watched the OF semi last season.  I have taken that with a huge pinch of salt and come down to 20million.  

2 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

The media hype nothing up for me.  It is your choice to be hyped up by the media, no one elses.

It was estimated and reported that over 100million watched the OF semi last season.  I have taken that with a huge pinch of salt and come down to 20million.  

that's beacause the media hype benefits your team

you wouldn't be saying it if you were one of the other 40 teams in Scotland who are treated as nothing more than bit part players who are there to make up numbers.

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

hold on a second here, why should I have to prove anything? I'm not the one claiming that millions watch this game so don't turn this around. If I am wrong I will hold my hand up.

20 million:lol: :lol:

You don't have to prove anything at all.  Its a simple conversation that neither of us can obviously back up, hence I said, lets agree to disagree.  There probably is evidence somewhere of a fairly accurate figure, but I don't have the time or the inclination to search for it.

Guest BlueGaz
2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

that's beacause the media hype benefits your team

you wouldn't be saying it if you were one of the other 40 teams in Scotland who are treated as nothing more than bit part players who are there to make up numbers.

Unfortunately there is nothing I can do about that. 

3 minutes ago, sbcmfc said:

I posted an article further up that puts the sky viewing figure at "just over 500,000" for last years semi final.

Which seems surprisingly low, although I'm not sure what isn't included in that figure.

a quick search online and you have articles saying its 200 million worldwide, 100 million worldwide, 1 million in scotland or 500,000 in scotland

the truth is they have no bloody idea how much it is and they spew this shite out regularly. I know they do this to promote the game and I wouldn't have an issue with this if they put as much effort in to promoting the rest of the game in Scotland.

Edited by vanderark14

Just now, vanderark14 said:

Why would I think you're obsessed?  Unless that was an admission?

So, you do care then?  That is fine, there is no issue on caring.

Millions watch - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3552911/Mark-Warburton-given-Rangers-fans-light-end-dark-tunnel-liquidation-brought-Ibrox.html (108 million)

Country comes to a standstill -
I'd guess by the above it would be good to say it must have some effect 'if over 1.5% of the worlds population' are viewing

Greatest Derby in the World - People's opinion on it.

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

8 pages minimum.

Filled with people who claim they aren't bothered.

Saturday's game is the only show in the country.

To be fair, most Celtic fans i know are claiming it's just another game. Don't know if they are trying to pretend to others or themselves but they are kidding themselves on.

1 minute ago, Debian said:

Why would I think you're obsessed?  Unless that was an admission?

So, you do care then?  That is fine, there is no issue on caring.

Millions watch - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3552911/Mark-Warburton-given-Rangers-fans-light-end-dark-tunnel-liquidation-brought-Ibrox.html (108 million)

Country comes to a standstill -
I'd guess by the above it would be good to say it must have some effect 'if over 1.5% of the worlds population' are viewing

Greatest Derby in the World - People's opinion on it.

see my post above, these figures are made up, I also said that I know they do this to promote the game. My issue is they do it for one game only and its a massive problem in Scottish football.

Guest BlueGaz
5 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I know they do this to promote the game and I wouldn't have an issue with this if they put as much effort in to promoting the rest of the game in Scotland.

Genuine question, what other fixture at the weekend would bring the same interest both in Scotland and outside of Scotland?

Genuine question, what other fixture at the weekend would bring the same interest both in Scotland and outside of Scotland?

You are missing my point, the effort put in to promote this fixture is fine but only if you promote other games more as well.

Let me give you an example - The EPL

There are fixtures in that league which have always brought attention however others didn't. Sky promoted the crap out of that league as a whole and now look at it, it genuinely has millions watch most of its games. This is what can happen if everyone works together

The problem here is two side, the Old firm don't want to relinquish their grip on the game, the SFA and the other clubs are happy to plod along as long as they get at least 4 OF matches a year. There is no appetite to grow the game as a whole.