NICE - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Everytime there is a terrorist attack in Western Europe /America there is the same arguement  on here about the lack of grief for victims of attacks elsewhere. Sky news has covered nothing but this all day, I doubt the Baghdad attacks got anything similar. I would hope that the condemnation of this attack by the general public  is more to do with the wall to wall coverage they are fed by the news and not because of the colour of someone's skin. And whilst sympathy should go to any country that suffers an attack,  France really has had more than its fair share, for want of a better phrase.

I do not agree with all the extreme outpouring of grief,  but the alternative , to be desensitised to all these deaths, is worse.  

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Mox said:

Selective grief based on the colour of peoples skin and their nationality. Bastards indeed.

so the French and their neighbouring countries in offering their sympathy are showing selective grief? a ridiculous accusation and one that is lazily trotted out as an act of snobbery against (the admittedly sometimes moronic) FB generation. You may though have had a slightly stronger point on here if you had started threads based on any recent bombing in Kabul, Baghdad or Syria.........

Are the French seen as a soft touch?  

Why no large scale terror attacks in Italy or Germany?    Are their security services better equipped to monitor any threat?  It looks like the Germans are. 

It only takes one loner to kill 80+ people.  

It could happen anywhere and it won't be surprising if it happens closer to home. 

A lot of the planning is being done online now.   Have imprisoned hackers repay their debts by using their skills. 

Would also be very interested to see who's profiting from all this now and in the future. 

9 hours ago, Parklife said:

Truly horrific stuff. Can't imagine the horror that those caught up in this must have felt as the situation unfolded. 

I was in nice 4 weeks ago today for the Spain vs Turkey match. Walked along the promenade, had a few drinks in the promenade bars and got the bus from the official fan zone (right on the promenade) to the game. It really makes it hit home that all that is stopping me getting caught up in this is luck. 

Nice is a beautiful town and really friendly people. So sad :( 

In keeping with the football theme, ISIS/ terrorism really is France with western governments being Scotland. They are out manoevering  intelligence services at every turn . Barely a week has passed since the end of the Euros and with security having no doubt dropped a peg they give a great big GIRUY to France on their very own Bastille Day. 

As an aside, all these attacks along with the shambolic post Eu referendum shennanigns has made me even more convinced that Trident must be binned. Total waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere plus a deterrent is only of use if the enemy think you will actualy use it . Given the Uk government are struggling to deal with a Brexit sutuation what are the chances of anyone having the balls to release a nuclear weapon. 

29 minutes ago, OLAS said:

Are the French seen as a soft touch?  

Why no large scale terror attacks in Italy or Germany?    Are their security services better equipped to monitor any threat?  It looks like the Germans are. 

It only takes one loner to kill 80+ people.  

It could happen anywhere and it won't be surprising if it happens closer to home. 

A lot of the planning is being done online now.   Have imprisoned hackers repay their debts by using their skills. 

Would also be very interested to see who's profiting from all this now and in the future. 

France has a huge history of terrorism due to them basically taking over the southern ottaman empire after WWI.

EDIT: Algerian conflict etc

Edited by phart

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

In keeping with the football theme, ISIS/ terrorism really is France with western governments being Scotland. They are out manoevering  intelligence services at every turn . Barely a week has passed since the end of the Euros and with security having no doubt dropped a peg they give a great big GIRUY to France on their very own Bastille Day. 

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont believe ISIS have claimed responsibility yet

The only connection so far is this

"French Prime Minister Manuel Valls says Nice attacker was one way or the other linked to radical Islamist circles".

Im not even sure what that means

Either he was or wasnt

As someone else has already mentioned - Are we really sure that mowing down hundreds of people with a lorry was this guy's original intention ?

I realise in all likelihood ISIS will claim responsibility at some juncture but still ......

Edited by Ally Bongo

2 hours ago, Return of Yermaw said:

so the French and their neighbouring countries in offering their sympathy are showing selective grief? a ridiculous accusation and one that is lazily trotted out as an act of snobbery against (the admittedly sometimes moronic) FB generation. You may though have had a slightly stronger point on here if you had started threads based on any recent bombing in Kabul, Baghdad or Syria.........

I'm not interested in starting threads flaunting my grief and disdain for the people who carry out these attacks, it literally goes without saying.

1 hour ago, Ally Bongo said:

Correct me if i am wrong but i dont believe ISIS have claimed responsibility yet

The only connection so far is this

"French Prime Minister Manuel Valls says Nice attacker was one way or the other linked to radical Islamist circles".

Im not even sure what that means

Either he was or wasnt

As someone else has already mentioned - Are we really sure that mowing down hundreds of people with a lorry was this guy's original intention ?

I realise in all likelihood ISIS will claim responsibility at some juncture but still ......

No , you are absolutely correct,  there has been no confirmation. That is why is said ISIS/ terrorism,  as in any kind of terrorism, i wasnt certain it was ISIS. But it is terrorism of that there is no doubt , and they are winning. 

It does strike me as odd that this is being called a terrorist attack when there have been no concrete evidence of links to radical groups. His father has stated he was being treated for psychotic episodes and when he had a breakdown would basically turn berserker. Could it not be that he has just had a massive breakdown and somehow thought he was doing the right thing. The media are doing my head in constantly using phrases to ingrain that this was a terrorists attack

4 hours ago, phart said:

nah some weirdo loner did it.

I think so, but there's nothing to stop anyone/group claiming it. However, anyone with an ISIS avatar saying "Aye, we did it" will automatically have credence as many people want to point the finger at Islam.