Hungary goalie - Euro 2016 - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hungary goalie

jcs

I was going to say that it must be a thing with Hungarian goalkeepers as Gabor Kiraly used to wear them back in the day.  Then I realised it was Gabor Kiraly.  Amazed he's still playing, fair play tonight. 

27 minutes ago, aaid said:

I was going to say that it must be a thing with Hungarian goalkeepers as Gabor Kiraly used to wear them back in the day.  Then I realised it was Gabor Kiraly.  Amazed he's still playing, fair play tonight. 

40 now i think,amazing.

11 minutes ago, Bannannan said:

40 now i think,amazing.

He seems like he's been around forever.  I think when he was at Palace he looked a lot older than he actually was which might explain that.

i went to Kaiserslautern v 1860 about 3 or 4 years ago and he was in goals for 1860 that day and I thought then he must have been about 40. 

"Hungary goalie"

Show some respect, that is Gabor Kiraly - absolute legend.

Had a great game as well and kept Hungary's first ever clean sheet in an international tournament. Noticed he had what looked like trainers on as well - probably boots, but looked like running shoes.

Hungary were excellent today. Well done the Magyars and great to see them pushing on when 1-0 up and not sitting back.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

"Hungary goalie"

Show some respect, that is Gabor Kiraly - absolute legend.

Had a great game as well and kept Hungary's first ever clean sheet in an international tournament. Noticed he had what looked like trainers on as well - probably boots, but looked like running shoes.

Hungary were excellent today. Well done the Magyars and great to see them pushing on when 1-0 up and not sitting back.

Chill out lol wit u his maw

12 minutes ago, deecie said:

Pretty sure he was wearing the same joggers at Pittodrie.

It's his lucky pair.

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Had a great game as well and kept Hungary's first ever clean sheet in an international tournament.

That's an unbelievable stat given the teams they've had in the past!

They will be loving that defeat of their old rivals.

Hajra Magyarok! :ok:

2 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Hungary's first ever clean sheet in an international tournament.

44 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

That's an unbelievable stat given the teams they've had in the past!

Right enough I had to check and counted 6 clean sheets in the World Cup over the years. Don't know where that stat came from!

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

I thought this was going to be about that fat Hibs goalie, then I realised that he looks like he has never been hungry in his life.

:lol: Hungary (not hungry) keeper today looked like Superman fit compared to the Hibs goalie.

2 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Have they ever qualified for the Euros before?

I think their last major tournament was 1972 Euros (incredible if true).

Probably in there for the earlier ones since 1960 although that was initially only 4 teams qualifying for the first few (possibly changed in 1972?).

1 hour ago, fringo said:

I think their last major tournament was 1972 Euros (incredible if true).

Probably in there for the earlier ones since 1960 although that was initially only 4 teams qualifying for the first few (possibly changed in 1972?).

Their last Euros was 72 (but you're were right the Euros were semis & final only until the group stage was introduced at Italia 80).

They were at the Mexico 86 World Cup though.

9 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Their last Euros was 72 (but you're were right the Euros were semis & final only until the group stage was introduced at Italia 80).

They were at the Mexico 86 World Cup though.

So, when it comes down to it , they have played 3 games in total at the Euros and that was their 1st "ever" clean sheet. A very interesting statistic. Cheers weekevie.:ok:

22 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

So, when it comes down to it , they have played 3 games in total at the Euros and that was their 1st "ever" clean sheet. A very interesting statistic. Cheers weekevie.:ok:

It's actually 5 games, they came 3rd in 1964. Still, hardly an amazing stat. Not that the Magyars will be caring about that today.

25 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

It's actually 5 games, they came 3rd in 1964. Still, hardly an amazing stat. Not that the Magyars will be caring about that today.

OK, this "stat" might be starting to get a wee bit interesting. I'll give you 4 as we need to include the 3rd/4th place game in 1964, but I can't see where you get the 5th one. Unless you count the QF in 1964 which would make it 6 games. But then, if you did that you would also need to count the 1968 QF as well in which Hungary beat USSR 2 - 0 in one of the legs.

3 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

OK, this "stat" might be starting to get a wee bit interesting. I'll give you 4 as we need to include the 3rd/4th place game in 1964, but I can't see where you get the 5th one. Unless you count the QF in 1964 which would make it 6 games. But then, if you did that you would also need to count the 1968 QF as well in which Hungary beat USSR 2 - 0 in one of the legs.

Nah, the 5th game was yesterday :P

10 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Nah, the 5th game was yesterday :P

A'm no that thick, I counted that one.:lol: I have just realised that it's the 4th one that I missed. 3rd place game in 1972.

So, they have had one clean sheet in 5 games. Scotland have had 3 in 6. Pretty impressive.