Average weekly shop - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

It does save a load of money though, especially if you are prepared to raid other folks bins as well.

?? especially now most councils have a food waste specific bin

We spend no more than £45 a week on the 2 of us and we do our shop in Waitrose. We only buy what we need and cook proper meals most nights. We're vegan though and contrary to popular belief, that actually lowers the cost...

3 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Has anyone heard from  hampden_loon? I am concerend he may be in the casserole. 

Haha i sat the wife down when i got home from offshore,,, i very politely put across my concerns regarding our expenditure on the weekly shop,,, untill then everything was fine and dandy,, i then told her that our average shop fir the last 6 months was £206,,, for what ever reason she went off on one,, said that i was taking the piss and couldn't believe i would look back 6months shopping bills, we have only started to be civil to each other yesterday haha,, shes a spoiled only child and i should have expected her response, saying that we have only spent 50 quid on shopping since friday which is good for us,big pot of broth made this motning and half frozen for another date haha,, she sems to have taken what i said on board  i feel she was maybe embarrassed

16 hours ago, Albert said:

We spend no more than £45 a week on the 2 of us and we do our shop in Waitrose. We only buy what we need and cook proper meals most nights. We're vegan though and contrary to popular belief, that actually lowers the cost...

Grass is free

21 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Haha i sat the wife down when i got home from offshore,,, i very politely put across my concerns regarding our expenditure on the weekly shop,,, untill then everything was fine and dandy,, i then told her that our average shop fir the last 6 months was £206,,, for what ever reason she went off on one,, said that i was taking the piss and couldn't believe i would look back 6months shopping bills, we have only started to be civil to each other yesterday haha,, shes a spoiled only child and i should have expected her response, saying that we have only spent 50 quid on shopping since friday which is good for us,big pot of broth made this motning and half frozen for another date haha,, she sems to have taken what i said on board  i feel she was maybe embarrassed

gulp - for 6 months that's GBP 5356 or GBP 8926,  if you gross it up to a before tax amount if paying at higher rate  -

GBP 11,000 or GBP  Gross 17,800 for the year 

GBP 30 a day does sound a lot for food unless that includes lot of domestic cleaners/clothes etc etc 

Sense testing - GBP 17,800 is nearly 55% of what the average wage is in UK - and lot of folk don't get average wage

not having a dig here 

Edited by euan2020

20 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

gulp - for 6 months that's GBP 5356 or GBP 8926,  if you gross it up to a before tax amount if paying at higher rate  -

GBP 30 a day does sound a lot for food unless that includes lot of domestic cleaners/clothes etc etc 

Sense testing - GBP 17,800 is nearly 55% of what the average wage is in UK - and lot of folk don't get average wage

not having a dig here 

Think it would be more like 66% of average.

I have no idea what my missus spends on the shopping,but I do know that I'm a bugger for loading up the trolley,so she does it online. 

She says going to asda with me is worse than when the youngest (8) is with her. 

I don't care what she spends,as long as we can afford it and she doesn't find my receipts for golf equipment,we'll both be happy :lol:

48 minutes ago, euan2020 said:

not having a dig here 

I maybe never worded the original post correctly,, the shop would include toiletries,lottery,cleaning products ect but still out expenditure is insane,, i havent saved a dime in the last 2 years,,, and its mainly down to her shopping habbits,, i used to be very good with my money,,, its alarming especially considering we are down to one wage as the wifes worked screwed her over after maternity leave and paid her off,,,