EU Referendum - Page 31 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Guest BlueGaz
1 minute ago, Alan said:

The best bit is SNP standing "shoulder to shoulder" with Tories in debates and outside Holyrood.

No comment.  :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Alan said:

Off to stand outside a polling station in Glasgow for 6 hours with some SNP RemaIN brethren. Hoping they have left their Rock Steady high viz jackets at home. Better together.

Standing shoulder to shoulder I hope. 

Judging by the comments to Nicola's Facebook and Twitter posts there are a lot of unhappy SNP members

There was absolutely no need for the SNP to take such a prominent role in this referendum

They could have simply said that they favoured a remain vote without letting their narcissism encourage them going on national debates

By doing so they have most likely knived the chances of our own Independence in the back

I too have been taken aback by the numbers of people i have spoke to that are saying they are voting Leave

15 minutes ago, Scunnered said:

During the Independence referendum I cited Alan Johnson as the only person who I'd heard put forward a convincing argument for a No vote.  Again, he's excellent here:

http://hurryupharry.org/2016/06/20/why-i-am-voting-leave-by-professor-alan-johnson/

Thought he was excellent on C4 last night. He should really have featured more prominently...

SNP were in a lose/lose situation IMO. They're a pro-European party meaning supporting Leave was never an option. Sitting on their hands would also have seen them accused of giving right-wingers an easy run at an EU exit. The party had to back up it's pro-European credentials IMO. But even from an independence point of view, the best tactical play was to help secure a strong Scottish Remain vote in order to maximise leverage if/when UK votes Leave. Supporting Leave would have been a disaster for the SNP IMO and it would have been completely unacceptable for the party to sit on its hands. 

If members are unhappy about party position on EU, they should have done something long before now. This referendum was always going to be a difficult one for the SNP but the best "out" was to support a strong Scottish EU vote to Remain as it is consistent with indyref position and leaves the party with most options regardless of the result today.

Absolutely staggering to think the SNP shouldn't have support Remain or should have sat on it's hands.

1 minute ago, Auld_Reekie said:

SNP were in a lose/lose situation IMO. They're a pro-European party meaning supporting Leave was never an option. Sitting on their hands would also have seen them accused of giving right-wingers an easy run at an EU exit. The party had to back up it's pro-European credentials IMO. But even from an independence point of view, the best tactical play was to help secure a strong Scottish Remain vote in order to maximise leverage if/when UK votes Leave. Supporting Leave would have been a disaster for the SNP IMO and it would have been completely unacceptable for the party to sit on its hands. 

If members are unhappy about party position on EU, they should have done something long before now. This referendum was always going to be a difficult one for the SNP but the best "out" was to support a strong Scottish EU vote to Remain as it is consistent with indyref position and leaves the party with most options regardless of the result today.

Absolutely staggering to think the SNP shouldn't have support Remain or should have sat on it's hands.

This.  Given that the SNP's core message has been Independence in Europe for decades now, why are people surprised?

I'm generally sceptical about people posting on the Internet and who call into radio phone ins claiming to be a supporter of a party who is on one side of an argument, then vehemently oppose that viewpoint.  I think they are at it.  

Guest BlueGaz
27 minutes ago, aaid said:

I think they are at it.  

Can you not support a party purely on the fact that they are the best party at that particular time to run the country?  But disagree with some of their major policies?  How many people vote for / support the SNP but would always vote NO?  I think there will be quite a few.

Just now, BlueGaz said:

Can you not support a party purely on the fact that they are the best party at that particular time to run the country?  But disagree with some of their major policies?  How many people vote for / support the SNP but would always vote NO?  I think there will be quite a few.

Its entirely possible and I've no doubt that there are people who feel like that but it's the "and I'll never vote for them again" that gives the game away.  If this issue is so important to you, why would you vote for a party that has the opposing view?

8 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

Yes you can

I couldn't tell you much about their policies but the SNP are the biggest pro independence party so they get my vote to help them grow. 

Guest BlueGaz
6 minutes ago, aaid said:

Its entirely possible and I've no doubt that there are people who feel like that but it's the "and I'll never vote for them again" that gives the game away.  If this issue is so important to you, why would you vote for a party that has the opposing view?

Because you don't have to agree with all their policies.  Best of  bad bunch?  Personally, I didn't see this referendum coming a couple of years ago, and being in/out of EU wasn't an issue for me, so wouldn't vote for a party for that reason, or even take it into account. 

Now this ref is here, I will vote, but not because of any parties stance, for my own reasons.

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Noticed that the best odds on Remain have gone from 1/4 to 1/7 in the past couple of hours.

Leave was 3/1, it's now 11/2...

Interesting. I read online that although there will be no exit polls some banks have commissioned private polls - if the £ starts making significant moves one way or the other in early trading on the Asian markets that might signify what those polls are saying. 

Guest BlueGaz
4 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Yes you can

I couldn't tell you much about their policies but the SNP are the biggest pro independence party so they get my vote to help them grow. 

Which is great and my point.  If you are voting today, is your choice purely because you vote SNP and you will adopt their stance, or is it because you have made your own mind up?  

1 minute ago, neilser said:

Interesting. I read online that although there will be no exit polls some banks have commissioned private polls - if the £ starts making significant moves one way or the other in early trading on the Asian markets that might signify what those polls are saying. 

Why no exit polls?

J

1 minute ago, BlueGaz said:

Which is great and my point.  If you are voting today, is your choice purely because you vote SNP and you will adopt their stance, or is it because you have made your own mind up?  

my own mind has been made up, I seem to be going against the grain for my home town. Everyone seems to want to leave because of the fishing industry but I will be voting remain. My vote has nothing to with the SNP despite their pro european stance.

On ‎20‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 4:04 PM, Scunnered said:
2 minutes ago, Bristolhibby said:

Why no exit polls?

J

Not sure of the reason - there's going to be some form of follow up survey by one of the pollsters of their panel of voters that'll show whether the way they voted changed from what they previously said but that's about it.

Edit: fecking multiquote thing doing my heid in

Edited by neilser

9 minutes ago, neilser said:

Similar to the Indyref, no need for exit polls, they will know.

Remember the statement as the polls closed that Cameron had been informed of a 10 point victory?

Edited by Toepoke

3 minutes ago, Toepoke said:

Similar to the Indyref, no need for exit polls, they will know.

Remember the statement as the polls closed that Cameron had been informed of a 10 point victory?

And the real reason is that John Curtice and mates - who put together the exit polls - have no previous EU referendums on which to base their methodology. 

35 minutes ago, BlueGaz said:

My pal lived in Europe for 25 years and thought it was great, been home a few years now,he is a big SNP supporter, worked really hard for them during independence referendum, when he told his brother he was voting leave he was told you can't vote leave as it is not the SNP stance, they have fallen out with each other now