Team v Czech Republic - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Team v Czech Republic

JagDude

I can't see anything changing, Strachan should be willing to try a new system like two up top instead of his insistence on 4-2-3-1. It's far too restrictive and heavily reliant on the same players who have failed time and time again.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I can't see anything changing, Strachan should be willing to try a new system like two up top instead of his insistence on 4-2-3-1. It's far too restrictive and heavily reliant on the same players who have failed time and time again.

Agreed

19 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

He did when Watt came on it was 442

Wasn't impressed with Andrew Robertson in Prague and in fact he hasn't had a really good Scotland performance for a while. Think Georgia at Ibrox was the last time he really shone.

It seems to be accepted that he's our first choice left back but I would like to see a few others tried out, namely Shinnie and Wallace, as Whittaker and Forsyth were both poor replacements in the last campaign.

On Friday 25 March 2016 at 0:26 PM, vanderark14 said:

Disagree.

4-2-3-1 is pretty flexibile and new players can slot into it with relative ease. Its also easy to change during the match and can be defensive or attacking depending on the opposition.

23 minutes ago, Goozay said:

Disagree.

4-2-3-1 is pretty flexibile and new players can slot into it with relative ease. Its also easy to change during the match and can be defensive or attacking depending on the opposition.

Dont you think that we always fall into 4.5.1 though?Letting teams come at us with no attacking relief?

What's the point of calling up Maloney ? There were enough midfielders in the squad already. And even if we did need an extra player then surely one of either Sam Nicolson or Jamie Walker would have been better options ?

I'm grateful for everything Maloney's done in a Scotland shirt but I'm highly sceptical he'll be of much use in the next qualification campaign. He's thirty three now. 

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Are Watt and McCormack still in the squad for the Denmark game?  I don't think they should be starting over Martin and Griffiths but would like to see them get a bit more game time.

Martin? As in Chris? I should be starting over him!

13 hours ago, Dunty said:

It seems to be accepted that he's our first choice left back but I would like to see a few others tried out, namely Shinnie and Wallace, as Whittaker and Forsyth were both poor replacements in the last campaign.

I hope Tierney gets a start against Denmark. I've only seen him in Celtic's european games, but he looked excellent.

15 minutes ago, Dave78 said:

I hope Tierney gets a start against Denmark. I've only seen him in Celtic's european games, but he looked excellent.

He certainly should get a start :ok:

And there's idiots that wanted Lee Wallace picked ahead of him :lol:

On 3/25/2016 at 4:26 PM, Goozay said:

Disagree.

4-2-3-1 means he only uses certain players for it, he proved he isn't willing to try anything different during the last campaign and he will do the same again for the upcoming one. 

On 25/03/2016 at 9:56 PM, munro7 said:

Martin? As in Chris? I should be starting over him!

He has a superior scoring record and a far far superior assist record than Rhodes yet everyone thinks he is the Messiah and should play every game. Martin gives different options and is a good squad player. Yet another player getting criticism because his face doesn't fit.

11 minutes ago, Jagtag said:

He has a superior scoring record and a far far superior assist record than Rhodes yet everyone thinks he is the Messiah and should play every game. Martin gives different options and is a good squad player. Yet another player getting criticism because his face doesn't fit.

no they don't

by record, do you mean Martin's scoring record this season or over his whole career?

Edited by vanderark14

2 hours ago, Jagtag said:

I can only speak for myself but I'm giving Martin criticism purely because he's been utterly rank every single time he's played for us. Nothing to do with his face not fitting, whatever that means.

And I've never claimed Rhodes to be any such thing but I personally would have him in the squad before Martin as I think Rhodes has looked ok in his appearances.

On 25/03/2016 at 4:50 PM, Bannannan said:

Dont you think that we always fall into 4.5.1 though?Letting teams come at us with no attacking relief?

Sometimes, but to say it "always" happens is a massive overstatement.

When I look back on the last campaign it's the 3 points dropped in Tbilisi that was the fatal blow, which was caused by too many of our key players having a stinker on the night rather than the formation they played in.

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

4-2-3-1 means he only uses certain players for it, he proved he isn't willing to try anything different during the last campaign and he will do the same again for the upcoming one. 

You're saying that Strachan is reluctant to introduce new players because they don't suit the 4-2-3-1 system? I don't see that, Srrachan has a reputation for having his favourites - he'll stick with those "favourites" even if he changes the formation.

I'm interested though in which players you think are worthy of a start but are currently excluded because they don't fit into 4-2-3-1?

3 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

no they don't

by record, do you mean Martin's scoring record this season or over his whole career?

We should only ever pick players on current form and not what they were doing 4 or 5 years ago.

Strachan will pick players who he thinks will do a job in his system. 

5 hours ago, Jagtag said:

Hes a big fat slow useless #####

55 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Hes a big fat slow useless #####

He is much quicker than Rhodes so where does that leave us. He is also better at coming deep and holding the ball up to play others in. That's why he is there and Rhodes isn't. 

I'd still say he's behind Fletcher Griffiths and McCormack but he is in the squad on merit. 

5 hours ago, Jagtag said:

He is much quicker than Rhodes so where does that leave us. He is also better at coming deep and holding the ball up to play others in. That's why he is there and Rhodes isn't. 

I'd still say he's behind Fletcher Griffiths and McCormack but he is in the squad on merit. 

He's been brutal for us any time he's has played. Rhodes has done better

17 hours ago, Jagtag said:

Or because everytime Martin has played for Scotland he's looked out of his depth, whereas Rhodes has played well, scored and is clearly a better fit for international football.