Female Sports Journalists & Workplace Harassment - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Female Sports Journalists & Workplace Harassment

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I propositioned a female employee in a business meeting, I'd be on a disciplinary and in danger of losing my job. It's wrong on so many levels, it's remarkable anyone would defend it or play it down. It absolutely speaks of the guys attitude to a fellow professional that he would make such comments in the workplace. That's effectively what it is.

I'm pretty sure sexual harrassment will be much like bullying in that there is no hard and fast definition, but it is how the person on the end of it (so to speak) perceives it. So if the person believes they are being sexually harrassed then it has to be taken seriously.

If a manager came in to my office and said something like this to one of my staff that he or she had never met before I wouldn't automatically go to HR, but judge how the person had taken it (one person's sexual harrassment is another person's jokey fliration) - did they feel sexually harrassed? If so, I'd be right on the phone to HR. It isn't political correctness - it's ensuring that this type of out-dated alpha male workplace mentality is slowly but surely stopped.

Edit: Which is pretty much what Reekie says above.

Edited by Stapes

If I propositioned a female employee in a business meeting, I'd be on a disciplinary and in danger of losing my job. It's wrong on so many levels, it's remarkable anyone would defend it or play it down. It absolutely speaks of the guys attitude to a fellow professional that he would make such comments in the workplace. That's effectively what it is.

they werent colleagues though

equivalent situation would be a female salewoman visiting a business and getting asked to go out on a date

now above example exposes a reverse situation - females have used their sexuality to improve their sales tactics

we all know in oil industry that clients are more receptive to females, and they give us an easier time if we screw up, if a female ops person is handling the problem

I'm pretty sure sexual harrassment will be much like bullying in that there is no hard and fast definition, but it is how the person on the end of it (so to speak) perceives it. So if the person believes they are being sexually harrassed then it has to be taken seriously.

If a manager came in to my office and said something like this to one of my staff that he or she had never met before I wouldn't automatically go to HR, but judge how the person had taken it (one person's sexual harrassment is another person's jokey fliration) - did they feel sexually harrassed? If so, I'd be right on the phone to HR. It isn't political correctness - it's ensuring that this type of out-dated alpha male workplace mentality is slowly but surely stopped.

you would be on the phone to HR about a client ? (now our HR polocies actually do say we should report anything untoward that clients do, but i'm still asking )

equivalent situation would be a female salewoman visiting a business and getting asked to go out on a date

now above example exposes a reverse situation - females have used their sexuality to improve their sales tactics

we all know in oil industry that clients are more receptive to females, and they give us an easier time if we screw up, if a female ops person is handling the problem

Aren't you supposed to be on Honeymoon?

Congrats, BTW.

You don't have to work in the same company to be a colleague. A colleague can be any fellow professional or employee in the workplace. Your equivalent situation isn't exactly comparable. Do you think it would be acceptable, in the middle of a meeting with a few dozen colleagues, for you to inappropriately proposition a female across the table in front of everyone? Would you actually do that? I dont think many would because it's wrong. You'd be telling everyone around you that you were more interested in framing your female colleague as an object rather than a professional.

you would be on the phone to HR about a client ? (now our HR polocies actually do say we should report anything untoward that clients do, but i'm still asking )

No, a manager from another department.

If it were, say, a delivery driver, I'd pass it to my boss, but I reckon we'd contact the driver's company.

He doesn't employ her.... she is not a work colleague and it is not a business meeting.....

You're changing the reality to make a point?

Again.... it has to be judged on what it was, not different circumstances.

He doesnt employ her, so that makes it appropriate? What if I was in a customer meeting, where I propositioned a female client in front of everyone? It's not a business meeting, that was just an analogy to make a point. The underlining point is the same. It was her workplace, she was doing her job and he looked upon her as fair game rather than his equal.

The defence of Gayle is becoming more ridiculous. What is it about the environment and the roles of both that make this not a working environment and two professionals?

What if it had been the other way round and she had made those exact comments to him ?

That's what you tend to notice when a male schoolchild cops off with his female teacher. Society pats him on the back which really annoys me.

He doesnt employ her, so that makes it appropriate? What if I was in a customer meeting, where I propositioned a female client in front of everyone? It's not a business meeting, that was just an analogy to make a point. The underlining point is the same. It was her workplace, she was doing her job and he looked upon her as fair game rather than his equal.

The defence of Gayle is becoming more ridiculous. What is it about the environment and the roles of both that make this not a working environment and two professionals?

So, going by your thought process, a young woman who works in Tesco, who fancies a male co worker and asks him out in front of other workers would be....

Looking at him as fair game and not her equal?

Slightly off-topic...i'm sure she'd have got her job if she looked like bella emberg.

Exactly what I thought.

Back when there was the Andy Gray and Richard Keys incident I thought that too. I thought Grays and Keys were a couple of neanderthals that deserved what they got. But for Sky to come out with all the anti-sexist pish they did was nonsense. Every single presenter on their sports news channel is a model for a reason. Because sex sells. Hypocritical barstewards.

Depends on the context, but yes, in some circumstances that would be inappropriate. If it doesn't seem that way, it probably says something about our own prejudices because if the roles were reversed, it's perfectly possible for women to feel sexually harassed in the workplace. Just because it happened in Tesco or by a woman, doesn't make it acceptable. As I said, the context, the audience, what was said is all relevant.

Gayle did it in the most inappropriate way, at the most inappropriate moment. Trying to water it down by some vague incident in your local Tesco doesn't really do it justice.

Depends on the context, but yes, in some circumstances that would be inappropriate. If it doesn't seem that way, it probably says something about our own prejudices because if the roles were reversed, it's perfectly possible for women to feel sexually harassed in the workplace. Just because it happened in Tesco or by a woman, doesn't make it acceptable. As I said, the context, the audience, what was said is all relevant.

Gayle did it in the most inappropriate way, at the most inappropriate moment. Trying to water it down by some vague incident in your local Tesco doesn't really do it justice.

Sorry.... but all you are doing is giving people a right to play a victim card if and when it suits.....

Nothing nasty happened in the interview, I'm sure she was taken aback, maybe embarrassed and unsure what to do say, but, often, that's the case in a situation were someone asks another out!

You take a chance, you live with the consequences. .... I'm sure he regrets it now.

By the time the clocks change this tert will have done an FHM shoot, sold her story to the Sunday papers, been linked romantically (or just plain shaggably) to an already famous sports star and more importantly be a household name

Fuqer

Edited by DoonTheSlope