Female Sports Journalists & Workplace Harassment - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Female Sports Journalists & Workplace Harassment

Happens in work places up and down the country day and daily..... get over it!

live on national TV right in the middle of them doing their work?I smell shite. You think a camera man walking up and asking the BBC news reader for a date when she is doing a broadcast happens up and down the country? or is OK?

Of course i can pick loads of work instances when folk ask them out on a date vie email, or go up to their work station etc.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Examples of what?

You know what, it doesn't matter. I've already tried to turn up the resolution and show its not simply a case of asking someone out at work. You either get it or you don't. Zero gain in me belaboring a point.

Why?

She was placed in a humiliating position on national television because of her gender - her discomfort was obvious.

Those on the ABC discussion saying that this is far from a one-off with Chris Gayle and it goes way beyond him.

live on national TV right in the middle of them doing their work?I smell shite. You think a camera man walking up and asking the BBC news reader for a date when she is doing a broadcast happens up and down the country? or is OK?

Of course i can pick loads of work instances when folk ask them out on a date vie email, or go up to their work station etc.

So.... the fact he asked her during work is normal.... but because he done it live with an audience is the problem? As you see it?

Get over it? Are you a child?

That may be the case but doesn't make it right, and as pointed out this was live on tv. It's inappropriate and I suspect Gayle knew this.

Inappropriate is different to calling the guy a creep. ...

What you suspect is far from fact! Fact!

Oh and.... it doesn't make it wrong either. ....

Plenty do it with no panty pissing from either party involved

There is a story about Chris Gayle, now as well-worn as the old pair of pads under the bench at the back of the changing room. The punchline is a little offensive, so if you’re squeamish skip ahead to the next paragraph. It was at Arundel, back in 2004. West Indies were playing a tour match against the MCC. There was a dinner one evening during the match, hosted by John Barclay, old Etonian, once-and-then-future president of the MCC, and as Mike Selvey puts it in his version of the tale, “all-round good egg”. Barclay, keen to kickstart the conversation, launched into a disquisition about his own recollections of Jamaica; the beaches at Boston Bay, the Blue Mountains, Dunn’s River Falls, that sort of thing. On and on he went, until he finally paused to take breath. At which point Gayle turned to him and said: “You get much pussy?”

Inappropriate is different to calling the guy a creep. ...

What you suspect is far from fact! Fact!

Oh and.... it doesn't make it wrong either. ....

Plenty do it with no panty pissing from either party involved

Which is why I said suspect :blink:

"To see your eyes for the first time is nice. Hopefully we can have a drink afterwards. Don't blush baby," he said

I think that's creepy and inappropriate

"To see your eyes for the first time is nice. Hopefully we can have a drink afterwards. Don't blush baby," he said

It's not just creepy and inappropriate, it's about power.

It's about how Gayle sees the male/female relationship....he feels he has a right to ignore the reporter's professional qualifications and attitude, and assert himself by taking an alpha-male position live on TV.

Because she's a woman. It's what they all want, innit ??

It's about how Gayle sees the male/female relationship....he feels he has a right to ignore the reporter's professional qualifications and attitude, and assert himself by taking an alpha-male position live on TV.

Agreed.

That's why I mentioned it. .... you don't know.....

Some folk are more delicate than others..... that's just the way of the world, nothing he said would raise an eyebrow with me, there is no issue in my opinion!

Just, The Great Offended going out of their way to be offended!

Oh ffs......

Comedy Gold!

As a question put properly in a private conversation its acceptable. In a public place, live on air, in front of others while she is working, its pretty much sexual harassment.

Sexual Harassment. ..... is bullying or coercion of a sexual nature, or the unwelcome/inappropriate promise of rewards in exchange for sexual favours......

Keep it real.

Oh ffs......

Comedy Gold!

Bollocks, it's spot on. Gayle was on a power trip and enjoyed embarrassing the lass. Just about any bloke should be able to recognize that as we all feel the potential to some extent. The difference is that most of us are aware that our culture has evolved to the extent that such behaviour is unacceptable. Like Clarkson lamping a lacky or Grey and Keys taking the piss out of a female linesman, Gayle feels his position of dominance places him above the cultural norms.

Bollocks, it's spot on. Gayle was on a power trip and enjoyed embarrassing the lass. Just about any bloke should be able to recognize that as we all feel the potential to some extent. The difference is that most of us are aware that our culture has evolved to the extent that such behaviour is unacceptable. Like Clarkson lamping a lacky or Grey and Keys taking the piss out of a female linesman, Gayle feels his position of dominance places him above the cultural norms.

That's some mindset you have Donny......

Complete nonsense and Not unsurprising in a society were people seek out mock outrage!

That's some mindset you have Donny......

Complete nonsense and Not unsurprising in a society were people seek out mock outrage!

I'm not outraged, I just find it mildly pathetic. I find your need to defend it mildly pathetic an' all.