F*** Christmas - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never liked Christmas and it gets a bit worse for me every year it seems.

Had to fly to Scotland on Christmas eve a few years ago as my mother was in hospital and we thought she might not make it through. She died 4 months later.

Then a couple of years ago i collapsed on Christmas day with a suspected leaking aneurysm.

This year my dad died on Sunday there as a result of injuries sustained in a car crash a few days before and I have to fly back early January for his funeral. Thankfully there were no other serious injuries in the accident. The thought of walking out of Edinburgh airport in January to horizontal pishing rain for a funeral does not fill me with much joy.

On the upside, I am going to a boxing day pool party and a hogmanay pool party with some really great friends (who post on here).

Edited by scoobydoo

Never liked Christmas and it gets a bit worse for me every year it seems.

Had to fly to Scotland on Christmas eve a few years ago as my mother was in hospital and we thought she might not make it through. She died 4 months later.

Then a couple of years ago i collapsed on Christmas day with a suspected leaking aneurysm.

This year my dad died on Sunday there as a result of injuries sustained in a car crash a few days before and I have to fly back early January for his funeral. Thankfully there were no other serious injuries in the accident. The thought of walking out of Edinburgh airport in January to horizontal pishing rain for a funeral does not fill me with much joy.

On the upside, I am going to a boxing day pool party and a hogmanay pool party with some really great friends (who post on here).

That's really shit!

No wonder you're not a fan of this time of year!

All the best.

That's really shit!

No wonder you're not a fan of this time of year!

All the best.

Actually, last year, i locked myself out the house on christmas eve and stupidly thought i could get the ladders out, climb onto the roof, remove a few roof tiles and get in through the attic hatch. Wearing flip-flops, shorts and semmit in 35C heat. Fortunately my neighbour stopped me going into my spider infested attic after I had removed enough tiles to get through. i shredded my hands taking the tiles off too.

$400 and sun burnt tae later I was in, after the locksmith had opened the door for me.

I should have used a drill to ruin the lock and bought another lock for $50.

I said to Mrs neilser last week that we shouldn't get each other presents this year as the credit card has taken a total hammering already this month. Turns out she'd got me stuff already, so I ended up handing over my credit card to her with a strict upper limit so she could get something for herself online (I'm a real enthusiast for the spirit of Christmas...). It now transpires that she hadn't actually ordered my main present - it's just saved on an Amazon wish list as she got interrupted while in the process of ordering. I give up...

Totally agree with Flora - unless you have young kids who can see it as a magic time - its otherwise a load of crap. Them fukkin xmas songs do ma heid in - especially when its the ones by the kiddy fiddler. here kitty kitty.

Xmas day itself is even more pish with no sport - shyte tv - just waiting for boxing day and some decent racing and football.

A few days ago, a mate and I (both in our early twenties) were both in sad agreement that all the things that made Christmas a wonderful and enchanting time when we were kids and then teenagers have now disappeared or else we've grown out of things.

Quite sad when you realise that it's all over now but that's life !

Och well, at least we still have the memories ..........

Christmas is no the same anymore since they halved the size of the tins of quality street

Those pishy plastic tubs that Quality Street and Roses come in these days just aren't the same as the good old fashioned tins you used to get them in.

Being a primary school teacher I can't avoid it. Every December it's like being covered in a tub of Christmas paint. It's everywhere and in everything we do.

Do you not still get presents from the kids in the last week before the holidays or is that discouraged now ?

When I was in primary school, our parents we used to always give them wine, chocolates and the like.

At my primary school we always had a big last day of term "hymn assembly" with the local minister attending and Bible readings. From the end of November onwards the whole school had to assemble for hymn practice twice a week. Each session lasted about forty five minutes and you had to do it :angry:.

A complete waste of time better spent learning.

Really hope you guys aren't forced to do all that !

A few days ago, a mate and I (both in our early twenties) were both in sad agreement that all the things that made Christmas a wonderful and enchanting time when we were kids and then teenagers have now disappeared or else we've grown out of things.

Quite sad when you realise that it's all over now but that's life !

Och well, at least we still have the memories ..........

Those pishy plastic tubs that Quality Street and Roses come in these days just aren't the same as the good old fashioned tins you used to get them in.

Do you not still get presents from the kids in the last week before the holidays or is that discouraged now ?

When I was in primary school, our parents we used to always give them wine, chocolates and the like.

At my primary school we always had a big last day of term "hymn assembly" with the local minister attending and Bible readings. From the end of November onwards the whole school had to assemble for hymn practice twice a week. Each session lasted about forty five minutes and you had to do it :angry:.

A complete waste of time better spent learning.

Really hope you guys aren't forced to do all that !

I have a 20 month year old son and although he doesn't fully understand what is going on this is the most excited I've been about Christmas in years. Was just laying out his Santa presents there and can't wait for the morning to see his face when he walks into the sitting room. I'm easily the most excited person in my house.

On the school bit. Yeah we still get presents from some of the kids at Christmas and the end of the year. A lot of standard boxes of chocolates but I've had some really decent and thoughtful things recently. A framed picture of Caley winning the cup, Caley cup and coaster, personalised USB stick etc. Defienetly a perk of the job.

The church service things haven't changed much. Each class had a carol to learn along with whole school ones. We did a good few practices and we went to the local church on the last day for Christmas service.

Edited by iainmac1

I forget how much some people love to share the absolutely obscene number of presents they've bought their kids on Facebook. No thought for those who might be getting by with little or nothing this Christmas. And going by some on Facebook, austerity is over.

Mental. Bah humbug. Merry Christmas to all those who are enjoying it in moderation and thinking of others around them.

Spending time with my kids, their partners and my granddaughter today is something I am looking forward to. Tomorrow we have a wider family do in Stafford. I don't indulge in the commercial jamboree but for two days of the year I forget about being cynical and just enjoy the moment.

Merry Christmas everyone.

I forget how much some people love to share the absolutely obscene number of presents they've bought their kids on Facebook. No thought for those who might be getting by with little or nothing this Christmas. And going by some on Facebook, austerity is over.

Woke up this morning to a Couponbook post from my sister showing her sofa piled high with literally dozens of presents fo my 8 year old nephew. What pisses me off is he's a bright wee boy (when he comes to visit me he helps me work on my motorbike and enjoys visits to places like Pluscarden Abbey and Elgin Cathedral and learning about their history) who's being gradually ruined by my materialistic sister. He's a good swimmer, already in a higher age group than he should be and a national coach has been keeping an eye on him, yet his presents include a Playstation and a smartphone. :angry:

Woke up this morning to a Couponbook post from my sister showing her sofa piled high with literally dozens of presents fo my 8 year old nephew. What pisses me off is he's a bright wee boy (when he comes to visit me he helps me work on my motorbike and enjoys visits to places like Pluscarden Abbey and Elgin Cathedral and learning about their history) who's being gradually ruined by my materialistic sister. He's a good swimmer, already in a higher age group than he should be and a national coach has been keeping an eye on him, yet his presents include a Playstation and a smartphone. :angry:

Ffs. Smart phone at 8 years old? Ffs, I feel your pain. My boys will not have any of that stuff as long as I can help it.

Nollaig Shona ó Éirinn :cheers3:

Best wishes for 2016 to all on TAMB. Brilliant forum and enjoyed the debating with yourselves on here the last couple of years.

Hopefully a good start to your qualification campaign next year and we both get to Russia 2018. :ok:

Nollaig Shona ó Éirinn :cheers3:

Best wishes for 2016 to all on TAMB. Brilliant forum and enjoyed the debating with yourselves on here the last couple of years.

Hopefully a good start to your qualification campaign next year and we both get to Russia 2018. :ok:

Boys & Girls in green are very welcome here.

Good luck in the Euros :ok:

My Gran says that when she was a girl, the seriously heavy drinking party started for her Irish family as soon as midnight Mass was over :-))