Housing Costs In 2025 - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Housing Costs In 2025

By the way, what was the interest rate for a mortgage in the 80s? Much higher? I'd like to at least think we have cheaper credit now!

I recently got a 20 year mortgage at 2% fixed which seemed to be outstanding value. However, the small apartment cost nearly 10 times my salary. 'Luckily' we had a big lump of inheritance but it's not something you really want to rely on having...

By the way, what was the interest rate for a mortgage in the 80s? Much higher? I'd like to at least think we have cheaper credit now!

I think it peaked at around 17%.

I was a student then and fortunately not a home owner. I did have a Leeds Liquid Gold account which paid for the odd night out with the interest it was earning :)

When I bought in the mid 90s the rate was around 7%. But you did get MIRAS support from the government at the time...

I recently got a 20 year mortgage at 2% fixed which seemed to be outstanding value. However, the small apartment cost nearly 10 times my salary. 'Luckily' we had a big lump of inheritance but it's not something you really want to rely on having...

Who's offering 20year fixed deals?

forgot about that, house owners used to get govt help to pay mortgage....

can u mind how much %age wise it was.....

It was the same as the basic rate of income tax at the time. it was effectively the same as getting an extra bit on your tax free allowance. But it only applied to the interest you paid not on the repayment bit which was by far the biggest bit. So, if you paid 10% interest on your mortgage you got tax relief on that interest bit, effectively taking your interest ate gown to about 8%. it was a wee incentive but nothing major.

I think it peaked at around 17%.

I was a student then and fortunately not a home owner. I did have a Leeds Liquid Gold account which paid for the odd night out with the interest it was earning :)

When I bought in the mid 90s the rate was around 7%. But you did get MIRAS support from the government at the time...

You had money in a bank account when you were a student? :shocked: Sounds like you were born into money. If you want your kids to have the same privileged start in life that you did, then you will just have to dip your hand in your pocket ya auld skinflint.

forgot about that, house owners used to get govt help to pay mortgage....

can u mind how much %age wise it was.....

Was 25% Mira's. If there was 2 parties on a mortgage both got this, so got 50% relief on interest which is major cost on your repayments 1st 10 years. Plus many mortgages were endowment then. Think joint Mira's stopped in 87 but only for new mortgages or remortgages. As folk said if there had been no quantitive easing interest rates would be higher and folk could not suffer this pain. Interest rate in South Africa is around 10.5%. 90-91. We were busy as hell changing folks standing orders and if you looked back to see what they paid previously increase was scarey. Rates going up every month.

You had money in a bank account when you were a student? :shocked: Sounds like you were born into money. If you want your kids to have the same privileged start in life that you did, then you will just have to dip your hand in your pocket ya auld skinflint.

:wave: At these prices, nae chance.

The Clydesdale Bank even gave me a credit card when I was a student. The limit was about a hundred quid right enough...

One other thing that is pushing house prices up are the landlords who are using there existing houses to get mortgages to buy up houses and then charging more and more to rent those houses and flats.

That's another thing that's changed, buy to let mortgagee used to have a higher interest rate and were a lot more difficult to obtain...

One other thing that is pushing house prices up are the landlords who are using there existing houses to get mortgages to buy up houses and then charging more and more to rent those houses and flats.

Nothing highlights the human propensity to banal myopic khuntishness than a "property portfolio".

Nothing highlights the human propensity to banal myopic khuntishness than a "property portfolio".

yup - the landlords really cant "afford it" - but they are taking the chance on signing off a mortgage application and they have a belief that "property prices always go up"

they are fecked if interest rates go up cos rent only covers tehir existing mortgage - and tenants will only pay market rate, not any additional interest

1 of my friends house that he bought was 200K Euro negative equity at one stage in Ireland - think its now 100K Euro negative equity

Banks ####ed it up with high Loan to Value and Mortgage mulitipliers - this is what has fulled the house prices

Multilplier used to be a hard and fast 2.5 times joint income or 3.5 single income, which was most you could borrow - some folk nowadays were on 10 times income, and self certifying mortgages folk just made stuff up

I seriously have very little interest in owning a house. The obsession is mad, lets work stupid hours to be able to pay for a house i cant afford and while im at it pay for a car i cant afford to get to the job i need to work to pay for the house and the car......

I seriously have very little interest in owning a house. The obsession is mad, lets work stupid hours to be able to pay for a house i cant afford and while im at it pay for a car i cant afford to get to the job i need to work to pay for the house and the car......

not being funny, but what would you hope to do when you retire ? are you planning on budgeting to have enough money to rent during this period ?

i don't actually own a house, or ever done so, but buying one in Cape Town just now - but part of my thinking is affordability when you retire if you don't own something

not being funny, but what would you hope to do when you retire ? are you planning on budgeting to have enough money to rent during this period ?

i don't actually own a house, or ever done so, but buying one in Cape Town just now - but part of my thinking is affordability when you retire if you don't own something

No i get what you mean but to be perfectly honest i havent planned much out at all.