Scottland Player Transfer Gossip - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scottland Player Transfer Gossip

kmcca5

Not anyone, but I think we're kidding ourselves on that the English born players in the team all supported Scotland as a kid and wanted England to lose. It's just our luck they weren't picked for England. It would appear the "c***ts" some people are referring to are just the ones England got first. It's a lot of racist pish.

Im under no illusions about the allegiances of Matt Ritchie, James Morrison etc. I can't imagine Scott Brown or Steven Naismith choosing england if their granny was from Stoke though. Being scottish or english is not a race its a nationality. Jesus Christ.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not anyone, but I think we're kidding ourselves on that the English born players in the team all supported Scotland as a kid and wanted England to lose. It's just our luck they weren't picked for England. It would appear the "c***ts" some people are referring to are just the ones England got first. It's a lot of racist pish.

you're all over the place. what has wanting England to lose got to do with anything? and the whole eligibility issue in regard to international football is inherently discriminatory but you are banging on about racism? jesus wept.

A lot would, including a lot of Scots born players.

I find that very hard to believe. Which Scottish born player can you think of who would represent England if they only qualified through their granny and Scotland wanted them?

The only one I can think of ever is Dominic Matteo.

I find that very hard to believe. Which Scottish born player can you think of who would represent England if they only qualified through their granny and Scotland wanted them?

Maybe not England, but we have lost plenty of scots to Ireland who had no desire to play for us.....

Maybe not England, but we have lost plenty of scots to Ireland who had no desire to play for us.....

I wouldn't really class that as losing them if they didn't want to be scottish anyway - their loss. The comments about scots choosing to play for england over scotland just to play in a better team if they had the choice though is an horrific thought, not just for us but for the integrity on international football, but I suppose its already in evidence with Diego Costas switch to spain.

It's something of a hypothetical as there aren't really any players that fall into the category. However, given that players generally want to compete at the highest level, I'm sure they would see England as offering that. I'd say the players who were toying with the idea of playing for Team GB at the Olympics would have been tempted had it been possible.

Souness said something to the effect of - If I'd been English, I would have had a lot more opportunities to play at the highest level.

Players are completely different to fans in their attitude to football, if they weren't they would all only ever play for the team the supported as a kid, or at least they would never play for a rival. We know this isn't the case.

It's something of a hypothetical as there aren't really any players that fall into the category. However, given that players generally want to compete at the highest level, I'm sure they would see England as offering that. I'd say the players who were toying with the idea of playing for Team GB at the Olympics would have been tempted had it been possible.

Souness said something to the effect of - If I'd been English, I would have had a lot more opportunities to play at the highest level.

Players are completely different to fans in their attitude to football, if they weren't they would all only ever play for the team the supported as a kid, or at least they would never play for a rival. We know this isn't the case.

I don't take that to mean that souness would've selected to play for england given the chance, he was merely stating a fact.

Don't agree about players attitude to playing for their country either. I believe players only really want to play for the country they grew up supporting, however due to the rulings of football, when its clear that your country aren't going to cap you, you are able to use another country as a route into international football. This is demonstrated by players such as Ritchie, Morrison, Martin and potentially Scott Arfield as well as half the irish team over the years.

Edited by Paulo2576

Can we try and go three months without another "Ireland knicked oor players waaa waaa" session please guys ?

Although they were before my time, considering the players we had available then Charlie Gallagher, Bernie Slaven and Owen Coyle were no loss to Scotland. Tommy Coyne is debatable.

Houghton and McCarthy were both big losses but they have both suggested that had Scotland called first, they would have turned out for us.

Don't think McGeady was ever going to play for us.

As it happens though, Australia, Canada and the USA have had more Scottish born internationals in their teams than Ireland ever did.

Falkirk born Johnny Moscardini won nine caps for Italy in the 1920s.

Edited by ErsatzThistle

Racist?

Behave

Unfortunately it's just the way these days.

Caulker is English but may pick Scotland cos he ain't good enough for England

Scott Arfield is Scottish but may pick Canada cos he ain't good enough for Scotland.

If you don't like it stick to club fitba.

You rightly flag up bigotry, but are happy to endorse English-born players turning out for Scotland as "c##ts". Charming.

That was not what he said. Can you read? A bit shit to be calling someone racist when that was not what they said.