The Final Humiliation Is Complete - Page 5 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Final Humiliation Is Complete

Doric

The style of play under Strachan is fine.

Even O'Neill has recognised that these days you need to play with 3 central midfielders and try to actually pass the ball, rather than the rigid 442 long-ball 'Trapattoni with a Donegal accent' stuff he started with.

Scotland's failing was in the quality of our defenders. If we'd had Ireland's back 4 we'd have qualified no problem.

This.

The margins were very fine in the group and if you guys had of held out against Germany and Poland in those 4 games you would have prob auto qualified.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same. I have always wanted Ireland to win (Appart from against us) in the past due to having an Irish father and our ineptitude v Georgia has turned me into a just another bitter football fan. Embarrassing on a national and personal level.

I may give up watching international football all together after this.

bull sh1t...

I wonder that this will reflect on the ticket prices after 9 failed campaigns in a row. Folk will surely be getting fed up espically after the last one. I am at an all time low following Scotland but will definitly keep going. The worst thing about it , it looks like we are making progress under WGS and still never made it.

Christ 9 campaigns, is it that many!? I was as disappointed as anybody after the Poland game, but think that the progress made under GS is the one crumb of comfort. If we continue that progress and/or enjoy a bit more luck, then we'll qualify again. In a way it is more heartbreaking, as we actually played well this time apart from in ONE game. I happen to think that that one terrible result was also the only bad performance of the campaign. It seems we've been incredibly unlucky, as Poland and Ireland took 3 and 4 points off of Germany respectively while both taking 6 against Georgia. I thought we controlled the game in Dublin. Some of the stuff on here is nothing short of hysteria. We are getting closer.

With Burley and Levine it felt bad because I always thought with a competent manager we would have done better. This feels worse because we now have (In my opinion) a competent manager and we were still not good enough. Ireland Away and Georgia Away are the two games that did for us. We simply are not good enough.

A win in Georgia and we would've been in the play-offs. I simply don't get the idea that we missed an opportunity in Dublin. So did Ireland surely!? A point away against a contender wasn't the result that put us out.

Non of the so called "home nations" will make the quarter finals, the standard of football has gone backwards and that is not just in Scotland but in general.

I never used to miss a game at international and club level but the dross that is out there now, I do not bother.

Unfortunately the coaching in the game today, is shite and takes away the natural ability of the kids and youths coming through, we all look a promising youngster in the U16'S or U18'S and time after time say "what happened to him" ???

I coached kids from U7 to U16 and did my coaching badge in Holland, if they have a kid who has natural ability , he is encouraged to go on and do things, he is not held back into a team that has less capable players and starts playing side ways and backward pass's, the guy who did our course was Frans Thysen who played for Ipswich town and Notts Forest in the 80's and coached the way he played.

Whats required is a coach or manager who has the imagination and time to allow the younger guys to fulfil the potential at a senior level, that they show at junior level.

I think England will almost certainly make the Quarters. I was very impressed by England at Parkhead, Wilshere especially (why he didn't play in Brazil ahead of Henderson is beyond me as he's clearly a better player), much as Scotland were bad.

Regarding cures for Scottish fitba, I'd say that a lack of protection for ball players at all levels in Scotland is part of our problem, not one of our strengths.

This is of course only my opinion and I promise that it is in no way sour grapes, but I would genuinely rather Scotland retired themselves from International football than adopted the Irish approach.

I have zero interest in watching that turgid, one dimensional shite, even if it does earn you the occasional qualification. It's a pyrrhic victory anyway. Ireland will not only be found out at the finals they will probably be summarily embarrassed the way they were the last time they qualified.

I would much rather we at least try to develop our game, even if it means continued heart break for a few years to come. Our problem is not that we don't have good defenders at the moment, or that 5 years ago we had no decent strikers etc etc. We will never have a complete crop of players to rival the big teams. Our problem is at the top and until we clear out that shower of shite, we will never improve.

Good post. I think Strachan's Scotland is the most progressive, attack-minded Scotland since Roxburgh's Scotland, which is over 20 years ago. I think Craig Brown's results at all costs approach is partly what has led to these 9 successive campaigns without qualification, along with expensive imports to the SPL. Levein wasn't much more negative than Smith or McLeish either. Just that they got some good results.

Ireland are pragmatic and play to their strengths which is why we will be decamping in our thousands in the summer to France , our defense is excellent , we have a combative midfield & genuine class in McCarthy & Hoolihan & match winners upfront in Long & Walters.

Importantly we have a rigid game plan which enables us to compete away against higher ranking teams & to win in places like Georgia , such a plan worked against Bosnia away & set the mood for last night's well executed victory in which we played some very decent football.

Let's not kid ourselves - the majority of Scottish fans would give their eye teeth to be in our position & the mode of football played to ensure such qualification would come a distant second.

Sure Poland 2012 was a disastrous campaign but we got there & the fans , myself included , had a brilliant time , roll on France.

To be fair, a couple of things I noticed watching the game the other night is that Ireland attack at greater pace than Scotland and play more aggressively than Scotland as well. I've got no wish to see Scotland playing Ireland's style though.

Hope the Irish fans have a ball next summer as I experienced nothing but kindness from their fans and the locals in general when I was over in June. Was a brilliant trip. Simply wish it was us that made it but c'est la vie.

Anybody know of a remote Hebridean island with no TV, tinternet which I can hire for the month of June......................

Good sentiments. Totally agree. :ok::cheers3:

I remember the game at home to Spain, 2-0 down and going nowhere. We then

clattered one of their midfielders, crowd reacted and our players then got seriously stuck in.

Went to 2-2 and we only lost due to terrible error.

Bring back the hard, physical approach and ditch this over passing stuff.

:lol:

It kind of makes a mockery of the old adage about the first goal being the most important when e.g. the fourth goal was incredibly important in both our games against Poland. Anyway, by my calculations, Ireland gained 6 points with late goals:

-2 points in Georgia

-1 in Germany

-1 at home to Poland

-2 at home to Germany

Scotland lost 5 points with late goals:

-1 in Germany

-2 in Poland

-2 at home to Poland

That's an 11 point swing from late goals! I agree with many other posters that late goals isn't luck as even added time is part of the 90 minutes effectively. What we can possibly read from this is that Ireland have got a very fit team and Scotland aren't as fit?, although perhaps it was simply because Scotland had put more into the games by attacking more?

Most importantly, I think anybody with a bit of common sense can see that we're not far away.

Ireland got the job done and deserve a lot of praise for bouncing back from their defeat to us at Parkhead. At that stage we were decent favorites to get the play off spot. So yes they have done well, hats off. However any Irish fan denying they got immensely lucky a number of times throughout the group is simply at it. A late wonder goal in Georgia and particularly the 2 (especially the game in Dublin) non performances from the Germans were absolutely huge for them. The world Champions barely tried a leg in that game and gifted them the 3pts.

Ireland got the job done and deserve a lot of praise for bouncing back from their defeat to us at Parkhead. At that stage we were decent favorites to get the play off spot. So yes they have done well, hats off. However any Irish fan denying they got immensely lucky a number of times throughout the group is simply at it. A late wonder goal in Georgia and particularly the 2 (especially the game in Dublin) non performances from the Germans were absolutely huge for them. The world Champions barely tried a leg in that game and gifted them the 3pts.

So late wonder goals. ...are ....lucky .. ...huh

Will fully admit germany were not at 100% against us in Dublin....but they weren't at 100% against Scotland either. .....to say that they "barely tried a leg" against us in either games against us is utter nonsense

A bit mind boggling to imply that germany tried 100% against Scotland but yet lost by only 1 goal. .....but if Ireland get anything from them .....you just assume otherwise

They gifted us 3 points.....seriously? ????

Edited by Green_Tide_Rising

Absolute bollocks that Germany didn't try a leg against us. We took points off them in not one but two games.

A 50% world cup winning Germany team that's half arsed should still put a side like us away.

We were organized, kept it tight, needed a bit of luck off course but it's a sensational achievement.

Germany missed chances in Dublin they wouldn't normally miss. We'll take that.

As for bitter brigade on here. Tough luck. I'd be embarrassed if our lot on the Irish forum were coming out with bitter posts on Scotland qualifying. I'd recommend the Tora Bora next summer if you want to avoid Euro 2016 on the box.

Absolute bollocks that Germany didn't try a leg against us. We took points off them in not one but two games.

A 50% world cup winning Germany team that's half arsed should still put a side like us away.

We were organized, kept it tight, needed a bit of luck off course but it's a sensational achievement.

Germany missed chances in Dublin they wouldn't normally miss. We'll take that.

As for bitter brigade on here. Tough luck. I'd be embarrassed if our lot on the Irish forum were coming out with bitter posts on Scotland qualifying. I'd recommend the Tora Bora next summer if you want to avoid Euro 2016 on the box.

You guys are garbage, we are even worse than you. Those are the facts and we both have lots of problems at international level and harder times are ahead.

End of.

You guys are garbage, we are even worse than you. Those are the facts and we both have lots of problems at international level and harder times are ahead.

End of.

the harder times would be easier to take if we had a tournament to go to next summer

Let's not forget our two matches against France when we had "luck".Good defending ,fighting spirit,sometimes gets the result.Ireland did the job we didn't.Everybody that was at the game in Dublin seemed to have been treated very well and had a great time,so I don't understand the bitterness from some people.

Christ 9 campaigns, is it that many!? I was as disappointed as anybody after the Poland game, but think that the progress made under GS is the one crumb of comfort. If we continue that progress and/or enjoy a bit more luck, then we'll qualify again. In a way it is more heartbreaking, as we actually played well this time apart from in ONE game.

One game? Your easily pleased.

Our last four must win matches contributed 2 points and we were second best in all of them.

You were probably a happy clapper in the Algarve with that perception.

End of.

Summed up perfectly. Would be wrong for Irish fans to think we're now a football powerhouse. Thankfully with the Euros expansion, rubbish is now able to qualify handily for the tournament.

Main difference for me between today's Ireland team vs 4 years ago is a manager who believes in them and probably one of the most tightly knit squads in Europe. No world class players just a bunch of above average mid table PL and championship players who believe in themselves. I was surprised how easily we turned over Bosnia over the two legs. Before the Germany game Ireland had not beaten a team ranked higher than them in FIFA rankings since 2001!! Crazy stat!

We managed to overcome that twice this campaign

End of.

Who can tell - there may be hard times ahead for both teams.

However we have the draw on the 12th December , the opening of the ticket portal 2 days later but most of all we have the anticipation - the thoughts of sourcing tickets , travelling with family & friends & a traditionally vibrant , peaceful army of fans , a great Tournament destination & the pride of flying your colours & flag abroad .

Footballing qualification for major competitions has always galvanised this country & the feelgood factor is huge at the moment.

Sure we may travel in hope rather than expectation but at least we will be travelling in our thousands & isn't football , to a great extent , all about anticipation & hope ?

Who can tell - there may be hard times ahead for both teams.

However we have the draw on the 12th December , the opening of the ticket portal 2 days later but most of all we have the anticipation - the thoughts of sourcing tickets , travelling with family & friends & a traditionally vibrant , peaceful army of fans , a great Tournament destination & the pride of flying your colours & flag abroad .

Footballing qualification for major competitions has always galvanised this country & the feelgood factor is huge at the moment.

Sure we may travel in hope rather than expectation but at least we will be travelling in our thousands & isn't football , to a great extent , all about anticipation & hope ?

The guy who produces tri-colour plastic hammers was in tears Monday night. Him and his family will have Disneyland booked for July...It's what qualifying is all about!! :cheers3:

End of.

Gibraltar are garbage. We're a 3rd tier average European side like yourselves. We're roughly along the same lines as Norway, Denmark, Switzerland etc etc.

Personally I don't think Scotland are worse. Much of a muchness imo.

One game? Your easily pleased.

Our last four must win matches contributed 2 points and we were second best in all of them.

You were probably a happy clapper in the Algarve with that perception.

-A point away to Ireland was a good result.

-Losing to the World champions is no shame, even at home.

-We were one kick away from beating Poland at Hampden

Yes but in your eyes Scotland are Brazil and should've taken 12 points from these games and I'm sure we would've if we'd "gone for a hard approach and ditched the over-passing" :rolleyes:

-A point away to Ireland was a good result.

-Losing to the World champions is no shame, even at home.

-We were one kick away from beating Poland at Hampden

Yes but in your eyes Scotland are Brazil and should've taken 12 points from these games and I'm sure we would've if we'd "gone for a hard approach and ditched the over-passing" :rolleyes:

You can't just highlight a positive spin on events.

What about a heavy deflection on our goal in Ireland?

What about shambles in Georgia?

What about us being outclassed by a Germany team in 3rd gear?

Non combative midfield in all four games, unable to hold possession therefore putting more pressure on our defence.

Open your eyes and stop dreaming.