The Final Humiliation Is Complete - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Final Humiliation Is Complete

Doric

The humiliation is now complete. I think this is the most embarrassed I have ever felt as a Scotland fan now that Ireland have joined the other home countrys in the finals. The SFA will now wait till the membership renewals are full up before ripping us off again with the ticket prices for the next campaign. The next seven months is going to be hell for us beginning with the draw.

Edited by Doric

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel the same. I have always wanted Ireland to win (Appart from against us) in the past due to having an Irish father and our ineptitude v Georgia has turned me into a just another bitter football fan. Embarrassing on a national and personal level.

I may give up watching international football all together after this.

Edited by kmcca5

I wonder that this will reflect on the ticket prices after 9 failed campaigns in a row. Folk will surely be getting fed up espically after the last one. I am at an all time low following Scotland but will definitly keep going. The worst thing about it , it looks like we are making progress under WGS and still never made it.

Edited by Doric

Despite our failure to qualify being confirmed some weeks ago the way Ireland won tonight with relative ease has reopened the wounds. It really is a crushing disappointment to see them and the other 'home' nations all make it leaving us to watch on TV. I just can't shake the feeling we were exceptionally unlucky how things panned out this time. An extremely tough group given how others panned out, late goals that went against us in a number of the fixtures and of course one dismal performance proving so costly.

The galling thing is that realistically it's very difficult to imagine us qualifying for the World Cup given how much more difficult that is to achieve. It would be typical

Scotland to play really well and pip Slovakia and Slovenia to 2nd and then find ourselves up against a giant in the play offs. There won't be the mediocre teams witnessed in the Euro play offs in the World Cup play offs.

The reality is that we are highly likely to be waiting until 2018-19 and the next European Championships for a decent chance to qualify. These of course are the centenary championships where there are 13 host nations. The qualification for that is a quite incredibly convoluted format and could if I have read it correctly involve as many as 6 games in the UEFA Nations Cup, 10 games in Euro 2020 qualifiers and 3 games in the Nations Cup Divisional play offs!!! All played between September 2018 and March 2019. You just know Scotland will find a way to put us through the most agony.

* one thing I noticed reading about the qualification format for 2020 is that one of the bottom ranked 12 teams in Nations Cup (i.e. a team that would be in pot 5 or 6 in a normal draw) is guaranteed a place at 2020.

Edited by Hendricks

With the huge amounts of lost revenue from another championship free summer don't bet against the ticket prices being high. My suspicion is they will make the less attractive home games like Lithuania and certainly Malta cheaper for individual game purchases but recoup with high prices for the England game. It will be interesting to see how they put the ST together.

Edited by Hendricks

Despite our failure to qualify being confirmed some weeks ago the way Ireland won tonight with relative ease has reopened the wounds. It really is a crushing disappointment to see them and the other 'home' nations all make it leaving us to watch on TV. I just can't shake the feeling we were exceptionally unlucky how things panned out this time. An extremely tough group given how others panned out, late goals that went against us in a number of the fixtures and of course one dismal performance proving so costly.

Conceding late goals is not down to luck.

Long time lurker...finally deciding to post.

Last night watching the Irish qualify was as the O/P said, the final kick in the nuts. Left me deeply angry at how far we have now fallen.

Spent a while talking to a fellow TA member online who hasn't missed a competitive game away in 8 years and says he will now be picking and choosing his matches and can no longer justify the expense. Certainly neither of us has any real interest in watching the Euros, our club's pre season summer friendlies will be of more interest TBH.

We will be at least 20 years from France 98 till we have a realistic chance of qualifying again and I'm gutted about that.

Long time lurker...finally deciding to post.

Last night watching the Irish qualify was as the O/P said, the final kick in the nuts. Left me deeply angry at how far we have now fallen.

Spent a while talking to a fellow TA member online who hasn't missed a competitive game away in 8 years and says he will now be picking and choosing his matches and can no longer justify the expense. Certainly neither of us has any real interest in watching the Euros, our club's pre season summer friendlies will be of more interest TBH.

We will be at least 20 years from France 98 till we have a realistic chance of qualifying again and I'm gutted about that.

very much this. Cant see me going to any friendlies and will, for the first time pick and choose what home qualifiers I will go to.

Supposedly Regan is asking the Icelandic FA over to ask how they can produce players and we can. Ask due respect to Iceland, but that's embarrassing that a country that hasn't got one professional club can have the answer and our lot hasn't figured it out yet.

Edited by Bobby Russell's Lovechild

On a personal level I feel sicker today than I did after Georgia.

Last night I couldnt bare to watch, waited till after FT before even checking the score.

Well done to Ireland by the way, credit where its due.

The pain of not getting there is enough but its the fact watching home nations and not so home nations if you like getting there, and the enjoyment they are gonna have next year if any of us can even bare to put the box on.

Then theres the pain of thinking are they actually better than us? Northern Ireland? No disrespect but no they ain't pure and simple. Ireland? Level with us AT BEST. Gareth Bales? On recent performances ofcourse. Minus him? Average, every bit as average as us.

Not too mention the other so called "WEE" teams that will be competeing.

I spent a small fortune on Euro finals tickets in the hope that I'd get lucky and have tickets for one of our games. Do I get rid of them or head over there and suffer the embarrasment still further? Time will tell.

Bottom line? All part of being a Scotland fan.

On a side issue RoI is not a 'home' nation - it is as much a foreign nation as France. Pisses me off that the BBC treat it as such.

Not strictly true. Under the 1949 Ireland Act, the Republic of Ireland is not treated as a foreign country.

The real reason why they get sports coverage is because there are a large number of Irish and Irish descendants in the UK.

With Burley and Levine it felt bad because I always thought with a competent manager we would have done better. This feels worse because we now have (In my opinion) a competent manager and we were still not good enough. Ireland Away and Georgia Away are the two games that did for us. We simply are not good enough.

Edited by kmcca5

We need to sort our defence out first and foremost, that's what's cost us more than anything, hold out twice against Poland and we finish second, regardless of other results.

I'm fed up that every time we fail the media and fans onslaught of demanding change at youth level is what's trotted out. No doubt that needs done but it's a completely different debate IMO. What have Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic done differently at youth level that helped them qualify this time? Nothing whatsoever would be the answer. There all bit on a solid defence and until we get back to that, the need to score one more than our opponents will only go so far as it has, as was proven in the last few games.

Craig Brown spoke on Radio Scotland at the weekend about how he was slaughtered for being defensive but yet always played with two strikers and yet now that for the first time in decades we're actually capable of scoring goals we are utter gash at the back. Apart from Russell Martin (at a push) would any of our central defenders get in the 3 squads above? Probably not, given the centre half's they all have available.

I'm all for GS staying but we need to play as many games as possible between now and September to try sort our defence out, try the lad Cooper form Leeds for a start. Try different systems if needed. The Dutch didn't faff about and wait because of moral, the got right back on it. My concern is we play 2 maybe 3 games before September with no real difference. I'd like to see us play that in May/June alone and one in March,

The galling thing is that realistically it's very difficult to imagine us qualifying for the World Cup given how much more difficult that is to achieve. It would be typical

Scotland to play really well and pip Slovakia and Slovenia to 2nd and then find ourselves up against a giant in the play offs. There won't be the mediocre teams witnessed in the Euro play offs in the World Cup play offs.

The reality is that we are highly likely to be waiting until 2018-19 and the next European Championships for a decent chance to qualify. These of course are the centenary championships where there are 13 host nations. The qualification for that is a quite incredibly convoluted format and could if I have read it correctly involve as many as 6 games in the UEFA Nations Cup, 10 games in Euro 2020 qualifiers and 3 games in the Nations Cup Divisional play offs!!! All played between September 2018 and March 2019. You just know Scotland will find a way to put us through the most agony.

* one thing I noticed reading about the qualification format for 2020 is that one of the bottom ranked 12 teams in Nations Cup (i.e. a team that would be in pot 5 or 6 in a normal draw) is guaranteed a place at 2020.

In the meantime we can acquire valuable ranking points which will help us get an easier group in the future.

We need to improve defensively. The Irish never lost more than one goal a game apart from the final match in Warsaw when it didn't really matter.

Craig Brown was saying the other day when we qualified for Euro 96 and France 98 we only lost 3 goals in the whole group both times!

We need to improve defensively. The Irish never lost more than one goal a game apart from the final match in Warsaw when it didn't really matter.

Craig Brown was saying the other day when we qualified for Euro 96 and France 98 we only lost 3 goals in the whole group both times!

Last night was also the first time since Georgia away (Gibraltar excluded) that they scored more than 1 goal in a game as well.