Abelio - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Generally hassle free" is not a description I recognise - if it was actually was I might find it more appealing. I can't actually remember a train journey I would describe as hassle free. :unsure:

Driving is pretty hassle free for me and enjoyable - even the hassle free train journeys I wouldn't describe as enjoyable but I suppose if people don't like driving maybe they do enjoy trains :unsure:

I suppose it's all about what you enjoy most.

I don't particularly enjoy driving (especially long drives), and I find Scotland's cities ever more of a nightmare to drive into.

You could be sitting in your car at the Garthdee roundabout, and I would just be getting on the train at Stonehaven, and I bet you I'd be sitting waiting for you for a coffee in Union Square.... :wink2:

I don't particularly enjoy driving (especially long drives), and I find Scotland's cities ever more of a nightmare to drive into.

You could be sitting in your car at the Garthdee roundabout, and I would just be getting on the train at Stonehaven, and I bet you I'd be sitting waiting for you for a coffee in Union Square.... :wink2:

Aye, you'd be waiting for her because you couldn't afford a coffee having spent all your money on a ticket.

Over 8000 recently applied for the 300 train driver jobs they are creating over the next three years. Think that was in the main due to them advertising the full salary package which after 6 months training is >24K and once training is comple 18 months after that the package is between 42 and 44K. Not too shabby. Someone i know currently training says it's the hardest job in the world to get into but by all accounts the easiest job to lose!!!

No surprise to discover internal applications will fill many of these vacancies.

One SPAD [ signal passed at danger ] and you are in big trouble.

No surprise to discover internal applications will fill many of these vacancies.

Social life would be cattled as well - a heavy session on Saturday and you could still be dodgy for starting a shift Monday morning. Trying to arrange racing away days would be a nightmare with the shift pattern.

Why would any driver do that though? Unless they have fallen asleep? In which case they should be sacked. It's not like they have much else to do. they start the train, stop it, control the speed. They don't even have to steer the thing. they should have plenty time to look out for signals.

Why would any driver do that though? Unless they have fallen asleep? In which case they should be sacked. It's not like they have much else to do. they start the train, stop it, control the speed. They don't even have to steer the thing. they should have plenty time to look out for signals.

I suppose sat there with little to do, it could be quite easy to drift off into a world of your own....

You would be on your own not because I was late but because I was in the Bon Accord Centre - Union Square Costa is shit ;)

The opposite of being a school teacher then.

:lol:

I considered applying, as medium to long term it looked quite attractive, and everything in told suggests they are good to work for (as far as pay, pensions and benefits go).

I stuck in an application (can't stand my current job) but I haven't heard back, not even something to say thanks but no thanks, but I am taking it as read that I haven't been successful.

I'm not sure sure I would want to be on a train driven by me though, so in that sense it's maybe a good thing.

I stuck in an application (can't stand my current job) but I haven't heard back, not even something to say thanks but no thanks, but I am taking it as read that I haven't been successful.

I'm not sure sure I would want to be on a train driven by me though, so in that sense it's maybe a good thing.

With shifts you would probably miss a number of games at Firhill - however, there are probably downsides to the job as well.

Let me guess, you hate Union Square too? :lol:

Nope :) just the Costa in it.

Think they did a cracking job of incorporating the railway station and the frontage looks great. The back but could have done with a bit more imagination but well you can't have everything.

It is great that the bus station is also there and it makes travelling by public transport at least more inviting when it comes for waiting for it

Edited by Lamia

With shifts you would probably miss a number of games at Firhill - however, there are probably downsides to the job as well.

You're right - depending on the shift pattern I might be able to attend mid-week fixtures instead.

Sounds like I've dodged a bullet there.

Edited by scotlad