Abelio - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

That said I've come across some really helpful and friendly train staff in my time.

On the few occasions I travel by train I have noticed how lovely the trolley staff are. So cheery and it must be a shit job with shit pay!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try commuting in London and the South East of England if you want to experience an overpriced and under- resourced rail network.

To get into London Paddington from where I live costs £21.30 for a peak day return. That's just a standard rail return, if you want to add a travel card onto that it'll be £27.30.

It's roughly equivalent in both distance and time to a journey from Kilmarnock to Glasgow for which the equivalent cost is £10-30.

For that it'll be a train that will be crammed full and will most likely be delayed.

Fares are based on distance travelled not journey time.

Fares are based on a magical pricing system akin to how QI allocates points.

Dundee to Glasgow is always more expensive that Dundee to Perth, and then Perth to Glasgow, despite it being the same train. Theres no logic to their pricing system.

Edited by kumnio

Fares are based on a magical pricing system akin to how QI allocates points.

Dundee to Glasgow is always more expensive that Dundee to Perth, and then Perth to Glasgow, despite it being the same train. Theres no logic to their pricing system.

It's based on the "how much can we rip them off" principle.

Aberdeen to Glasgow or Edinburgh is roughly the same distance, yet it's always cheaper to Edinburgh where there's a choice of 3 different train companies.

If only you could figure out why...

They don't help themselves...

- no groupsave when football is on

- poorly communicated station announcements

- extortionate pricing

That said I've come across some really helpful and friendly train staff in my time.

Some people who get the train actually lower the overall experience more than the operator does to be fair. Folk who pile their bags on seats in the hope no one sits beside them.... I deliberately sit beside those people :lol:

You get Friends Fare between Glasgow -Aberdeen/Inverness and Edinburgh - Aberdeen/Inverness (£48.80) and Aberdeen - Inverness

Try commuting in London and the South East of England if you want to experience an overpriced and under- resourced rail network.

To get into London Paddington from where I live costs £21.30 for a peak day return. That's just a standard rail return, if you want to add a travel card onto that it'll be £27.30.

Aye, but you Judas kents get paid big money.

Find one.

First random date I tried was Saturday 16th January Gla-Abe and there are lots of fares on that day

Remember train fares can booked 12 weeks in advance so to get the possible fare you have to get on between 12-11 weeks in advance,obviously no use if you want to rock up or decide a few days before.

I got Gla-Lon £137.50 1st class single for me,missus and the under 5 in Feb tonight.I can't go sitting in coach with the poor people.

Finally, is someone at Network Rail playing train Tetris? Plenty of empty bays but they'll often insist on putting the train I'm on at the end of platform 10 with two trains already parked in front, meaning a 0.2 mile walk (from Tradeston basically) just to get to the barriers (I've measured it!)

Ah the dreaded departure from the front of platform 10. Usually happens when you arrive at Central with two minutes until departure.

It really should have another platform number.

In fact did it in the past? :/

Unless like the conductor and ticket inspectors they're on commission, though most I've encountered don't act as if they are.

Not sure, I was a ticket inspector (at Paisley train station) and was on nearly 9.50 / hr and that was 2007, for what I was doing it was good money, from what I gathered it was similar across the company

You're getting a boat from Belfast to Aberdeen? :shocked: Does that no take aboot 2 days?

"Cairnryan".

Don't suppose you know if it's possible to sneak off to Stranraer for 90 minutes then getting back on the "bus" to Ayr?

I ain't buying desperate tickets.

Belfast to Aberdeen = £41

Stranraer to Aberdeen = £92.20