Wanky Phrases - Page 15 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Wanky Phrases

If you name specific districts of a town / city most non locals won't have a clue - I've lived in the *cough* Southside since 1990s and met a chap in the Georgic last Saturday - he told me he lived in Eastwood and I'd no idea where it was (only found out recently where Netherburn was and it's about a mile from where a live).

So you agree south side is just silly :P

Sorry to all folks who came on for wanky phrases and got geography discussions.

It's been said but no one is from the northside

And how is south a side? But east and west are ends?

Yay, thats the very one :lol:

It's just a part of Airdrie where they seem to get an extra foot of snow.

That line definitely has a lot of semi-made-up place names as there are so many stops in Coatbridge. Speaking of which, Coatbridge must have the highest train stops per head of population outside of a city.

Coatbridge Central

Coatbridge Sunnyside

Coatdyke

Whifflet

Kirkwood

Blairhill

It's just a part of Airdrie where they seem to get an extra foot of snow.

That line definitely has a lot of semi-made-up place names as there are so many stops in Coatbridge. Speaking of which, Coatbridge must have the highest train stops per head of population outside of a city.

Coatbridge Central

Coatbridge Sunnyside

Coatdyke

Whifflet

Kirkwood

Blairhill

It's Greenock with nine.

Everyday is a school day!* I had no idea there were 9 train stations in Greenock.

*is that a wanky phrase?

The one about the world getting smaller is more of a cliche surely? I kind of get it though, as with Skype and the likes you can talk face to face to someone in Australia or whatever, and travel is cheaper and easier than ever.

No, but 'train station' definitely is :wink2: . That grinds my gears - another wanky phrase.

Where are you with 'track' for race course (as in the nags)?

It's just that I used it in an e-conversation with you once and it's been preying on my mind ever since....

You have said that before, why?

Don't really know why it irritates me but it was always 'railway station' - just sounds much better than 'train station' (er, to me anyway).

Edit: Did a quick search and found this - I don't take it this seriously -

http://www.grumpyoldsod.com/railway%20station.asp

Edited by Charlie Endell

Went for a pint in York Railway station, and at the table next to me the guy was having a rant about "the young ones these days" and it appeared the best example he could give of the poor language skills of the "texting generation" was calling a railway station a train station.

It was the first I'd ever known folk took issue with it!

When I first saw a road sign for Bonkle some years back it drew a laugh.

Dykehead sounds like an insult that'd be the starting point for a fight in a kebab shop.

Dykehead is just a 'quartier' of Shotts. I never understood why the pipe band separated them. It's Shotts pipe band! Edited by thewelk