How Many Years? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

How Many Years?

McExpat

I reckon we have a better chance in the away game than the home game - for some reason I can't explain. Maybe because we'll set up to smash and grab. I think we could beat every side in our group in a one-off game.

well we did better last time at wembley than last time at hampden -and also in those play-offs

sooner or later we are going to take some serious points off a top seed and I don;t see why it shouldn't be England - local derby being a leveller and all that

Slovakia - I just can't help thinking they are, like many of us, a smallish nation who can only keep up a good show for a limited period and sooner or later will enter decline

Looking back, both Poland and Ireland exploited German weaknesses, with hindsight we could have done better in that first game - if I recall the goals conceded were soft - sooner or later Slovakia have to slip up and it's our job to press an advantage

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lets be realistic england will walk the group and it would take an exceptional effort to finish second and not be the worst second place team, and then we would have to play a seeded 2nd place team. lets be honest the odds would be over 20/1 for that to happen. we arent qualifiying for it, out best players are approaching the twilight of their years and bar a couple of decent youngsters their isnt anything better than middle of the road english premiership team players coming through. maybe we will have a decent shot at the next euros which will be a crap fan experience with the games being spread about europe like club european football or the qualification games you've just had to play what a load of shite that is.

Edited by LewisEDI

When was the last time we had a decent u-21 team?

91/92? Got to semis of euro championships (they were home and away legs then).

Had the likes of Paul Lambert, Eoin Jess, Duncan Ferguson, Stephen Fulton, Stephen Wright, Scott Booth, Phil O'Donnell.

Four years later we were in the Euros and World Cup.

In fairness, our current crop ain't bad. Paterson, Christie, Cummings, Gauld, Nicholson, Fraser.

We seen the World Cup as the prime target and used the Euro Qualifiers to get ready for WC qualifiers

Not qualifying for the Euros didnt bother us in the 70s and 80s

Again whit???

Speak for yourself Ally. It feckin bothered me!!

When you look at our World Cup campaign, Scotland have actually got a great chance to finish 2nd. We could have got France and Italy as 2nd seeds but got Slovakia. The other three Slovenia, Lithuania and Malta should really be winnable. If not 2nd, I don't see why we can't qualify for 2020 by finishing in the top 3 with a more favourable draw. Don't think it's all doom and gloom. Looking forward to the next 2 campaigns.

Again whit???

Speak for yourself Ally. It feckin bothered me!!

No .. not us

The SFA, Scottish Management and media

Our performances and results in the Euro qualifiers were night and day to those in World Cup qualifiers

Rightly or wrongly it seemed to not be taken as seriously

Leaving aside coefficient damage you could argue that trying to qualify for both tournaments over 4 years has cost us in qualifying for any

Edited by Ally Bongo

In my lifetime there have been 25 major finals. Apart from a purple patch between 1974 and 1998 (during which even then we only qualified for 8 out of 13 tournaments) we haven't qualified for a single one. 8 qualifications out of 25 in my 49 year life.

People need to get real. It's not about accepting defeat it's about accepting the inevitable. We'll qualify for one or two tournaments again in the future just like we get the occasional surprises like Latvia, Iceland, Wales etc.

Because of the changes to football across the board, international football really reflects club football. It's no surprise that the same countries who dominate club football, dominate international football too. It's all about the money.

No .. not us

The SFA, Scottish Management and media

Our performances and results in the Euro qualifiers were night and day to those in World Cup qualifiers

Rightly or wrongly it seemed to not be taken as seriously

Leaving aside coefficient damage you could argue that trying to qualify for both tournaments over 4 years has cost us in qualifying for any

Sorry Ally. Simply don't agree with that. I don't believe 11 players ever walk onto a park not arsed if they win or not.

In my lifetime there have been 25 major finals. Apart from a purple patch between 1974 and 1998 (during which even then we only qualified for 8 out of 13 tournaments) we haven't qualified for a single one. 8 qualifications out of 25 in my 49 year life.

People need to get real. It's not about accepting defeat it's about accepting the inevitable. We'll qualify for one or two tournaments again in the future just like we get the occasional surprises like Latvia, Iceland, Wales etc.

Because of the changes to football across the board, international football really reflects club football. It's no surprise that the same countries who dominate club football, dominate international football too. It's all about the money.

The likelihood however is that in Iceland's case it will not be a one off

We deserve a ruling body like they have

Sorry Ally. Simply don't agree with that. I don't believe 11 players ever walk onto a park not arsed if they win or not.

Its not about being arsed - it's about possibly being more "up" for one than the other

Added to that is team selection - trying new players & different formations/tactics etc (yeah we used to be able to do that)

thanks.

I would say we can get 3 points off england over 2 games - as we did in the play-offs

bit of a different story back then was (assume you are on about '99)

beating them 1-0 @ wemblee wasn't 3 points, was more like winning the second half of a game 1-0, after going down 2-0 in first half - i.e. in the end pretty meaningless

we will be lucky to get a single draw over the 2 games this time

When you look at our World Cup campaign, Scotland have actually got a great chance to finish 2nd. We could have got France and Italy as 2nd seeds but got Slovakia. The other three Slovenia, Lithuania and Malta should really be winnable. If not 2nd, I don't see why we can't qualify for 2020 by finishing in the top 3 with a more favourable draw. Don't think it's all doom and gloom. Looking forward to the next 2 campaigns.

We're not consistent enough though. We very rarely get two wins on the trot

Problem being 2nd won't see us qualify and will likely see us come up against a team of the calibre of Italy and France in the play offs. As it's all about qualification I'm not optimistic and therefore not looking forward to the campaign from that perspective.

So the suggestion / argument is to pick qualifying for one or the other, over a 4 year spell and in doing so we would have a better chance of qualifying? This is ridiculous! Morale and motivation of all inolved would be at an all time low, just imagine the call offs, the attendances etc

Aiming to qualify for a tournament every 2 years, over such a long period of time, as have with each campaign, should not be seen as overdemanding, nor overexpectant.

Just had a look through our qualifying campaigns back to 1996 and here's a few things I've gathered.

In 1996 and 1998 when we qualified for these major tournaments, we averaged 2.3 points per game. We were in pots 3 and 2 respectively so there aren't any excuses on that basis. Since then however we have only averaged 2 points per game in one campaign which was the euro 2008 qualifying campaign which included Italy and France.

In the last 4 qualifying campaigns the highest points per game average we have achieved is 1.5 Ppg which was the campaign just ended. Who knows maybe the qualifying campaigns for 2010, 2012, and 2014 were the dark days and we may be slowly rising from it.

the average points per game we achieve doesn't really seem to differ too much with pot places. Since 1996 we've averaged 1.8 PPG when in pot 1, 1.8 PPG when in pot 2, 1.66 PPG when in pot 3, and 1.53 PPG when in pot 4.

I thought the decline may have been down to increased competition over the years with the introduction of new members but there's not really an argument for that. Since we last qualified in 1998 Yugoslavia have been replaced by Serbia and Montenegro, and Kazakhstan, Andorra and Gibralter (euros only) have been added.

The data suggests we will get 17 points in the next campaign, which is probably border line play off place.

Its not about being arsed - it's about possibly being more "up" for one than the other

Added to that is team selection - trying new players & different formations/tactics etc (yeah we used to be able to do that)

The Euros were the international equivalent of the league cup, but have now achieved parity with the World Cup.

I thank you

Was point I was trying to make in another thread

And the point I was trying make was that they achieved that parity before the 90s. 84 at the latest I'd say, arguably 1980.

I accept that before 1980 they were small beer. In fact I think there was only 4 finalists.

A straw poll of panini albums of euro 80 v WC 82 may prove that theory incorrect

I still feel 96 being a watershed

Am convinced lots of jump on the bandwagon flag wavers knew not of the tourney existence until then

How many Scorland fans at Italy 90

- 15-20k ?

Euro 92

5-10k ?

I understand there was still tix on sale for euro 96 for our games also

You could argue that we’re essentially like Drew Jarvie and Kenny McDowell fighting over an afro comb here but……

I honestly have no idea how many Scotland fans travelled to these tournaments, but given that prior to 1992 absolutely zero Scotland fans travelled to a Euro finals, I’m not sure how that devalues the standing of the tournament as a whole. Is it maybe not just the case that we showed less interest until we actually qualified? That would seem to make more sense. Doesn’t mean the tournament had any less prominence before we qualified.

Euro 88 was massive. Both in a football and media sense. Ireland and England qualifying, England getting booted out in the group stage, the birth of that great Dutch team, Van Basten’s goal etc etc.

84 the same with the great French team. It definitely had less prominence in the UK because nobody qualified, but that doesn’t mean it was the same across Europe.

I expect your 1980 vs 1982 Panini sticker album comment is valid, but prior to 1980 I was only really aware of the 1978 sticker album, would we have been interested if we hadn’t qualified? I doubt it.

Edited by Marky