Should Strach Stay? Poll? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Should Strach Stay? Poll?

weekevie04

He will stay till a new contract allows him a big pay off.

The least among us running football in our country will gladly give him one : They themselves are chancers.
Charles Green & Craig White can only wonder how Regan & Doncaster can achieve 'legally', what they only managed underhand.

His press conferences are embarrasingly cringeworthy. But that goes for a lot of managers in Scotland.
They seem to wallow in their crudeness.Egged on by the low minded media.
The media are a lot to blame - being mostly provocative in trying to create a story, rather than proper reporting.

imo It started with some hopeful performance , then it was back to our usual.
no one seems to remember that against Gibraltar we didnt look that great; wore them down by atrition & allowed them to score ,they were unlucky with a few more chances too.

I like others think he should be tyring out players who wouldnt be his choice - but would easily make an Iceland team who are properly managed.

our whole system needs repairing

sorry if it seems a bit ranty.

Of course he must stay.

Take away the Georgia away game (which was shocking) and there was not all that much to complain about.

Those that go out of there way to find something to complain about should be realistic about our squad and what the last couple of managers were able to produce.

You can't just "take away the Georgia away game" though as it was a shockingly poor result. We lost to a team more than a 100 places below us in the rankings and the worst of it is that at no point did we look like winning it. His team selection and tactics on that day cost us a play off spot, pure and simple.

I also don't think you can say there wasn't much to complain about. We beat both Ireland and Georgia at home by the smallest of margins and laboured to a 1-1 in Dublin. We also squandered winning positions against Poland twice so I'd flip your comment on it's head and say there actually wasn't that much to be happy about other than the improvement in the quality of the football we've been playing. The disappointing results have continued from the previous regime.

Well well, win one game that matters and the SFA gushing to keep him.

Any other business he would be told that "as current incumbent he is being considered".

Open up job to applicants and there could be a few quality people interested.

SFA treating him like he is something special [

Well well, win one game that matters and the SFA gushing to keep him.

Any other business he would be told that "as current incumbent he is being considered".

Open up job to applicants and there could be a few quality people interested.

SFA treating him like he is something special [

This. And quite frankly, if he's "undecided" he can fcuk off now. He failed, pure and simple. He should be knocking Regan's door down begging to stay. All this hysteria in the press and rolling out of ex players grovelling to get him to stay on is embarrassing.

We gave Levein £700k to fk up 2 campaigns, im happy Strachan is a better manager. I have a few problems with him but recent history shows it could be a lot worse. Is that accepting mediocrity? I guess it is.

Of course he must stay.

Take away the Georgia away game (which was shocking) and there was not all that much to complain about.

Those that go out of there way to find something to complain about should be realistic about our squad and what the last couple of managers were able to produce.

if your playing that game take away the two games against Gibraltar we won only two games.

As i,ve said previously it depends how you measure improvement,better standard of football or qualifying.I suspect many would prefer the latter

Not fussed one way or the other with Strachanl .

Edited by Langtonian

The more I reflect on the overall campaign, the more undecided I am towards a change, which is quite a leap from being staunchly in favour of Strachan staying a few days ago. I don't think it can be disputed that we have improved since he took over however the same old deficiencies remain, both in terms of quality on the pitch and mentally. We play reasonably well against the big guns (but generally lose) and struggle against apparently inferior teams (Gibraltar aside, who are completely hopeless) and are always prone to throwing in a nightmare against the likes of Georgia (again), Belarus, the Faroes etc. Quite simply, similar sized nations to us, such as Ireland don't do that. Barring one draw against Liechtenstein and a last minute winner against San Marino, I can't recall Ireland ever blowing it to the degree that we always do. Our home record, once proud, is average at best these days too.

If Strachan is to stay, then he has a year to start introducing youngsters to the fold prior to the world cup qualifiers because surely the likes of Hutton, Brown, Darren Fletcher etc. can't go again? That said, I heard that the under 21s were awful the other day too so goodness knows where he'll get the players from. Arrange a few friendlies and start experimenting a bit because something needs to change on the playing front if not necessarily in the dugout.

Personally, I think he'll go.

Edited by thewolf_1980

The more I reflect on the overall campaign, the more undecided I am towards a change, which is quite a leap from being staunchly in favour of Strachan staying a few days ago. I don't think it can be disputed that we have improved since he took over however the same old deficiencies remain, both in terms of quality on the pitch and mentally. We play reasonably well against the big guns (but generally lose) and struggle against apparently inferior teams (Gibraltar aside, who are completely hopeless) and are always prone to throwing in a nightmare against the likes of Georgia (again), Belarus, the Faroes etc. Quite simply, similar sized nations to us, such as Ireland don't do that. Barring one draw against Liechtenstein and a last minute winner against San Marino, I can't recall Ireland ever blowing it to the degree that we always do. Our home record, once proud, is average at best these days too.

If Strachan is to stay, then he has a year to start introducing youngsters to the fold prior to the world cup qualifiers because surely the likes of Hutton, Brown, Darren Fletcher etc. can't go again? That said, I heard that the under 21s were awful the other day too so goodness knows where he'll get the players from. Arrange a few friendlies and start experimenting a bit because something needs to change on the playing front if not necessarily in the dugout.

Personally, I think he'll go.

In defence of the under 21 players, Sbragia isn't a manager

Dunno. Still think he bottled it in too many away games.

Really?

Germany - we gave a good account of ourselves and could have nicked a point. Not sure we could have done much more.

Poland - We had more of the ball and their equaliser was a great little goal during a period in which we attacking, looking for a 3rd.

Ireland - Their goals was offside and they should have had 10 men. We weren't great thru-out, but the officials dropped us points.

Georgia - Rank.

Gibraltar - 0:6.

So unless by 'too many' you just meant one, I can't really agree with you.

Stay but the honeymoon is certainly over.

Shame our venture with 'exotic' managers failed so terribly with Berti. I do miss Levien's attention to the bigger picture in Scotland. But the difference in the actual squad and performance is night and day. Granted results haven't helped. But do you think Scotland under Strachan would have pipped Cezch Rep. - I think so. Do you think we'd have pipped Croatia? We would have competed... but probably not. Scotland have to maintain the best we form available, and we will qualify for a tournament eventually, but nothing can be taken for granted, like so many fans did this campaign.

Either that or the SFA need to really rip up the current format for Scotland.

Look at the state of our national league right now, over the past five years we've had some serious problems from clubs (Rangers, Hearts, Hibs) which are generally supplying the national side, albeit brought upon themselves. But when they clean their act up and stabalise (which looks like they are doing) then we will get a little boost. Granted we wont do an Iceland without serious reform, but it's a difficult time to be a scottish football fan.

I don't think we will qualify for any major tournament in the next decade, no matter who the manager is. Our players simply aren't good enough. They are not strong enough physically or mentally. Their skill levels are below average for European teams and their tactical awareness is awful.

I don't think it makes much difference whether he stays or goes.