The Tartan Army Are In Danger Of "celebrating Failure" - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

The Tartan Army Are In Danger Of "celebrating Failure"

McExpat

If fans stay away will our team improve. No of course it won't. It's different from a club team .we are all there because we love scotland. Sure I agree the sfa are mote than useless. But I was applauding the guys chosen to represent us and whilst they let themselves down in the Georgia game. They did try there best. And for that I will applaud them. willie Miller and the rest of the media whanks.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strachan has had an easy time of it. I am glad the " media" are now asking questions.

Four crucial games and we were dominated in all of them. He and the team screwed up.

OK let him try again but I cannot get my head around applauding him and a team of "also rans".

Strachan has had an easy time of it. I am glad the " media" are now asking questions.

Four crucial games and we were dominated in all of them. He and the team screwed up.

OK let him try again but I cannot get my head around applauding him and a team of "also rans".

????????

I think you are both missing the points being made by ex players and some fans. Its all very well following your team but the impression the support in Faro gave to Strachan was that this campaign was acceptable, it may not be what some intended but that's what is being perceived. Strachan himself has said that the fans in Faro were applauding the players efforts. I would have preferred it if a journalist who doesn't have his nose up Strachan's arse asked where these so called efforts were in Georgia and Ireland because I failed to see any of it.

You failed to see effort v Iteland ?

Some punters argue the tactics/formation away to Ireland was negative / set out for a draw

- they were there for the taking

- same team that beat Germany there and drew with Poland

Our win at patkhead was a job well done but anything but convincing

Only lack of effort tho for me was away to Georgia

nobody asked you to boo them, applauding them has given the manager, players and SFA the impression that with the fans all is well. I won't hold much hope for seeing the last of certain players because Strachan is too loyal.

So will we just stand in silence?

I agree time for sone to go, but maybe they deserved a clap for putting in the effort over the years too.

We were not far away from success. Ultimately failed but we are not the hopeless outfit some of the drama Queens are making out. Yes call me a saddo who accepts failure. But I have no choice unless I be like one of the saddos who go and support England ireland or n ireland from this country.

I found it amusing that one of the biggest cheers of the night, in Faro, was when they announced over the tannoy a crowd of over 12,000. It was as though the fans were applauding themselves for turning up, which, to be fair, is more than the players had done in Georgia.

I can understand that folk will want to renew their memberships so that they can continue to get tickets for away games. Boycotting away games doesn't hurt the SFA. I can't remember the last home game I missed, but I'm seriously considering avoiding homes games until I start seeing some improvement. I'll probably still go to a few away games now and then just to keep my points up in case we ever do qualify. Aye right.

If everyone opted for a pick-up on away tickets, it would hurt them. Whatever the charge is (I'm guessing £1/2) for postage over the cost of a stamp [you can tell I don't order my own tickets, eh] plus the hassle of having to set up proper pick up points wherever the game was. Araseache for the fans for a campaign, probably, but would definitely be noticed.

I like the idea of everyone handing back the membership, but the only way it can be done fairly is to carry over the points accrued pre-boycott once we all rejoin - no way any of the high-pointers are going to risk what they've 'worked' for.

Arsehole comments from Miller

Our decline over the years has all to do with the fans. Would I have clapped after faro? Not sure but don't blame anyone who did.

The players and management team will know they've failed this campaign. 2nd or 3rd was well within our reach but we dropped points we shouldn't have and Ireland did brilliantly to take 4 from Germany and even if don't appreciate their brand of football fully deserved 3rd.

Doubt we'll qualify for 2018 but it won't be the fans fault

We were not far away from success. Ultimately failed but we are not the hopeless outfit some of the drama Queens are making out. Yes call me a saddo who accepts failure. But I have no choice unless I be like one of the saddos who go and support England ireland or n ireland from this country.

Nobody said we were hopeless and nobody said you were a saddo, if anything it's you who is being a drama queen with these comments. We've been not far away for almost two decades now, maybe it's time we realised we are doing it wrong instead of hiding behind the glorious failure tag or saying we are nearly there.

I get that it's hard for some to take criticism as fans but the recent media comments are totally valid as far as I'm concerned. I'm all for us having a good time at matches but the impression we give off is that we are happy to be nearly men. I'm not saying that's the case but it is the impression being given.

[quote name="ParisInAKilt" post="229955" timestamp="1445389817"

Arsehole comments from Miller

Our decline over the years has all to do with the fans. Would I have clapped after faro? Not sure but don't blame anyone who did.

The players and management team will know they've failed this campaign. 2nd or 3rd was well within our reach but we dropped points we shouldn't have and Ireland did brilliantly to take 4 from Germany and even if don't appreciate their brand of football fully deserved 3rd.

Doubt we'll qualify for 2018 but it won't be the fans fault

It' does have something to do with the fans but it'd be stupid to lay the entire blame on us. everyone has to take a share of the blame here, from the sfa to strachan, the players and us. If we show acceptance to what has been served up since 2000 then we get the team we deserve. There's loyalty/following the team everywhere and then there's blindly accepting Mediocrity.

I will be back next year despite uttering the words "I won't be back" after the Germany match. Yes I know we had a chance after that but I was furious after that match. We were very poor in Georgia and then put in a gutsy performance against the best in the world, it was typical of our team over the last 15 years. I felt anger not pride.

It' does have something to do with the fans.

How so?

A) the team sfa and player don't worry about defeat as much because we'll still support them?

B) the sfa / clubs etc aren't bothered about producing better players because we'll still support them?

Don't buy either and can't think of any of reasons fans could be blamed for the failure of the team.

How so?

A) the team sfa and player don't worry about defeat as much because we'll still support them?

B) the sfa / clubs etc aren't bothered about producing better players because we'll still support them?

Don't buy either and can't think of any of reasons fans could be blamed for the failure of the team.

I have already explained it, when we as fans show that we accept whats on offer nothing will change. Strachan himself said as much by saying the fans applaud the players efforts. If that's what the fans think is an acceptable campaign then they have the team they deserve.

I have already explained it, when we as fans show that we accept whats on offer nothing will change. Strachan himself said as much by saying the fans applaud the players efforts. If that's what the fans think is an acceptable campaign then they have the team they deserve.

You seem keen to lay the blame with someone but not sure who, is it Strachan? The players? The fans?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34502121

Scotland: Willie Miller warns over 'celebrating failure'

The Tartan Army are in danger of "celebrating failure," according to former Scotland defender Willie Miller.

Scotland ended their Euro 2016 campaign with a 6-0 thumping of Gibraltar to finish fourth in Group D - missing out on qualification.

"We've got euphoria tonight and in a way that saddens me too," Miller told BBC Scotland's Sportsound.

"We're basically celebrating failure.

For me, this was the opportunity for any manager to qualify."

Gordon Strachan has yet to confirm whether he will remain as Scotland manager for their 2018 World Cup qualification campaign, saying he will have a "debrief" following the victory against Gibraltar.

Miller, who said he has been impressed by Strachan's efforts with the player at his disposal, has warned of the dangers of lauding failure to qualify for major tournaments.

"You've got to sit down, look through it and be honest with yourself," said the former Aberdeen and Scotland defender.

"The performance tonight was good and I just think that the Scottish fans are now used to not qualifying; that they grasp onto anything and they celebrate it.

"I'm not having a go at them in any way at all, I'd just like to see us getting to a major championships."

Miller added: "For me, this was the opportunity for any manager to qualify. Third place gets you a play-off spot and second place gets you automatic qualification - the best chance for any manager to qualify for a major championships. And we haven't been able to do it."

The Sportsound pundit said it was important for Strachan to believe he could get more from his players.

"What I would hate to see is all that enthusiasm and bonding going on just now, is that it turns sour," said Miller.

"We've seen it happen in the past - it turns sour in the next campaign because it doesn't get off to a positive start.

"If we don't qualify in the next campaign then that is failure - two qualification attempts from the manager and I wouldn't like to see that happening to Gordon because I think he has done a fine job with the players that he's got."

1F7F4583-E00D-4B18-94BE-A6AEA1CFD434_zps