Hats Off To Sean Maloney - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Hats Off To Sean Maloney

McExpat

Shaun Maloney he will not call time on his Scotland career until the national manager tells him he is not needed.

Asked whether he would continue for the next World Cup campaign, he said: "I love playing for Scotland.

"It will be the manager of Scotland that decides when I stop playing and not me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34504027

Edited by McExpat

Great wee player. Inventive, clever, skillful and a decent striker of the ball.

Glad he's staying on. My player of the campaign.

Going by thus then. Gord mentioned he need to debrief the situation and mentioned the players, board and family. Players seem to want him, SFA too, now up to his family.

Great comment sadly I think his international career coming to an end sorry.

We should have a clear out and I think he is one of them.

I would have been inclined to agree with you. However, he's been excellent for us and he may well be the type of player who can play on at a very good level for a few years yet. He's an intelligent player with an excellent right foot - he doesn't need to rely on speed.

I would have been inclined to agree with you. However, he's been excellent for us and he may well be the type of player who can play on at a very good level for a few years yet. He's an intelligent player with an excellent right foot - he doesn't need to rely on speed.

This.

He seems to be the right type of player who could make an impact as a sub.

If you want the same old next campaign then yes.

scored a couple of important goals if some reflected......but not for the future

Worth being in the squad in future. Scored 5 and forced 2 more this campaign, so it would be silly to leave him out purely on the basis of age. Should he be first choice? Depends how he's playing and how those competing for his place are playing.

I'm not his greatest fan, I don't think he does enough defensively and floats a bit too much, which makes me think we'd be better off with a straight 2 up top, building a partnership and offering different things.

Maloney does offer something different tho, if you wanted to change out an Anya or a Forrest, then Maloneys about the polar opposite, so a good tool to have while his legs last.

If you want the same old next campaign then yes.

scored a couple of important goals if some reflected......but not for the future

That's not what I'm saying. I'm all for a reasonable clear out. Maloney is just someone who I think could still be genuinely useful.