Alan Hutton - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alan Hutton

TartanJon

I can't actually think of a better Scottish right back just now other than possibly Whittaker although I'm sure others can suggest.

I'll be disappointed if we lose Hutton as he's never dropped out of a squad for club benefit unlike so many others.

I also think he's playing the way Strachan wants otherwise he'd get dropped so his lack of midfield cover is not his fault. That'll be the same no matter who plays.

I can't actually think of a better Scottish right back just now other than possibly Whittaker although I'm sure others can suggest.

I'll be disappointed if we lose Hutton as he's never dropped out of a squad for club benefit unlike so many others.

I also think he's playing the way Strachan wants otherwise he'd get dropped so his lack of midfield cover is not his fault. That'll be the same no matter who plays.

Nae wonder, he wasn't getting a game for long enough :)

I have said for years and years that Hutton is very very poor. I can remember him having a good game against Italy at Hampden, but that's it. Cannot/will not tackle and trots back after his cross doesn't make it past the first man. We have better, we must have eg Shinnie, Paterson etc etc

I have said for years and years that Hutton is very very poor. I can remember him having a good game against Italy at Hampden, but that's it. Cannot/will not tackle and trots back after his cross doesn't make it past the first man. We have better, we must have eg Shinnie, Paterson etc etc

Shinnie is a maybe at best. He should get a chance so we can see what he can do. The rest are definitely not as good as Hutton.

I wouldn't mind seeing Callum Paterson given a go in the upcoming friendly matches ahead of Hutton.

Are you being serious?

If you want to see a defender that can't defend properly then look no further than Paterson. He makes Hutton look like a solid defender.

Are you being serious?

If you want to see a defender that can't defend properly then look no further than Paterson. He makes Hutton look like a solid defender.

He's only twenty, which means that he should improve a lot in the coming years - I think he should be given a chance in friendly matches (particularity as we've got a year before our next competitive game) and we can start bringing through the next generation of players.

The next year should be for experimenting with the pool of players available to Strachan to see who could build the core of his World Cup Qualifying squads.

"He's only twenty, which means that he should improve a lot in the coming years"

I'm sure that was said about Hutton as well - and Whittaker. However I would have to agree with the overall sentiment. I remember reading an interview years back with Strachan and he was talking about how Italian club sides would weed out promising players on the basis of some type of intelligence test. The rationale being that only a certain type of player was 'teachable' and would benefit from coaching, the others just wouldn't learn whether that was tactically or in terms of technique and would eventually fall by the wayside. Hutton and Whittaker both have the necessary attributes to be good modern full backs but have never really been consistent enough, decision making and concentration in particular.

I think the modern full back is expected to defend less and attack more and swap with the right or left midfielder when need be. The problem is that they end up with too many who are good at the lung bursting runs up the park and forget their defensive duties and leave the flanks open for attack from the opposition. It's hard to get that balance of someone who can make the forward runs but sees his defensive duties as his top priority. When Thistle came up from the Championship we had two great full backs at pushing forward in Aaron Taylor-Sinclair and Stephen O'Donnell but often left us exposed at the back and due to the lack of pace from our centre pairing we often shipped goals from nothing.

SHinnie definitely deserves his chance (and has done for a couple of seasons, but Strachan has a blind spot re ICT among other Spiffle 1 teams) but he should be in for Whittaker, not Hutton.

Shinnie and Robertson should definitely be ahead of Whittaker at left-back.

I thought Hutton played reasonably well last night. Couple of very good defensive headers at the back post, few decent supporting runs forward, and if I remember right he won the ball back to start the move for the second goal. And one outrageous dive that the referee bought to give us a free kick in a good position!