Breaking: Possible Indyref 2 Is On - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Breaking: Possible Indyref 2 Is On

Corbyn is actually likely to do very well in England.

The example of Ken Livingstone in London is very relevant.

He even had to stand against the official Blairite Labour candidate and still romped home.

Corbyn will resonate with ordinary people in England in a way not seen for years.

What will happen in Scotland is far less clear though...

Also it will be interesting to see if Corbyn will back some form of autonomy for Scotland, such as a fully federal UK...I think he has supported such an idea in the past.

Also he DOES support the break up of the current UK as he is a lifelong advocate of a United Ireland.

So he cannot logically argue against Scotland's own self-determination or come out as a defender or the Union in the way Brown and Miliband did

There is the key word right there!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You kids know fine well I was referring to the award of contracts to Party donors. It's not new by any means, SNP were involved in a scandal down here when land for a new school was purchased from an SNP councillors husband. That was met with apologists also. :)

Did they need the land for the new school or did they ignore all possible sites and move the school to a location away from the catchment area solely to buy land from a councillors husband in order to increase their wealth?

I have never heard of this so interested to know.

Oh come on! You are the one with the spurious arguments!

By this logic, do you suggest that all party donors (regardless of their politics) are removed from any future tender process's? You do realise there was a tendering process for these contracts don't you?

Ah! But when they're handing NHS contracts to party donors without tendering it brings their process into scrutiny. Again I welcome a probe.

Was the councillor involved in the decision over the purchase of the land? Did she make clear her conflict of interest? Was the school built on the wrong site or was the choice of location controversial?

Yes.

No.

The choice of location is very controversial, the council were reported to the standards commission for passing the vote on the location of the school without a public or media presence. The land was also found not fit for purpose costing additional money to prep the land, and even though protests are still ongoing building work has started.

Did they need the land for the new school or did they ignore all possible sites and move the school to a location away from the catchment area solely to buy land from a councillors husband in order to increase their wealth?

I have never heard of this so interested to know.

Publicly there has only been two sites considered. One the land is owned by the Scottish Executive but every man and their dug could tell you it wasn't suitable for a school as it's always flooding due to being 1000 yards from a loch, the second site and the one they're building on is about 5 minutes walk from there. Both sites have always been protested due to being situated out of any of the 3 main towns and on a 60mph limit road.

Ah! But when they're handing NHS contracts to party donors without tendering it brings their process into scrutiny. Again I welcome a probe.

Totally agree with you on this. If this is found to be happening. No contracts should be awarded without a clear tendering process taking place.

Yes.

No.

The choice of location is very controversial, the council were reported to the standards commission for passing the vote on the location of the school without a public or media presence. The land was also found not fit for purpose costing additional money to prep the land, and even though protests are still ongoing building work has started.

Do you have any links for this? It would be interesting to find out more about it.

Corbyn is actually likely to do very well in England.

The example of Ken Livingstone in London is very relevant.

He even had to stand against the official Blairite Labour candidate and still romped home.

There's a very interesting point in there. Corbyn and the Labour left's powerbase is no longer in the North of England, Wales or Scotland but in London.

That's your actual London and not the Westmister bubble.

One commentator yesterday described London as almost like a different country and he was right.

London's demographics and problems are largely different from the rest of England. Immigration doesn't play itself out in the same way it does elsewhere, affordable housing is a much more major problem and the difference between rich and poor is starker there than anywhere in the country. Corbyn talks about the social cleansing of London and he is spot on there.

Now clearly Corbyn's support came from all over the country but I'm unsure how policies that play well in London will go down in the Midlands, the North West of England or Wales. Scotland is largely irrelevant in this as politics in Scotland will be defined by the constitution until such time as that's settled.

Do you have any links for this? It would be interesting to find out more about it.

I'll need to rake through the local paper website, and the council minutes, I'm expecting company but I'll get what I can just now (I hope you like surveys, they have a weird paywall):

You'll need to ignore politicking from the Labour councillors here. But regarding the decision being taken without public & media:

http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/garnockvalley/articles/2014/01/03/483733-row-over-plans-to-buy-land-for-garnock-campus/

On looking for the councillor husband story I came across this which I didn't know about... Same councillor.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-councillor-anthea-dickson-facing-land-vote-probe-1-2235259

Concern over site:

http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/garnockvalley/articles/2014/05/25/499067-safety-fears-over-new-garnock-campus-site/

Lack of public consultation:

http://www.northayrshirelabour.co.uk/labour_denounces_lack_of_consultation_on_cut_down_garnock_campus

Edited by Scunnered

At first I was thinking this is too soon following last year's vote. Then it got me thinking that this could be an absolute blinder depending on the exact wording. I predict that the SNP has no intention in calling a referendum in the next 5 years but by including references / triggers in this manifesto it shows that they've not abandoned their core goal and the "threat" of it remains so it won't be forgotten from the Unionist parties. Continuous polls over the next few years will also ensure media coverage remains.

In Nic We Trust.

Labour will self destruct unfortunately.

much as I am warming to Corbyn we have our own anti-nuclear, anti-austerity party. I simply don't know what Corbyn could do to get the 45 to give up the SNP and vote for him when we could just propose working together. He won't win much there, especially if he sticks to his ultra-unionist line.

However watching TH on Marr this morning quite shocked me - what kind of party elects a leader and deputy leader with such divergent views - this is a potential leadership nightmare. Dont fancy being the party whip...

Isn't Corbyn "a friend of Ireland" and a united Ireland? As such he could be framed as wanting "the break-up of Britain".

Which could mean having to get his arguments straight about Scotland - while not losing Labour 'unionists' to the Conservative & Unionist party.

Isn't Corbyn "a friend of Ireland" and a united Ireland? As such he could be framed as wanting "the break-up of Britain".

Which could mean having to get his arguments straight about Scotland - while not losing Labour 'unionists' to the Conservative & Unionist party.

He's in Scotland next week. We'll see what he says. An apology for Labours conduct would be lovely.

I'll need to rake through the local paper website, and the council minutes, I'm expecting company but I'll get what I can just now (I hope you like surveys, they have a weird paywall):

You'll need to ignore politicking from the Labour councillors here. But regarding the decision being taken without public & media:

http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/garnockvalley/articles/2014/01/03/483733-row-over-plans-to-buy-land-for-garnock-campus/

On looking for the councillor husband story I came across this which I didn't know about... Same councillor.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/snp-councillor-anthea-dickson-facing-land-vote-probe-1-2235259

Concern over site:

http://www.ardrossanherald.com/news/garnockvalley/articles/2014/05/25/499067-safety-fears-over-new-garnock-campus-site/

Lack of public consultation:

http://www.northayrshirelabour.co.uk/labour_denounces_lack_of_consultation_on_cut_down_garnock_campus

Cheers mate, I'll have a wee look later on :ok:

Pointless voting Labour cause of Corbyn as he's on borrowed time, but interesting seeing what he and Tom Watson try and raise as agenda's. I think it's great such relatively diverse politics are here, if the media were actually like their philosophy espouses we could be having some really good debates. Trying to push things forwards instead of just 10 parties trying to occupy the center ground.

much as I am warming to Corbyn we have our own anti-nuclear, anti-austerity party.

Greens? It's not SNP as their frozen council tax has tightened local authority spends. Also their GE manifesto mirrored Labour but with some extra borrowing as it makes sense when a country spends more than it earns and also has a debt to pay off then you get into more debt.

Greens? It's not SNP as their frozen council tax has tightened local authority spends. Also their GE manifesto mirrored Labour but with some extra borrowing as it makes sense when a country spends more than it earns and also has a debt to pay off then you get into more debt.

I don't think any of their support actually believes the SNP anti austerity stance. That would take an absurd amount of ignorance.

much as I am warming to Corbyn we have our own anti-nuclear, anti-austerity party. I simply don't know what Corbyn could do to get the 45 to give up the SNP and vote for him when we could just propose working together. He won't win much there, especially if he sticks to his ultra-unionist line.

However watching TH on Marr this morning quite shocked me - what kind of party elects a leader and deputy leader with such divergent views - this is a potential leadership nightmare. Dont fancy being the party whip...

Labour generally have a lefty and a righty in their leadership team: think Foot/Healey; or Prescott/Blair; or Kinnock/Hattersley (Kinnock was initially a lefty but rapidly changed his tune).

I think Tom Harris could do a good job for Labour. He's a pugnacious wee guy who can do all the politicking and get in the Tories' faces, while Corbyn plays the sage figurehead.

One of Corbyn's first acts is to appoint ratface Ian Murray in the shadow cabinet

Big changes

Lonely Murray was pretty much guaranteed a job, no matter who became leader.

He's in Scotland next week. We'll see what he says. An apology for Labours conduct would be lovely.

Absolutely. I am sure Corbyn will be horrified if and when he learns about some of the stuff Labour in Scotland got up to during the referendum.

I may have imagined it but I am sure I read somewhere that he said Labour made a mistake in joining Better Together.