Lowest For Years - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Lowest For Years

kumnio

Totally agree with the spanking handed out. Thought it was Fletcher inside the box ?

In the first half? It was Mulgrew and looked outside the box (we had a pretty good view of it in the East).

We scored from the free kick anyway....

Edited by Toepoke

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ShedTA, on 08 Sept 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

Agreed. The score didn't reflect the game. Comprehensively outplayed. Some of their one touch stuff was superb.

Yup. One thing that struck me was how intelligent their positioning and movement was. Goetze always offside, dragging our defence back. Ozil staying so wide and daring our defence not to pick him up. Then Goetze would pull left, nearer Ozil. While the left-back would also get forward. Meaning they had 3 men up against Hutton and (when he could be arsed) Forrest.

They're so intelligent and another level totally to what we are. And that's before we get in to some of their one touch passing.

Yup. One thing that struck me was how intelligent their positioning and movement was. Goetze always offside, dragging our defence back. Ozil staying so wide and daring our defence not to pick him up. Then Goetze would pull left, nearer Ozil. While the left-back would also get forward. Meaning they had 3 men up against Hutton and (when he could be arsed) Forrest.

They're so intelligent and another level totally to what we are. And that's before we get in to some of their one touch passing.

As a result of that they always seemed to have a man spare.always seemed to get to loose balls first. Classy stuff at times.

Must admit I got nothing positive from our performance last night. Defensively we where terrible and Strachan sticking to Fletcher was bewildering. Forrest was a waste of a jersey as well. I don't even want to consider the ifs and buts of the remaining two games. I have written our chances off so anything will be a bonus.

Edited by EddardStark

I left Hampden last night completely pissed off. Not at losing 3-2 to the World Champions or the way we played but at the fact that we showed none of the hunger, desire, determination etc on Friday in the game it mattered most. We should be in a position where winning the last two games would see us qualify, now winning the last two games doesn't guarantee a playoff place.

Must admit I got nothing positive from our performance last night. Defensively we where terrible and Strachan sticking to Fletcher was bewildering. Forrest was a waste of a jersey as well. I don't even want to consider the ifs and buts of the remaining two games. I have written our chances off so anything will be a bonus.

To be honest after Friday last night almost didn't matter. Never going to win it. There's now two things that must happen for us to qualify for play offs. We must beat Poland and Germany must not get beat by Ireland. If that happens we will reach play offs provided we beat gibralter, as drawing with either Poland or Ireland on points we would go through on the head to head results.

I left Hampden last night completely pissed off. Not at losing 3-2 to the World Champions or the way we played but at the fact that we showed none of the hunger, desire, determination etc on Friday in the game it mattered most. We should be in a position where winning the last two games would see us qualify, now winning the last two games doesn't guarantee a playoff place.

Yes it does.

They're a fantatistic team (Germany, not us).

Their movement is amazing, and as pointed out they have the technical skills to match their physical and mental sharpness. There's no shame in losing to them.

Agreed. The manner of defeat was not the best. We scored2 but both from set pieces. Did anyone else think we looked far more capable when brown came off?

Beat Poland and Germany win in Ireland sets us up for Playoff in Faro :) . I'm as pissed off as well, wereally are a team of bottlers imo but .........Got to cling on the positives :) !!!!!

Yep even a draw for Ireland against germany is no good if they don't beat Poland. Likewise nothing will do for us except a win against Poland. Always going to come down to this game.

Yes it does.

If you actually look at the table, I still think it's possible we'll end up 3rd. However, as unlikely as it seems, if Ireland beat Germany and Poland then beat Ireland, we cant catch either of them for 3rd place. I think it's more likely though that Ireland will lose their last two games which means all is not lost - a win against Poland the same night as Germany hopefully beat Ireland would leave us in a not too shabby position (this week considered).

That said, given how I feel currently, I'd be nervous we could go to Gibraltar and churn out a win under pressure. Im sure Im being very harsh on the players their but I really doubt our ability to perform when there's pressure and expectation.

And if we somehow got through all of that, we have a play off to look forward to - right now, I kinda wonder what's the point given how f***ing diabolical we seem to have become.

We were very poor last night. A this restoring pride nonsense is exactly that. I didn't expect us towin but we barely were able to string more than 4 passes before it was lumped up the park. Quite how we scored twice am no sure.

1 point from the last 9 has killed us, Ireland Georgia games were there for the taking and we were not good enough.

The truth is, anyone that finishes behind those Irish hammer throwers doesn't deserve to qualify.

We were very poor last night. A this restoring pride nonsense is exactly that. I didn't expect us towin but we barely were able to string more than 4 passes before it was lumped up the park. Quite how we scored twice am no sure.

1 point from the last 9 has killed us, Ireland Georgia games were there for the taking and we were not good enough.

The truth is, anyone that finishes behind those Irish hammer throwers doesn't deserve to qualify.

Spot on! It still embarrasses me that some of our fans were celebrating a point in Dublin like we had just taken a point against a top nation. How can we expect the players to develop a winning mentality when some fans lack this?

Spot on! It still embarrasses me that some of our fans were celebrating a point in Dublin like we had just taken a point against a top nation. How can we expect the players to develop a winning mentality when some fans lack this?

I'd expect them to develop a winning mentality because they're professional sportsmen and it should be ingrained in them, not dependent on the attitude of some supporters. No way the supporters' thoughts should affect the players themselves, that's crazy. If it was true you'd be as well putting the supporters on the pitch and not bothering with the players!

In the space of 180 minutes of football (2 shots on target), we've went from being in a strong automatic qualifying position, to holding on with our fingernails to the chance of maybe possibly getting a 3rd place....depending on results.

Hardly a cause for celebration.

Maybe you have just built your hopes up a wee bit too much. IMO, from the moment Poland beat Germany we have never been favorites for an automatic spot. The last 2 games have been very poor especially in terms of performance but those two results were not unexpected, OMO.

Two games to go. One at home against a team that we should be able to beat at Hampden, and one against minnows who probably wont cause an upset, even against us :wink2: . Win them both and we are in the playoff. Unless of course Ireland beat Germany. Fair lay to them if they do. Our two biggest rivals in the group, would have managed to beat the WC holders and we haven't managed to take a point off them.

If we don't beat Poland, that will be the result that knocks us out (mibbee?). If you only win 3 of your 5 home games you can't expect to qualify, IMO.

The campaign will be well and truly defined after the Poland game. Win and WGS is a hero again as we'll finish third which will be progress as fourth seeds. Draw or lose and we'll finish fourth and as fourth seeds won't have progressed under him at all. These are the fine lines we are dealing with.

Recent performances are concerning and it's going to take an exceptional performance or a moment of brilliance to win. I am reserving judgement and will conclude after the Poland game.

Edited by Saint4805

Maybe you have just built your hopes up a wee bit too much. IMO, from the moment Poland beat Germany we have never been favorites for an automatic spot. The last 2 games have been very poor especially in terms of performance but those two results were not unexpected, OMO.

Two games to go. One at home against a team that we should be able to beat at Hampden, and one against minnows who probably wont cause an upset, even against us :wink2: . Win them both and we are in the playoff. Unless of course Ireland beat Germany. Fair lay to them if they do. Our two biggest rivals in the group, would have managed to beat the WC holders and we haven't managed to take a point off them.

If we don't beat Poland, that will be the result that knocks us out (mibbee?). If you only win 3 of your 5 home games you can't expect to qualify, IMO.

We can have no complaints if we don't beat Poland. What concerns me is how easy Germany had it last night and as some have said they didn't even come out of third gear. I will bet the Irish give them a far tougher game and wouldn't be surprised if they get a draw.

Judgement to follow after the Poland game.

It's a disappointing position to be in given our performances in the first 5 games were very good. In addition, we were playing good football, creating chances and looked, as someone mentioned earlier, we had created a team that was greater than the sum of its parts.

Georgia was the game the game that knocked us out. Performance and effort last night left me wondering where that performance was on friday, Showed that there is goals in the team.

The german sides one touch stuff was amazing to watch, but the thing that stuck out for me was 9 times out 10 when a german player recieved the ball, he knew where his next pass was heading. They were 1st to every 2nd ball as well, theyre reading of the game was phenomanol.

They hounded us as well when we had the ball, and we for most of the game didnt with them. But thats maybe down to fitness.

The fans reaction to the goals and when we started hounding them a bit after our goals, should go to show strachan that the fans want us to go down fighting, and he should be passing that onto the players.

I wouldn't get rid of strachan unless someone better was lined up, he is doing the best with what he has. We as a team, maybe just aren't good enough anymore. Could be wrong though.

Edited by daddybuc16

We had 2 shots on goal in entire match against France, one of them from 35 yards, happened to end up in the back of the net.

That's the sort of luck you need against teams of that quality, and that's what Gordon Strachan is talking about luck.

One German player is worth more than the entire Scotland team.

Scotland should be proud of their efforts last night.