Unpc - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Conversation in the pub the night mind when you used tae say things that ur noo frowned upon like poof, lezzie,mongo we came up wae darkies wolleper supper oot the chippy fur a blackpuddin sorry if this offends but we were young in the 70s and 80s

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the sixties Tony Hart created a comic strip fur blue peter called paki the elephant

Pachyderm.

The language you choose to use reflects your attitude to that which the language conveys. Terms common 30+ years back are no longer used because attitudes have changed - for most.

My mum still uses the phrase " Do you think I come up the Clyde in a Banana boat?"

Only recently did I find out that this was in relation to people from the West Indies/Africa arriving in Glasgow and just being naive to the Weegie patter.

Only Fools and Horses had a good few number of references that you wouldn't get away with nowadays. Most have been edited out now but there was one on at the weekend where Del Boy was selling watches in the market and they were £10 each but he said "£10 each but £15 tothe black guy at the back there"

I think the guy in Porridge called McLean used to get called "Black Jock"

When you watch On the Buses now the sexism in that is unreal!! Just wait till the Feminazi's see it ??

when i was at school almost every second insult contained the word 'black'. However it wasn't aimed as a racist insult it was questioning their lack of hygiene, area where they stayed, family finances, etc. 'blacko', 'black neck', 'black barsteward' etc.

The other 50% of the time it was disability based. 'spazzy', 'mongo'. etc.

aren't children lovely?