Tamb Running Thread - Page 8 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

I did the Berlin Marathon a few weeks ago, and was an incredible experience! - Like many, I got knocked back for the 2014 London Marathon, so applied for Berlin and got in! The heat was a killer, and I struggled the last 8 miles, but enjoyed most of it - box ticked, and now to find a different challenge

An Ultra?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done Cove!!! You can be proud of you!

I lost 35kgs by starting running and eating more healthy products.

I was more than 100kgs, running 3 or 4kms was a nightmare, and now i'm running approx 150kms/month, with a 37:50 personnal best on 10k (and 1:31 on semi).

Well done Cove!!! You can be proud of you!

I lost 35kgs by starting running and eating more healthy products.

I was more than 100kgs, running 3 or 4kms was a nightmare, and now i'm running approx 150kms/month, with a 37:50 personnal best on 10k (and 1:31 on semi).

Cheers!

Was good to meet you after the Georgia game.

22.19 for Falkirk parkrun yesterday. I reckon i was on for a PB but got bad stich just after heart break hill, never had one before when running, it's not pleasant.

I get them almost every time I run. They're horrible. On my 10k PB I got one and had to walk for over a minute. My time would've been so much better but for that.

Cheers!

Was good to meet you after the Georgia game.

;-)

I m searching for some "nature races" in Scotland to do it with friends. Something between 10k and 20k (approx), with beautiful landscapes and not all flat if possible. And easily reachable from Glasgow or Edinburgh by train. Can you advice me? There are surely some near the Highlands?

I tried to send you a pm but your box looks to be full so didn't worked.

Thanks to you or anybody who will help me.

Edited by McVinceSCT

I am signed up to do a half marathon in Den Haag in may ( first half), but cannot do any running just now because of an ingrown toenail. Highly annoying. Anyone know how long those normally take to clear up? I am itching to go out running (a sentence i never thought i would say 5 years ago)

McVinceSCT - some food for thought for races on some beautiful west coast islands!

Train from Glasgow then ferry from Ardrossan to Brodick. Arran Half marathon:
Bus from Glasgow to Portree:
This one is a special event. Held on a unique island, take the train from Glasgow to Oban, then the ferry to Coll. Spend the night and have a ceilidh in the village hall.
Train from Glasgow to Oban, ferry to Castlebay - it is a long journey but worth it, one of Scotland's most perfect islands:

I can highly recommend the Skye and Barra halves. Barra is very difficult to secure places, I'd look into it straight away if interested. I do the Skye half every year, it is a great event which the word is out on a bit now and numbers doing it are growing. Both are, fairly obviously, on quiet roads. I'd also recommend the Aviemore half most of which is on forestry roads through some lovely scenery. A shorter trail run I do is the Devilla Forest15k in February, which starts and finishes at Tulliallan near Dunfermline.

I prefer Skye as a run, the scenery is lovely and we have friends who stay just south of Portree (Braes) so we can make a weekend of it. It is hilly though, much the toughest of the half marathons I've done. For some reason we always seem to get lovely weather for it which isn't ideal for the run, but accentuates the beautiful scenery. Barra is basically a circuit of the island, not such a nice run in my view, but the party in Castlebay after (Vatersay Boys included) takes some beating. I'm doing Glen Clova in a couple of weeks, another that is worth doing.

Edited by Pool Q

I got a Ronhill jacket when I started running - it's more like a kagoule that goes down as far as the waist, so it's to keep you dry rather than to keep you warm. Was about £30 in the sale at the Run4It shop in Holburn Street in March. I wore it when I was out for a run this lunchime and it did the job pretty well.

There's a few options on the Ronhill site - http://www.ronhill.com/men-s-outwear